Which RWS decks do I have?

Marirowana

Hi,

I just bought three RWS decks on the local flea market - lucky catch :) I like them all, because their colouring is so different and they don't have the copyright printed on the front. But, which versions do I have?

I'm especially interested in their age. They all aged very nicely, especially the B&W one. Are they worth selling, or keeping? I tried searching in Google or the forum, but it wasn't of much help.

Let me know if you need more pics or information. Thank you for your patience ;)

A Dutch deck, with on the box the Hanged Man and on the back the Wheel of Fortune. Information: Uitgeverij (publisher) Kosmos Utrecht/Antwerpen. ISBN 9021513560
Very bright colours on the front. The backs are white, with a pink ankh. They have a very nice papery touch, not glossy whatsoever. The titles look handwritten.
There are two title cards, no LWB.

Dutch deck, same box as #1 but this time without colouring. The cardstock feels the same, but is slightly thicker than #1. Card backs are the same, but they have a different publisher? Information on box: Uitgeverij Bert Bakker / Den Haag.
Also two title cards (which are almost empty, only saying '78 Tarotkaarten'). No LWB. No ISBN.

Also a Dutch deck, but this one feels much more new with a more glossy finishing . The colours are more dull. The backs are dark blue or purple, with a cross and a rose. Information: Uitgeverij Schors - Amsterdam. ISBN 906378363
There is a © symbol present on the box.

Attachments

• #1 Colour Ankh.jpg
    #1 Colour Ankh.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 716
  • #2 BW Ankh.jpg
    #2 BW Ankh.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 604
  • #3 Colour Cross.jpg
    #3 Colour Cross.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 578

Marirowana

Thanks, Pam O! I'll dive into it.

I found the black and white version on those sites, but the year of publication seems to be unknown...

I'm still not sure about the other two, I need more time to read thos sites more closely. Thank you!

coredil

Thanks, Pam O! I'll dive into it.

I found the black and white version on those sites, but the year of publication seems to be unknown...

I'm still not sure about the other two, I need more time to read thos sites more closely. Thank you!

Wow! What a nice find you did!
Indeed the B&W is quite rare and to my knowledge the only existing B&W Waite-Smith!

Congratulations!

BTW you can ask AT member truelighth.
She knows a lot about these decks ;)

Best regards

gregory

AND truelighth is Dutch, so...

If you google the ISBN 9021513560 you come up with a page that says 1979.

The other one comes up with nothing but phone scams :) It's a short number for an ISBN though...

I've SEEN that rosy cross back though...

AND - I just cropped and googled it and it comes up on a Swedish site as used by Konigsfurt Urania. But recently, and I can't see what language her cards are in !

The b/w MIGHT be in Kaplan, I'll go look.

ETA no - but the b/w one IS certainly in Jensen's book - Flemish titles, ankh on the back - ca 1970, he says. The other sounds like one he describes as "almost identical" but in colour, with the same back, was put out by Veen (rather than Kosmos), Utrecht/Amsterdam. Same date.

rwcarter

Some existing threads on your decks:
Ankh back Rider Waite
Is there an original b&w RWS deck?

I have a vague memory about a "Bakker RWS". I searched this forum for Bakker and came up with those results. I believe the rose and cross deck is a Dutch (?) language version from Konigsfurt. I think I have one of those. I'll have to look tonight when I get home.

rwcarter

I do have a different version of the Rose and cross deck as mine has a two part box, and the language on the cards is different. My LWB has 1993 on the front cover in Roman Numerals. Your deck is in a tuck box, and has the Magician on it, while my LWB has the World on it.

So the deck may still be from Konigsfurt as I believe they are the only ones who use that back on their RWS decks. But I can't tell you any more about it.

Rodney

Marirowana

Thank you coredil! If I get stuck, I'll contact truelighth :)

If you google the ISBN 9021513560 you come up with a page that says 1979.

The other one comes up with nothing but phone scams :) It's a short number for an ISBN though...

I've SEEN that rosy cross back though...

AND - I just cropped and googled it and it comes up on a Swedish site as used by Konigsfurt Urania. But recently, and I can't see what language her cards are in !

The b/w MIGHT be in Kaplan, I'll go look.

ETA no - but the b/w one IS certainly in Jensen's book - Flemish titles, ankh on the back - ca 1970, he says. The other sounds like one he describes as "almost identical" but in colour, with the same back, was put out by Veen (rather than Kosmos), Utrecht/Amsterdam. Same date.

Thanks, gregory :) when I googled the ISBNs, only some second hand sellers showed up with even less information.

The description in Jensen's book sounds like the ones I have, indeed :) I'm going to assume they're from around 1970. Interesting enough, I find the BW version on some sites, saying that the Ankh on the back is upside down. Mine is upright.

I checked again, there's nothing about 'Veen' on the box ot title card... And while checking the box, I saw they misspelled Colman, as 'Coleman' :surprise:

Some existing threads on your decks:
Ankh back Rider Waite
Is there an original b&w RWS deck?

I have a vague memory about a "Bakker RWS". I searched this forum for Bakker and came up with those results. I believe the rose and cross deck is a Dutch (?) language version from Konigsfurt. I think I have one of those. I'll have to look tonight when I get home.

Thanks, those threads are interesting :)

I do have a different version of the Rose and cross deck as mine has a two part box, and the language on the cards is different. My LWB has 1993 on the front cover in Roman Numerals. Your deck is in a tuck box, and has the Magician on it, while my LWB has the World on it.

So the deck may still be from Konigsfurt as I believe they are the only ones who use that back on their RWS decks. But I can't tell you any more about it.

Rodney

Thanks for checking it, Rodney. I think it's the Dutch version of the Königsfurt, too :) it gives me more keywords to search with. I think mine is from 1998.