Llewellyn's Classic Tarot

rwcarter

I like it - except for the backs. And I'm betting the book by Barbara will be worth the money on its own.
Please report back if the book is worth the price of admission. If it is, I'll get the set. If it isn't, I'll probably pass, mostly because of those backs.

gregory

Please report back if the book is worth the price of admission. If it is, I'll get the set. If it isn't, I'll probably pass, mostly because of those backs.
OK. But have you EVER met one by Barbara that wasn't worth it ? You can always pass the deck on !

Le Fanu

What a heavenly ode to kitschness - my god those backs. I think they were probably done quite earnestly but something happened between the drawing board and....

Of course people use and buy the decks that appeal to them etc etc - but there really is no shortage of hand-holding beginner decks with more *appealing* / contemporary / [insert necessary adjective] drawings than the RWS.

I think we get that not everyone likes the RWS but - really - tarot has moved on - and maybe I speak for myself but the world isn't really looking for slavish RWSness anymore. See the success of decks like The Wild Unknown. I think people want more, even beginners.

There is something very backward-looking about this whole concept. Maybe I 'm being unnecessarily negative - but I really think there's a debate there. Where is tarot in 2014? certainly not there *points to aforementioned deck*

Quester

I actually like this deck backs and all.

Celtictarot

Nah, not a deck that resonates with me, from the dodgy tablecloth back to the art. Much rather stick with my morgan - greer thanks.

magicjack

I collect old tablecloths. I like the backs. That is one of the reasons why I am considering getting this deck.

rwcarter

Well, for one thing, it would be nice to see a different deck used to illustrate Llewellyn's books besides the Universal.
Yeah, I've never been fond of the Universal. It's not bad, but it falls short of what it's trying to be - a viable alternative to the RWS. And while there's obviously some sort of agreement between Llewellyn and Lo Scarabeo, I'm sure Llewellyn would rather use its own images in its books than another company's images, no matter how close the relationship with that company.

lol they're not 'that' bad, surely? :/
When I had "more money than sense" as I'm sure my mother would've so lovingly told me had she still been alive when my collecting was in full swing, I would've bought the deck despite the backs. I have a lot less disposable income now so am more discerning with what I buy. And those backs are enough to make me not spend my limited tarot budget on that deck. ;)

OK. But have you EVER met one by Barbara that wasn't worth it ? You can always pass the deck on !
It's been quite some time since I've read one of her books from cover to cover. I've thumbed through other books here and there though. So I personally don't have enough sense of her as a writer to buy something on faith that it'll be good.

From the cards shown here at Aeclectic, I like the addition of the rain in the 8 Swords. It gives the card an added air of "just when you thought it can't get any worse, it does!" I like the figure in the 7 Swords climbing down the mountain as that makes the theft even more extraordinary because he's risking life and limb in a fall, especially since he's only using one hand with that rope. I like the smiling Death stepping over the fallen King.

I think the Magician's table is way too small. I think the proportion of some of the elements in the Priestess is off. Especially with the 6 pointed star in the lantern, the Hermit immediately makes me think of Moses. There's something about the KnC's expression that I don't like, but I can't put my finger on it. None of those things is as bad as the card backs though.

Rodney

closetLibrarian

The book might be more interesting than the deck. I just want to cut those blue titles off :)

emmsma

I kind of like those table cloth backs and comic book heroes. (what I thought of on seeing those images)

I won't rush out and get it, but I'll look for it in trade in months to come - without the book. I never get around to looking at them anyway.