The Old Man in the Ten of Pentacles

Rose

I’m glad Vincent posted what he did. I think it’s an important point in understanding this card. For the sake of clarification I’m going to try an give an extremely simplified version of how Qabalah pertains to this card.
Qabalah is essentially a model of creation-- a step-by-step process illuminating the Divine plan as it unfolds itself in our world. Cabalists believe that God/Divine Power created the material world through a series of ten emanations (sephiroth), each one flowing from the next. These sephiroth are usually depicted as spheres connected by twenty-two pathways (each one corresponding to a major arcana card) in a diagram called the Tree of Life. The energy of creation moves from Kether (pure divine energy), sephirah one, down the Tree to Malkuth (our material world), sephirah ten. Part of the idea behind the tarot is that while creation flows down the tree, we can travel back up the tree and reunite with the divine.
Qabalistic theory also depicts the universe as being separated into four different worlds—with each world coming into being from the world before it (in some models this is pictured as an extended tree). The highest of the four Qabalistic worlds is Atziluth which corresponds to fire and the suit of wands. The second highest of the four Qabalistic worlds is Briah which corresponds to water and the suit of cups. The second to the lowest Qabalistic world is Yetzirah, which corresponds to air and the suit of Swords. The lowest (and the last one formed) of the four Qabalistic worlds is Assiah, which corresponds to the element of earth and the suit of pentacles. Each of the four worlds contains the 10 sephiroth (a total of 40 sephiroth), each with its own unique quality determined by the element of the world it’s in. These 40 sephiroth correspond to the 40 numbered cards of the Minor Arcana.
So when you say that the ten of pentacles represents Malkuth in Assiah, you are essentially saying that in the journey on the physical plane you have reached the end of the line. You’re at the lowest sphere (number ten) of the lowest Qabalistic world (Assiah)—you’ve reached the most solid point of physical manifestation. There is no place on the tree to go—except back to the beginning. To reincarnate anew as the fool.
An interesting point is that on the RWS card (not on the recolored versions), the old man’s beard is yellow. I can easily imagine him as the RWS golden haired fool in old age.
This is definitely a card of material plenty, perhaps with a warning that we should not forget the importance of spiritual riches as well as material ones. For me it is also a card dealing with the legacies we leave behind—material as well as spiritual.

Rose

tmgrl2

Thank you, Vincent and Rose...there it is ...right in front of my nose....The Tree of Life in the RW Ten Pentacles!

The pentacle hovering over the old man's back, (I am just beginning to explore the Sephiroth...) would correspond, position-wise to Hod (Splendor or Glory)..the number 8...the sphere of Mercury and therefore, intellect....If Netzach, Force is the Seventh Sephirah and Hod brings forth the forms within Netzach, the rational intelligence is showing itself to human consciousness...nature animating living beings.

This is such a wonderfully , clear image of the Sephiroth in this card.

Vincent ...don't know about the checkerboard or designs on the left column.

Now that I see the Tree of Life, I also see that the people under the arch seem to not notice the Tree...complaisance in one's earthly security?

terri

Rose

I had some notes on the symbols on this card at home--so straight from my notes:

Checkerboard—This pattern of geometrical shapes is a representation of the material world, woven from light and darkness. It can symbolize the conflict situation between opposing forces within both the physical world and the human individual. The checkerboard symbolizes the arena in which the conflicts and battles take place (Like a chess game).

Archway—Archways are related to the twofold symbolism of the square (the symbol of physical reality) and the circle (a symbol of heaven and eternity). It represents a triumph over the trivialities of life. As a portal it may represent the concept of being born again, a new beginning with fresh insights.

The buildings and wall beyond the archway may represent the worldly concerns which the old man has left behind. He has passed through the archway to a higher spiritual state.

Scales on shield—may relate to the Justice card and represent Karma and/or the measure of the old man’s actions in life. We must accept the ‘justice’ of our lives, what we are we have made ourselves.

Towers on the shields may relate back to the Major Arcana cards—There are two towers in the Death Card and the Moon Card and a single tower on the Tower Card. The towers in the Death and Moon card can be read as gateways from one place to another, but, more importantly, from one state of mind or attitude to another. The single tower on the Tower Card represents our ego and the structures we build. Perhaps the towers on the shields represent the old man’s spiritual journey and the wisdom he has acquired.

The grapes—on his coat symbolize harvest and abundance. (Note: It’s interesting that the female on the Devil Card has a tail of grapes signifying enslavement to materialism and/or misuse of pleasure). Maybe the grapes here signify yet another lesson that he has learned.

The magic symbols—on his coat (and his age) perhaps identify him with the Wise Old Man archetype. In stories the Wise Old Man is a mentor who gives good advice and often helps the young hero with his spiritual growth.

His yellow beard, (found in the original RWS deck), may identify him with the Fool at the end of his journey.

Perhaps the wand, held by the young man, is part of the legacy the old man has passed on.

At its simplest level the pentacles in the shape of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life may signify the importance of not forgetting spiritual growth in the midst of material abundance.

Rose