Mary Packard - Tarot de Marseille

Emily

Hanged man is XII not IIX as it should be *opens can of worms and hides* :joke:

Wonder why they changed it. I wasn't going to do this but it now makes me want to compare Madenie decks to see if there are other differences.

FLizarraga

Wonder why they changed it. I wasn't going to do this but it now makes me want to compare Madenie decks to see if there are other differences.

It's not a facsimile edition, so one would assume they corrected it. But they kept IIII instead of IV, VIIII instead of IX and so forth, so I wonder if someone in the art department changed it without thinking and then it slipped out unnoticed?

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Richard

It is IIX in the Reynaud-Houdouin facsimile. In a strictly additive Roman numeral notation this would be 12, but in the more recent subtractive notation (where IV is 4, etc.), I suppose technically it would be 8.

FLizarraga

It is IIX in the Reynaud-Houdouin facsimile. In a strictly additive Roman numeral notation this would be 12, but in the more recent subtractive notation (where IV is 4, etc.), I suppose technically it would be 8.

Actually, both the additive and subtractive methods were in use simultaneously since the Romans. The adoption of the subtractive method as standard is modern, but not its usage. In the subtractive method, IIX simply does not exist, so both IIX and XII are always 12.

earthair

Just compared Yves's edition, (which I love), with Packard, card by card. Colouring, faces and so many details are completely different. Yves's version looks bright, modern and the people are expressive and witty, Packard looks older and less approachable. Her Hermit looks very worried, not curious. But I'd use her deck for readings because I don't mind querents getting their grubby paws on it.

ETA the bird in the Star has put on a lot of weight...

earthair

My run of bad luck continues...

It's happened again. My run of faulty decks continues.
:(
I sat down tonight and thought I'd read the book which comes in the set-
but all the pages are bound in the wrong order, and some are missing :bugeyed:

Are everybody's like this too or is this just mine?
(Ordered for Book Depository UK)

Le Fanu

All? I have just had a flick through mine and it seems ok. That's too bad...

I too got mine from the Book Depository.

ETA; just having a read of some of the meanings - I wonder where the divinatory meanings were taken from for this book? Do they have any historical basis - or are they Packard's own?