Intuitive Tarot-The Emperor IV

minrice

When I first laid eyes on this card I did a double take because I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me or I wasn't interpreting the image correctly. Turns out I was, and it really is a winged penis with a penis tail and a penis.

I'm not a prude by any means and nudity doesn't bother me, I think it was just a bit of a surprise because I haven't seen the Emperor portrayed in this manner.

Yet I think this interpretation captures the essence of the Emperor very well. It's that raw, masculine energy at its height of power and potency, and completely unrestrained that manifests itself for good...or evil depending on the force (or the man) behind it.

This is illustrated in the series of tiny pictures that surround the Emperor. The scan doesn't do this card justice, you really need to see it in person to see the pictures! Within these tiny images we see what the Emperor's power creates: exploration, expansion, invention, music and for evil and what it destroys: the H-Bomb, and in the upper right hand corner of the card literally (to me to seems) an image evoking Tiananmen Square, a tiny figure standing right in the line of a massive tank.

The presence of all the red in this card to me means energy and vitality, and again there is the presence of the sun in this card. The white hot energy that can build and also destroy. This Emperor is focused and supreme.
I think "force" is a keyword for me that instantly comes to mind with this card, force that creates and also destroys.

Attachments

• IT-ER.jpg
    IT-ER.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 106

desertrat

minrice said:
When I first laid eyes on this card I did a double take because I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me or I wasn't interpreting the image correctly. Turns out I was, and it really is a winged penis with a penis tail and a penis.
Well, when I first looked at the card, I thought the penis creature was a babylonian sphinx. Then I stared and stared and said 'holy hard-on batman!' and giggled like a preteen girl. It certainly was very unexpected. At this time I feel rather ambivalent about the image. It seems to me that there is more to man than raging testosterone levels, just like there is more to woman than having babies. So to have this penis creature as the focal point of the card makes me somewhat uncomfortable. However, I realize it is only a symbol meant to convey drive, aggression, and power.

minrice said:
This is illustrated in the series of tiny pictures that surround the Emperor. The scan doesn't do this card justice, you really need to see it in person to see the pictures! Within these tiny images we see what the Emperor's power creates: exploration, expansion, invention, music and for evil and what it destroys: the H-Bomb, and in the upper right hand corner of the card literally (to me to seems) an image evoking Tiananmen Square, a tiny figure standing right in the line of a massive tank.
I was taken with the inclusion of these tiny illustrations on the card. At first glance I saw only a patterned border. Then looking closer i could see the wide range of mankind's achievements and follies. I think it a clever detail. And it really gives the reader a sense of what the Emperor archetype represents.

I can't tell what the image under the mushroom cloud is...do you know?

The red colors of the Emperor that originate and emanate from the sun symbolize, to me, the tradition of divine rule. The claim of kings and emperors that their power has been appointed to them from on high, direct from God. I like the effect (and I like red in general). The diamond of his crown symbolizes clarity of thought and inspiration.

This Emperor doesn't seem to be the "father figure" counterpart to the Empress's motherly portrayal. I'm not sure if i am disappointed by the mis-match, or not. I do like the card, despite my reservations stated above.

minrice

desertrat said:
It seems to me that there is more to man than raging testosterone levels, just like there is more to woman than having babies. So to have this penis creature as the focal point of the card makes me somewhat uncomfortable. However, I realize it is only a symbol meant to convey drive, aggression, and power.

Exactly, I mean I get the interpretation of this card and I think it is bold and powerful and I think I have a strong reaction to this card in a way that I would have a strong reaction to the Emperor's energy. Yet I too am somewhat uncomfortable with this card and wouldn't count it as one of my favorites!

I love the little pictures too, this is the only card where the artist has done pictures within the borders.

desertrat said:
I can't tell what the image under the mushroom cloud is...do you know?

I don't know, a space shuttle maybe? A castle? Opposite this image is the image of a lightbulb which is where I thought invention and ideas, ah-ha! moments in general. What do you make of the bottom left image? I thought maybe medicine or scientists?

desertrat said:
This Emperor doesn't seem to be the "father figure" counterpart to the Empress's motherly portrayal. I'm not sure if i am disappointed by the mis-match, or not. I do like the card, despite my reservations stated above.

No, not initially fatherly however I think some of the little images in the border indicate some fatherly roles, like the occupation that supports the family. Although this is in a traditional, western sense!

desertrat

minrice said:
What do you make of the bottom left image? I thought maybe medicine or scientists?
I thought I could see a person laying on a table, so I was thinking medicine. Truly one of mankind's greatest achievements.