Thoth Tarot and Elemental Dignities

Ranzel

I bought a Thoth Tarot three days ago and I've been trying very hard to read it according to the RWS card meanings I'm already familiar with. But, my head just went on spinning around and around because I can't seem to construct a formal reading out of it using the Celtic Cross Spread and not even with just the 3 card spread. I feel so frustrated. Maybe because of the lack of image expressions normally found in other standard decks.

So, what I tried next was to read it using Elemental Dignities and surprisingly it worked! I tried ignoring the places of the cards in the spread and instead concentrate on the question and read the cards as a whole group.

Is Thoth Tarot supposed to be read only using Elemental Dignities? Or could it be also read like the RWS? Are there any special spread for this deck only?

Very Confused Now - Ranzel

gregory

If you want to understand the Thoth, you need to read the Book Of Thoth.
It's even online somewhere, I think.

If you want to read with it as you would any other deck - well, good luck....

franniee

Ranzel said:
Is Thoth Tarot supposed to be read only using Elemental Dignities? Or could it be also read like the RWS? Are there any special spread for this deck only?

Very Confused Now - Ranzel

Hi Ranzel,

I began reading with the thoth 4 months ago or so. I have the duquette book and was trudging along through it but I had my breakthrough the minute I dropped the books and any set meanings in my head and read it strictly intuitively.

My advice is to try reading the cards by looking at them as if it was your first time seeing them. Pay attention to symbols in the cards, colors, images they invoke and read them that way. See what you get. This deck is very deep and so lovely. I found when I eliminated any restrictions or rules it really opened up for me.

After you get the hang of the deck then maybe you want to pick up the duquette book and the book of thoth and see if it adds more meanings to your readings. This is what I have done and I think it is has been effective....but of course everyone has their own way. :heart:

Umbrae

Ranzel said:
I bought a Thoth Tarot three days ago and I've been trying very hard to read it according to the RWS card meanings I'm already familiar with....

...Is Thoth Tarot supposed to be read only using Elemental Dignities? Or could it be also read like the RWS? Are there any special spread for this deck only?
Reading the Crowley Thoth with RWS meanings is akin to going to Hong Kong and speaking Japanese, and wondering why everybody looks at me funny.

Elemental associations are a 'part' (not the whole picture) of the Crowley Thoth, but not the entire picture.

Please read "The Book of Thoth" by Aleister Crowley & "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" by Lon Milo DuQuette, if you'd like to progress in this arena.

only my opinion, mileage may vary...

gregory

Umbrae said:
Reading the Crowley Thoth with RWS meanings is akin to going to Hong Kong and speaking Japanese, and wondering why everybody looks at me funny.

Elemental associations are a 'part' (not the whole picture) of the Crowley Thoth, but not the entire picture.

Please read "The Book of Thoth" by Aleister Crowley & "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" by Lon Milo DuQuette, if you'd like to progress in this arena.

only my opinion, mileage may vary...
Mileage matches my earlier post but with added Milo !

Ranzel

Hi gregory, franniee & umbrae,

Thanks a lot for your advices. I'll try to search around your recommended resources.

Many thanks,
Ranzel