IDS: The Thoth. (We are not afraid of you!)

Scion

For what it's worth, I find EDs much more helpful with the Thoth & Liber T. I don't use reversals with any Crowley-based deck.

PeterS

Curious observation.

I have finally gotten to the part in the Duquette book about the cards Yipee!

But one thing I noticed is that the card images in the book do not have the border. I trimmed my big deck a while back and loved it. I love the fact that the cards are not uniform in size. I just wondered if anyone elsed had noticed that or had trimmed their decks.

Peter

mosaica

PeterS said:
Curious observation.

But one thing I noticed is that the card images in the book do not have the border. I trimmed my big deck a while back and loved it. I love the fact that the cards are not uniform in size. I just wondered if anyone elsed had noticed that or had trimmed their decks.

Peter

I noticed the missing borders in the Duquette book, too. I had fully planned to trim my large deck the minute I received it (and have flirted with making my regular into a mini, but I want to have one with even edges that's easy to shuffle), but for some reason I just can't bring myself to get out the scissors. I have trimmed five or six other decks and usually loved the results, but somehow cutting the Thoth seems ... almost a sacrilege. Perhaps after I've had it for a while and it no longer seems so new, I'll feel ready to do it.

Has the large deck gone OP? I don't see it on Amazon. I guess that's part of it, too. I feel so lucky to have scored a large Swiss that it feels too precious to cut.

PeterS

mosaica said:
Has the large deck gone OP? I don't see it on Amazon. I guess that's part of it, too. I feel so lucky to have scored a large Swiss that it feels too precious to cut.

The only regret I have with trimming is that they are not uniform in size so shuffling is a bit of an issue than before but with them being smaller I can handle it better. I actually waited until I had a second copy before I trimmed it, though. It remains the only deck I have trimmed. Normally borders don't bother me. The next possible deck I will trim is the Lo Scarabeo TArot. When I preordered it the pictures didn't show a border. But I think that the border takes up so much room and diminishes the space for the art work which I like.

I went on amazon and found that they do have one in stock.
http://www.amazon.com/Aleister-Crowley-Thoth-Tarot-Deck/dp/0913866156/ref=ed_oe_o

But I am sure that if you went to Tarot Garden they would have some in stock as well.

Peter

mosaica

PeterS said:
The only regret I have with trimming is that they are not uniform in size so shuffling is a bit of an issue than before but with them being smaller I can handle it better. I actually waited until I had a second copy before I trimmed it, though. It remains the only deck I have trimmed. Normally borders don't bother me. The next possible deck I will trim is the Lo Scarabeo TArot. When I preordered it the pictures didn't show a border. But I think that the border takes up so much room and diminishes the space for the art work which I like.

I went on amazon and found that they do have one in stock.
http://www.amazon.com/Aleister-Crowley-Thoth-Tarot-Deck/dp/0913866156/ref=ed_oe_o

But I am sure that if you went to Tarot Garden they would have some in stock as well.

Peter

That's the standard deck on Amazon, and from US Games. I have a Swiss AG Mueller. You can't get it at Tarot Garden right now, although it says that it's still in print. There's a US Games edition that says it's "large," but it also says the cards measure 3"x5". Is there really a US Games large edition? Who published yours? The difference between the coloring on my US Games regular deck and the Large Swiss is quite striking. The colors are much more deep and rich on the Swiss edition. Until I clear up my confusion about what's available, or find another one, I just can't trim it.

Trimming the Lo S? For some reason, I like the borders on that deck, and I don't usually like borders.

Mosaica

mosaica

Scion said:
For what it's worth, I find EDs much more helpful with the Thoth & Liber T. I don't use reversals with any Crowley-based deck.

Scion,

Does Crowley explain how to use them? I don't see a detailed explanation in the BoT, or in any of the books that I have about the deck. Most don't even mention it, except for in "ill-dignified" card meanings. Where did EDs come from?

Mosaica

PeterS

mosaica said:
There's a US Games edition that says it's "large," but it also says the cards measure 3"x5". Is there really a US Games large edition? Who published yours? Mosaica

I have two versions of the Thoth by US Games. The larger trimmed measures about 4.5" by 3". It is now just a bit bigger than my regular sized LS decks. It is just a hair shorter but about half an inch wider. That edition comes in the green box.

They have a smaller sized which comes with the extra Magus cards that when trimmed is about the size of a mini deck with is great too. It comes in the purple box.

Peter

franniee

Both my large one and the small one are AG Mueller.

I got the large one in East West books in NY and I can't remember where I got the smaller one....probably amazon... I had no idea they were OOP or hard to get to. :cool2:

Star-Willow

PeterS said:
Curious observation.

Peter

I did notice that and I wondered if it was just an aesthetic thing for the layout of his book or if his deck is trimmed? I've been struggling with the idea of trimming my deck.....the cards are huge and can be a pain to *shuffle* but I have a method for large cards that I like to do...... I think my biggie is how far down do I trim? right to the image or just the white border that surrounds the border of the cards?

How far down did you trim Peter?

PeterS

Star-Willow said:
How far down did you trim Peter?

I trimmed away the border, the keywords and the numbers. It was straight down to the image. Now at first I was confused about which card was which because I was still new with the deck. I had to count cups, and wands to figure out what card I was looking at each time I used them.

I had a realy issue with the courts and only now that I have been using the Liber T that has essentially the same courts have I got them down.

I am only now just getting the keywords down as well. That is one of my goals for the IDS.

Peter