Pictorial Key to the Tarot--"misprints"

Abrac

Ahhh, ruin, that makes sense. Thanks Rodney! :)

rwcarter

KariRoad said:
Hello Rodney,
The University Press LWB has a truly amazing "typo" in that it also appears in the early (Waddingtons era) Rider Blue Box LWBs. Since the University Press LWB employs English spellings (labour, catalogue, and such) my feeling is, somehow, University Press "borrowed" the text for their RARE little-white-book. Do you have copies to compare? It's a cute little duplicated mistake, in the front part (hint, hint).
:) KariRoad
Neither my University Press nor my Carol Publishing (who bought out University Press) decks came with LWBs.

As for the typo, are you referring to an extra "e" somewhere there shouldn't be one? ;)

Rodney

KariRoad

rwcarter said:
Neither my University Press nor my Carol Publishing (who bought out University Press) decks came with LWBs.

As for the typo, are you referring to an extra "e" somewhere there shouldn't be one? ;)

Rodney
In the earliest LWBs for the "Rider" Tarot deck, pre-usgamesystemsinc., on Page 7 one finds:

"...or for whom the consultation is mase."

The Rider-Waddingtons joint project, reintroducing the cards in 1971, featured their own LWB (no Introduction or extensive editing by Mr Kaplan) ~and University Press copied it verbatim, including the typo "mase" (ie; made).

My University Press LWB has the 11040 zip code in the back with the address, which, along with the English spellings copied by them (and eliminated by Kaplan) tells me University Press was guilty of brief plagiarism.

Anyway, it's another fun "typo" and somewhat in the spirit of Cerulean's intent with this very interesting thread. Thanks :) to All!

Eeviee

USG March 3rd, 2012 Edition:

RE: 20. The Last Judgement - p. 28 (Lines 20 - 23)

On the surface, at least, it is an can be only the resurrection of that triad - father, mother, child - whom we have met with already in the eighth card.

-I would assume this is a typo and should be referring to the sixth card/Lovers...

Abrac

Waite 1910: re XV The Devil

"There is a ring in front of the altar, from which two chains are carried to the necks of two figures, male and female. These are analogous with those of the fifth card, as if Adam and Eve after the Fall. Hereof is the chain and fatality of the material life."

The fifth card? Hereof is a doozy of a "misprint" from the pen of Grand Orient.

Welcome to Aeclectic, KariRoad!

There are numerous examples of Waite's descriptions not syncing up with Colman Smith's art. But that is an out and out typo that also appears in my University Press PKT. Unless he was cryptically referring to the two acolytes in the Hierophant.... :bugeyed: at the thought....

Rodney

Rodney, I was wondering if you have an earlier version of the PKT now you wouldn't mind checking to see if this is indeed a typo or not? Appreciate it. :)

rwcarter

Rodney, I was wondering if you have an earlier version of the PKT now you wouldn't mind checking to see if this is indeed a typo or not? Appreciate it. :)

It says the same thing in my Key to the Tarot that accompanies my Pam B.

Abrac

Ahh, okay. This must have been a misprint from the get-go and should be "sixth." There's no mention of Adam & Eve in the fifth card but there is in the sixth.

rwcarter

Ahh, okay. This must have been a misprint from the get-go and should be "sixth." There's no mention of Adam & Eve in the fifth card but there is in the sixth.
Unless Waite or Pixie were hinting at a Yentl-like subterfuge (of course long before Barbara Streisand was even born, much less making the movie ;) ) where one of the figures before the Hierophant is a woman masquerading as a man. :bugeyed: at the thought.

Of course I doubt that's what's going on, but it is an interesting thought. It's much more likely that it's a typo and Waite meant to say 6th card instead of 5th.

Abrac

Yeah, an interesting idea, but considering all the other misprints in this particular book, probably not. :laugh:

Abrac

I've created a couple of illustrated PKT documents and fixed all the typos and misprints I'm aware of if anyone wants them. One's a Word document and the other's a PDF. I can't guarantee they're perfect but I'm planning to make corrections as I find them and update the files. If you find mistakes and wanna let me know that'd be great.

I uploaded them to Dropbox. Enjoy. :)

Update:

The original docs in this post are no longer available. Here's my latest one with many improvements. Direct download.

The Pictorial Key to the Tarot.pdf (8 mb)