PCS Centennial, deck only version

swedishfish612

Hmm...so hard to decide! I'm curious to try the deck only version to see if I like the color better but again, the set is only $3 more. We Tarot folk are so picky. :)

daenys

I see it now that you mention it. Going through some of the cards, I do see some subtle misalignment. I think stuff like that happens with both decks - maybe lots of other decks too once you examine them closely.

That wouldn't surprise me. My dad works in envelope printing & cutting and most industrial machines including his are calibrated by hand. They are enormous, and even one missing screw or broken roller can cause issues with the final product. It takes hours to set up an order big or small. For small, finicky orders involving full colour... most employees have their own threshold for what's "good enough" and hope nobody notices. It would cost too much productivity otherwise.

I imagine in card printing you'll find a similar story. That being said, your deck could have been a lot worse!

(sorry for the digression...)

agviz

That wouldn't surprise me. My dad works in envelope printing & cutting and most industrial machines including his are calibrated by hand. They are enormous, and even one missing screw or broken roller can cause issues with the final product...

I have a feeling I would really enjoy touring a place like the one your dad works in. That stuff sounds fascinating and I've always enjoyed learning how things come together.

agviz

Hmm...so hard to decide! I'm curious to try the deck only version to see if I like the color better but again, the set is only $3 more. We Tarot folk are so picky. :)

In my opinion you should go with the set. The little bit of difference in the colors could only matter if you are comparing the decks side by side (so maybe I shouldn't have even brought it up). And again, the book that comes with the set is quite special. It gave me an appreciation for PCS and her work.

As an aside, I bought the deck-only version to have a back up, but also because I was curious to what differences there might be. After I saw those differences, I put it in the drawer and stuck with the set version. Not that it would have mattered much one way or the other.

swedishfish612

In my opinion you should go with the set. The little bit of difference in the colors could only matter if you are comparing the decks side by side (so maybe I shouldn't have even brought it up). And again, the book that comes with the set is quite special. It gave me an appreciation for PCS and her work.

As an aside, I bought the deck-only version to have a back up, but also because I was curious to what differences there might be. After I saw those differences, I put it in the drawer and stuck with the set version. Not that it would have mattered much one way or the other.

I love the book about PCS, too! I actually have the set; I'm wanting another copy of the deck! But I wouldn't mind having seconds of some of the goodies that came with the set, the more that I think about it...

daenys

I have a feeling I would really enjoy touring a place like the one your dad works in. That stuff sounds fascinating and I've always enjoyed learning how things come together.

Haha, according to him it's a noisy, overheated factory filled with machines 100m long. Or maybe it only feels that big? Either way, he has to do lots of running.

I forgot to ask -- is the deck on the right the one in the box or the tin?

Yelell

I love the book about PCS, too! I actually have the set; I'm wanting another copy of the deck! But I wouldn't mind having seconds of some of the goodies that came with the set, the more that I think about it...

I say get the set. It may be better for trading/selling later if you decide to.

agviz

Haha, according to him it's a noisy, overheated factory filled with machines 100m long. Or maybe it only feels that big? Either way, he has to do lots of running.

I forgot to ask -- is the deck on the right the one in the box or the tin?

It's the one in the box. The tin is smaller (pocket size). The tin is great too!

Ambrosia

I have the deck version (not the set) so can't compare. My backs are definitely the same as the backs of the card on the right.

But the deck version is lovely. Comes with four extra cards with more of PCS art, and these have the same backs as the rest of the deck so you could even give them a meaning and shuffle them into your deck for readings...

The colours in the deck only version seem pretty much the same as all images I've seen online and in review videos.
Lovely Cardstock - very similar to the Paulina Tarot if you've seen that. Just a fraction shorter in length.

I'm waiting on the pocket deck in the tin and am curious how the colours for that match up with the deck/set versions. Only because I have a dramatic difference in my Universal Waite standard size colours (Italian printing), and the pocket size. The pocket size is much more saturated colour and detail.

agviz

I've framed the four extra cards from the deck-only version and put them on display in my tarot cabinet.

Attachments

• Framed-Cards.jpg
    Framed-Cards.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 163