Use of the Body, or: The Gestural Component of Magick

thorhammer

Next question. I'm hoping this will spark a good discussion that might even be helpful to others down the track.

I practice yoga, in the sense of the modern fad for yoga-as-fitness. I also practice yoga in the sense that Crowley discusses in the beginning of Liber ABA (I haven't made it far in yet :p), though not well. I work hard at it though. I have always seen the use of the body as a magickal act, and thus my physical life is a constant sacrament, always being perfected and tweaked towards what I feel is the ultimate in Niyama (loosely, clean-living). Hence my understanding of movement as meditation is deeper than most; karate, tai chi and yoga have all played an instrumental part in my spiritual formation.

In the use of my body as a magickal tool/weapon, I have come to realise recently that in the practice of Western esotericism/magick, there are a number of different aspects of physicality, aside from sex magick which I am not going to touch on (please do me the courtesy of leaving it out as far as possible - it will only confuse me here). These aspects are:

1. yoga in the Crowleyan sense (one asana practiced for the purpose of focusing the mind)
2. the drawing of sigils and marks such as for Goetic daemons and the Pentagrams, Hexagrams, Mark of the Beast etc.
3. the assumption of God-forms
4. the signs of the grades, of L.V.X., N.O.X., Mater Triumphans etc.

I *get* 1. and 2. I'm working on 1. and making good progress from a standing start; the use of 2. has always been a part of my (romanticised) imaginings of ceremonial magick. These I'm cool with.

3. is difficult for me. I've practiced a little with Hoor-Pa-Kraat after reading Rodney Orpheus' Abrahadabra and I found it a very tiring and challenging but ultimately somewhat successful practice. I need to keep working on it, but I don't know enough about the other Gods to work with them as well, and I know that using only one will skew my growth. Also . . . what's it for??? What's the point of it??? Halp!

4., though, is the biggest thing for me. Reading the descriptions of rituals (let's use Liber Resh vel Helios as the example) gives me the impression that one makes the gestures then speaks. I watched a video on youtube recently that I think ceewayne recommended, of the Star Ruby being performed, and the guy doing it made a flurry of movements with his arms that made him look like nothing so much as Michael Jackson and I fully expected that dodgy eighties pirouette to come out. Then he began speaking. I personally got the sense during performing the rituals (Resh again) that the signs are meant to accompany the words. So when I do my dawn Resh, I make Isis Mourning (L.) along with "Hail unto thee . . . strength"; Typhon (V.) with "Who sailest(/travellest) across . . . helm."; and Osiris Risen (X.) with "Hail unto thee . . . night." Now, I know that someone will say do what's right for me, and I am, but I have a broader question.

What the hell do they all mean? In the example of Resh, I can see the three signs as enacting the story of Osiris' death etc, which is okay. I won't even get into the question of how "Old Aeon" that feels to me. But what about the rest of it? I guess I want to know what intent to inject into the making of these signs, as I find them difficult to do with anything approaching meaning. If I'm not feeling ridiculous, that's only because I'm getting inured to the ridiculousness of them.

Wisdom, please?

\m/ Kat

ravenest

Arrrgh, time waits for no man and I'm out of it.

One take I have on it is like - are you familiar with Mudra? I like the concept of body mudra when one assumes a specific physical or 'god' form.

The benefiets of 'The sign of silence' if one 'becomes' that little Egyptian kid are quiet amazing (and I thought Uncle Al was exagerating!)

thorhammer

Exaggerating where?? I wanna read! Incidentally, "that Egyptian kid" is who gave me my motto ;)

\m/ Kat

ravenest

thorhammer said:
Exaggerating where?? I wanna read! Incidentally, "that Egyptian kid" is who gave me my motto ;)

\m/ Kat
Ah, you know me, straight off the top of my head. Its not something I can reference. I think it appears in a few places, something like - after years of practice one will begin to realise, or one will begin to experience ... its in relation to a few things; pentagram ritual, beginning of Liber O, Comments on Liber Resh and The Sign of Silence, maybe that one is referenced in Index to Liber Abba? (not at home again so not near my library.)

t.town.troy

thorhammer said:
4., though, is the biggest thing for me. Reading the descriptions of rituals (let's use Liber Resh vel Helios as the example) gives me the impression that one makes the gestures then speaks. I watched a video on youtube recently that I think ceewayne recommended, of the Star Ruby being performed, and the guy doing it made a flurry of movements with his arms that made him look like nothing so much as Michael Jackson and I fully expected that dodgy eighties pirouette to come out. Then he began speaking. I personally got the sense during performing the rituals (Resh again) that the signs are meant to accompany the words. So when I do my dawn Resh, I make Isis Mourning (L.) along with "Hail unto thee . . . strength"; Typhon (V.) with "Who sailest(/travellest) across . . . helm."; and Osiris Risen (X.) with "Hail unto thee . . . night." Now, I know that someone will say do what's right for me, and I am, but I have a broader question.

What the hell do they all mean? In the example of Resh, I can see the three signs as enacting the story of Osiris' death etc, which is okay. I won't even get into the question of how "Old Aeon" that feels to me. But what about the rest of it? I guess I want to know what intent to inject into the making of these signs, as I find them difficult to do with anything approaching meaning. If I'm not feeling ridiculous, that's only because I'm getting inured to the ridiculousness of them.

Wisdom, please?

\m/ Kat
That Michael Jackson part cracked me up. :) Now back on topic.
You are not alone in thinking that the words accompany the gestures, count me in. It seems right to me to do so. For example: the four adorations; sign of the enterer while invoking, followed by the sign of silence (to "stop" the current).
I could be all wrong comparing the 5=6 signs with the above, but it feels the same.
I don't belong to any order or group, so I can't speak from the experience of a tradition.

Adept

In Taoist magic the words/sounds/intonations accompany the physical movements whether internal or external or both.

In all the other magick I've done the audio/vocal was typically used to enhance the other sensory effects or tools. I surely could be inaccurate about this statement, but the only reason there would be to separate them is due to the specific inability to use them appropriately all at once; therefore, a singular, linear usage. Also, it could simply be the way it was learned (or that's all they're willing to show.).

I've found that more usable energy is generated when conducted together.

Best wishes in your journey.

t.town.troy

That makes sense, about not being able to use them all at once.
The movement/gesture being something to meditate on, then the words to sum it up?
:D Oh yeah, I like the "Egyptian kid" moniker, also "ghost boy" was one I've read here. (he's missing in some editions of the book of thoth book)

ravenest

Adept said:
In Taoist magic the words/sounds/intonations accompany the physical movements whether internal or external or both.

In all the other magick I've done the audio/vocal was typically used to enhance the other sensory effects or tools. I surely could be inaccurate about this statement, but the only reason there would be to separate them is due to the specific inability to use them appropriately all at once; therefore, a singular, linear usage. Also, it could simply be the way it was learned (or that's all they're willing to show.).

I've found that more usable energy is generated when conducted together.

Best wishes in your journey.

Hey Adept. welcome to the forum ... martial arts hey ? ....hmmmmmm

Adept

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, for a bit over 25 years.

And to answer the question above-- the words don't sum up as much as they enhance and/or assist in the energy in various ways (e.g., focus, nature and increase).

thorhammer

ravenest said:
Hey Adept. welcome to the forum ... martial arts hey ? ....hmmmmmm
It's quite the pattern, isn't it, R.?

\m/ Kat