Pack with Hexagram

lunakasha

Hi Lillie!!!

I believe that I do have the deck you are looking for......

Date of deck: 1978
Publisher: Weiser
Borders, their colour and decoration (if any): Green borders, cards also green
Box design, it's colour etc.: Green box, Two of Pentacles on the front
Backs, wether they have white borders or not.: Colorful rose cross design, no borders
Extra cards, hexagram, OTO cards, magi etc.: Unicursal Hexagram, red on black background; also a blank (white) card w/rose cross on back
LWB, contents: Includes commentary by Frieda Harris and Stuart Kaplan
ISBN: 0-87728-452-0 Price: $18.00

I purchased mine about three years ago; I believe that this edition is now OOP, but hopefully you will be able to find a used copy in good condition.

:) Luna

Lillie

Hi Lunakasha

Thank you for that info so much.
So those borderless cards did come in the green box!
Until today I thought they only came in the white box.

That is very interesting to me, thank you so much.

Strange2

I have 5 different Crowley/Harris Thoth decks, including the 1969 Llewellyn version, which to my knowledge is the second version ever printed and the first full color version. Listed below are the details for these different deck versions.

Lillie, based on your preferences (no borders on back, green borders on front, red unicursal hexigram card), it appears that the 1977 U.S. Games version or 1978 Weiser version is what you are looking for. The U.S. Games 1977 version was the second Tarot deck I ever bought, and was the one that started me on the path of Tarot and mystical studies.

Hope this helps!

----------------------------
Date of deck: 1969
Publisher: Llewellyn Publications
Printed in: U.S.A
Box design: hard cardboard outer box - white on one side & copy of card back on other side, gold slipcase inner box
Card Size: 140 x 95 mm
Fronts: Light blue plain border with no design, no astrological symbols or Hebrew letters on bottom of Majors
Backs: No borders, design covers entire back of card
Extra cards: OTO card, no unicursal hexagram card
LWB, contents : No LWB (at least not in the deck I have)
ISBN: None

----------------------
Date of deck: 1977
Publisher: U.S. Games Systems, Inc.
Printed in: Belgium
Box design: White
Fronts: Green border with design, astrological symbols and Hebrew letters on bottom of trumps
Backs: No borders, design covers entire back of card
Extra cards: OTO card, Red Unicursal Hexagram card
LWB, contents : 46 pages, by James Wasserman, plus two essays by Lady Frieda Harris with commentary and footnotes by Stuart R. Kaplan
ISBN: 0-913866-15-6 LWB

----------------------
Date of deck: 1996
Publisher: AGM AGMuller
Printed in: Switzerland
Box design: Dark Blue
Fronts: Gray border with design, astrological symbols and Hebrew letters on bottom of trumps
Backs: White borders
Extra cards: OTO card, Rainbow Unicursal Hexagram card
LWB, contents : 41 pages, by "the Hermit", an excerpt from Aleister Crowley's original Book of Thoth
ISBN: 0-88079-469-0 Box, 3-905021-60-9 LWB

----------------------
Date of deck: 1996
Publisher: U.S. Games Systems, Inc.
Printed in: Belgium
Box design: Lavendar
Card Size: 110 x 70 mm
Fronts: Gray border with design, astrological symbols and Hebrew letters on bottom of trumps
Extra cards: 2 extra Magus cards
LWB, contents : 46 pages, by James Wasserman, plus two essays by Lady Frieda Harris with commentary and footnotes by Stuart R. Kaplan
ISBN: 0-88079-308-2 Box & LWB

----------------------
Date of deck: 1997
Publisher: AGM AGMuller
Printed in: Switzerland
Box design: Dark Blue
Card Size: 89 x 58 mm
Extra cards: OTO card, Rainbow Unicursal Hexagram card
LWB, contents : 43 pages, A Descriptive Essay by Aleister Crowley, edited by Frieda Harris with a foreward by Hymenaeus Beta
ISBN: 3-905219-06-9 Box & LWB
----------------------

Diwha

Hi Strange2

In your 1977 deck, doesn't the ISBN end with a -15-6, rather than a -16-6. Because you described my deck exactly to the finest detail except the ISBN. Maybe mine is another published edition?

Diwha

Strange2

Diwha said:
In your 1977 deck, doesn't the ISBN end with a -15-6, rather than a -16-6.

Thanks for catching the typo, Diwha. Indeed, the ISBN of the LWB from the 1977 U.S. Games version is 0-913866-15-6. I have corrected my original post.

Lillie

Thank you Strange2, for all that information.

Can anyone enlighten me as to any real differences between the 77 US Games edition and the 78 Weiser?

Hope you all had a great christmas.

Lillie

Well, my new deck came through the post today.
I thought it would be the same as the first one Strange2 listed, but it's not.

This is it.

Date of publication - unknown, but the seller thought 74, same as the book that came with it.
Printed in USA, distributed by Weiser. Here I am quoting off the box, there is no 'publisher' mentioned, as such.
Backs, no borders, usual rose cross.
Fronts, plain light blue borders, blue writing and numbers, no hebrew letters etc.
Box, white OTO box front, with rose cross back. Inside, 'gold' inner box.
It falls out very easy!
No ISBN, No extra cards, No LWB

They look like they have hardly been used, which is nice.
The book, however is a wreck! The pages are falling out.

However, can't complain, six quid, worth anyones money! Less than 2 0z baccy.

Also some of the cards are so poorly printed, they look washed out. The worst are 6 discs, 3 & 4 swords.
But then some are very bright.
Also the borders are very variable, from a pretty 'baby' blue, to almost white.

Alta

I have that deck, though my copy (also second hand via eBay) is very well used, almost soft with handling. It is the first colour printing, 1969. No scroll on the border, gold inner box and rather out focus printing are the signs.

Lillie

Hi Marion.

There seem to be two early printings.
One by LLewellyn, the other by weiser (which I have got)
Strange2 discribed his LLewellyn pack, the only difference from mine seems to be that his has the OTO card (and presumably it says Llewellyn on it somewhere)

How about yours? OTO card or not? LLewellyn or Weiser?

There is a pack, supposedly Llewellyn on Ebay dot com at the momment, untouched for 20 dollars.
If any one is interested.

They are very strange cards.
I was told the deck and the book went together, but the book is very tatty, broken spine, pages coming out etc. and the cards look untouched. strange.
I'm glad I've got them.

Oh yes, they smell funny, both the book and cards smell like in an old church, like they have been stored in an old house for years.

I am madly smoking at them, I know some people won't like that, but I think it will make them smell nicer, and the smoke is incence to the beast. (it should be opium, but baccy will have to do for now!)

Mad what you find on Ebay!

Emily

Hi Lillie,

Glad you got your deck :) - it sounds like you ended up with something special. Maybe not what you expected though lol but for £6 it was worth it. :)