Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread ~ Part 3

rwcarter

sapienza,

Welcome back!!!!! I've added you to the master list with Dame Fortune's Wheel.

thorhammer,

I'm holding a spot for you. It's on the master list, but it's in invisible ink.... })

Rodney

thorhammer

rwcarter said:
thorhammer,

I'm holding a spot for you. It's on the master list, but it's in invisible ink.... })

Rodney
Can you tell me which deck's name appears next to mine? That really would save me a lot of grief . . .

I've got the Norse coming, too . . .

\m/ Kat

sapienza

Personally, I don't think the Norse would stand up to an IDS. Myths only linked to the majors. Great deck for the collection though :)

sapienza

Maybe you could just put all the names in a hat and pull one out. Much easier than making a consicous choice :D

thorhammer

sapienza said:
Personally, I don't think the Norse would stand up to an IDS. Myths only linked to the majors. Great deck for the collection though :)
Ooh, good point. I didn't know that (not that it diminishes my excitement for the deck). I hope to read with it though, I really do.

I don't think I could put the names in a hat . . . I'd be second-guessing my choice every day :laugh:

\m/ Kat

sapienza

No, I couldn't do that either. I don't envy your choice. It's difficult having so many substantial decks.....they all need an IDS. Oh well, I guess you have to start somewhere and I guess any of them would be better than none at all. :)

sapienza

rwcarter said:
sapienza,

Welcome back!!!!! I've added you to the master list with Dame Fortune's Wheel.

Thanks Rodney :)

nicky

thorhammer said:
I don't think I could put the names in a hat . . . I'd be second-guessing my choice every day :laugh:

\m/ Kat

Maybe you can look over your list and think about what one characteristic of each deck appeals most (astrology, history, alchemy etc etc ) ...then find which of those characteristics you want to spend time with...

you have such a nice list of choices it will be a win win regardless :)

rwcarter

thorhammer said:
Can you tell me which deck's name appears next to mine? That really would save me a lot of grief . . .
It's just your name that's in invisible ink. I'm waiting for you to tell me the deck.... ;)

Not that I'm advocating my all-day selection process, but I never would've consciously chosen the Ancient Egyptian for the first IDS. (I just KNEW it was going to be one of the versions of the Bohemian Gothic.) And I ended up bonding with a deck that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Maybe do a (greatly abridged) version of my selection process - either pull out your least favorite tarot card from each deck (let's say the 6 Cups for the sake of argument) or pull out the card you like least in each deck (Lovers in one, Sun in another, etc.) and compare them to see which one calls to you more. You've got 18-20 decks listed, so you could immediately cull down to 5 and then do my question and answer process with those decks to see which one you end up using.

Rodney

jackdaw*

Rodney, I like your process of elimination!

I'm planning to begin an IDS with the Minchiate in the New Year. Because those extra Majors have fascinated me since I first discovered them, but I don't know how to read with them yet. I'm going to aim for 4 months, and see where I go from there.

But I won't be starting that until January 1. Because (a) it seems like a good time to begin something like that, and (b) I feel I still have something to learn from the TdM, and (c) I can't commit to any new course of study until the end of November :)

Kat, I just can't see you being content IDS'ing with a historical deck. I'm not sure why. And I can't see the Liber T giving you enough different from your beloved Thoth to really sink your teeth into. From your list I'd suggest either the Ironwing or the Alchemical. Or if you want to really stretch it and try historical decks, then join me in the Minchiate :D