The Lion, The Pagan And The Eighth Card.

Bernice

KariRoad: Strength" (fortitude) no, FORCE yes :)
It has been assumed that this card is Strength, there is no absolute certainty about it, although it does 'fit' the later decks. But the image is unlike the later image of Strength.

Newtons' Law didn't exist until the 17th century.(1687). I don't think they can be applied to the Cary Yale cards.

Bee

kwaw

Rosanne said:
So I guess you might say this is the first feminist deck. :)

~Rosanne

Well, it is the one with the female knights and servants too, isn't it?

kwaw

FortitudeNicolasBologna.jpg

From an Allegory of Virtues and Vices c.1355 by Nicolas de Bologna in a manuscript in the Ambrosian Library, Milan.

AllegoryVirtueViceNicolasBologna.jpg

Note too the order : Justice, Fortitude, Temperance.

Teheuti

Rosanne said:
I have been puzzling over the Cary Yale so called 'Strength' card.
It seems to me that this card is the earliest depiction of a female sitting on a lion holding it's mouth open or shut.
I can't find it now but I have a snapshot of Strength as a woman with a lion from the late 11th century. It's a carving on the right side of the entry to St. Mark's Basilica in Venice. It's one of the friezes along the outer edge, if I remember right. Brian Williams pointed it out to me as one of the oldest images he had found. I'll keep looking for those photos.

Here's a late 1470 - Bellini drawing:
http://www.getty.edu/art/gettyguide/artObjectDetails?artobj=338&handle=li

Teheuti

A friend just returned from Spain and brought me this image - a little late as it is early 16th century. It looks a lot like the Visconti Book of Hours - earlier in this thread. Here's what my friend said:

"The young man holding the lion as on the Strength card. Who knows, maybe this was the inspiration? It is on the heavy gold and silver base of the great monstrance of Cordoba, which was crafted by German goldsmith Heinrich von Arfe between 1510 - 1516. The monstrance is very ornate, stands over 2 metres tall and is carried in procession through the streets on the feast of Corpus Christi. Biblical scenes are features on each of four sides of the base. This could be meant to be Daniel, I don't know. It can be viewed in the treasury of the Cathedral of Cordoba which, as you know, is inside the Great Mosque."

daniel.jpg