The Story behind the K & C "Hexerey" Thoth Deck.

Nydia

Celice said:
Hmm mine smell like cigarette smoke, anyone else?
Mine doesn't smell like cigarette smoke, but it does have a musty/old smell like old books that have been kept in a garage or used bookstore for a while. I noticed it when I opened it and I thought it could use some airing out or incense. I blamed the smell on the decks being in storage for a long time. I just now laid all the cards out one by one on my bed and I have the window open. Since I have a few hours alone today, I'll leave them there for that time. The bag I put them in has the smell now, too, so it is turned inside out on the bed, also. I doubt the smell will go away totally, but it isn't too bad to me.

cardlady22

Mine does have the slight cigarette smell, but I didn't notice it. It did change the odor of the bag I had it in overnight, so I've set the deck in a circular cheesecloth for now - right next to some incense cones that were in the package with my Minute Tarot.

Mojo Twin 2

I bought two - one for me and one as a surprise for my brother in Washington.

This is why I love tarot and Aeclectic. What a joy to get such an incredible piece of history. The energy of these cards is sparkling. I did a few readings last night and got a wonderful response. I imagine being in Germany and going to the little shop.....

Anyway, kudos to Photokat for her generosity. I love my deck so much. It's small and punchy. There is great detail in the images given the deck's size. The colors are so vibrant and electric. The stock is perfect and not glossy. The corners are imperfect which i actually rather like. It is a one of a kind deck and little things like that give a deck character (at least in my opinion!).

So, HURRAY! This is my find of the year.

The crowned one

cardlady22 said:
I can't believe that I didn't smell it. :bugeyed: Usually I'm hyper allergic. Could I be growing out of some it finally?!
:p

Could just be the power of suggestion, This happens all the time. With your first statement of "hyper allergenic", you would have reacted if it was there. :)

What a cool find and story.

photokat

fyreflye said:
What intrigues me most is the fact that while the OTO could essentially shut down sale of the Thoth by the big distributors for several years with a copyright lawsuit, two German witches could manufacture and sell this deck without anybody even noticing :D

The OTO doesn't seem to go to bavarian renaissance faires ... which would explain it, I think ; )

la-luna

photokat said:
The OTO doesn't seem to go to bavarian renaissance faires ... which would explain it, I think ; )

perhaps the idea of man in lederhosen was enough to scare them away :D
(more luck for us)

Xarokys

I got mine too! I just love the vibrant colors and small size. If I ever get really into Thoth this will be my carry-around deck. No unusual odors, not even any chemical inky smells that decks so often have. Thanks, photokat, for making these available to us!

photokat

The rest of the batch arrived today (Friday).
I sniffed the cellophane (A LOT!) but I can only detect a fading hint of incense.

Hmmm....

photokat

la-luna said:
perhaps the idea of man in lederhosen was enough to scare them away :D
(more luck for us)

Maybe the Bavarian Folk music scared them away ..... that stuff is scary.
Seriously!

Celice

I've kept the deck in a lavender infused bag for the last two days and the original smell is almost completely gone, so whatever it was I smelled before must not have completely permeated the cards. Maybe it was just an unfamiliar incense or something, but it was strong enough when I first smelled it (before the lavender treatment) that I was sure it was cigarettes.

Photokat was very awesome and offered to replace my deck but I wanted to see if I could get rid of it first. I'm glad it seems fine now. Thank you Photokat!

If anyone is a Thoth fan they should really buy a copy while Photokat has some left!