dreaming of the orphic egg

BrightEye

A few days ago, while dosing on the sofa, I had a kind of vision or dream of the orphic egg (an egg entwined by a serpent). As some of you know, I’ve recently become very involved with the Thoth deck, which shows the egg on a number of cards.

It’s a symbol from the ancient Orphic Mysteries, the egg representing the cosmos, the serpent the creative spirit. The egg is also the soul of the philosopher, the serpent the mysteries. At the time of initiation the philosopher’s soul hatches from the egg, ie is reborn from physical into spiritual existence.

Now my ‘vision’ (for want of a better word): I was in this half-asleep state when you lose control over your thoughts/imagination. I was in a forest and I witnessed a large female dragon chasing a small (her baby?) dragon. The small dragon was more like a snake and very fast too. The mother dragon pursued it with a club, ready to smash it. Or was she trying to smash the egg that was lying on the forest floor? I can’t remember. She ended up smashing neither because the little snake/dragon coiled itself around the egg as if in protection.

I’m sure it means that I’m undergoing some kind of spiritual incubation period. I’ve had other dreams pointing me in that direction, all to do with the Thoth deck. But why the large mother dragon? Any ideas?

Knightward

The Thoth deck in perticular requires a pretty open mindset. It combines several differant systems with Tarot, and as a result may require us to "unlearn" previous thought patterns and develop new ones.

If you are surrounded by people who are unaccepting of this, the mother dragon may symbolism their desire to "crush" these distractions and get you to refocus on something "productive".

While I do not know anything about your situation, this may tie in with your Six of Swords conflict as well. It is something to consider.

-Fenier

BrightEye

Thanks, that certainly is worth considering.

And yes, I've had a bit of a mild bashing because of my newfound interest recently, but not related to the other situation.

NewWorldAstrology

Reptiles, Eggs & Earth

Hi there,

First post on this site - great stuff.
http://www.davidicke.com talks about reptilian symbolism - dragons feature in the story along with the infamous snakes, eggs etc. So i found it funny you were dreaming of this all connected too.

Somewhere else I saw someone was dreaming of princess Di as a reptile - when there are stories of the Royal Family being reptilian connected (bloodline wise).

Barbara Marciniak has some really amazing books - Family of Light, Bringers of the Dawn, etc that talk more on the dimensional energy where reptiles dwell. Fascinating stuff.

ravenest

BrightEye said:
I was in a forest and I witnessed a large female dragon chasing a small (her baby?) dragon. The small dragon was more like a snake and very fast too. The mother dragon pursued it with a club, ready to smash it. Or was she trying to smash the egg that was lying on the forest floor? I can’t remember. She ended up smashing neither because the little snake/dragon coiled itself around the egg as if in protection.

Do you get on ok with your own mother?.
This little story reminds me of a common dynamic; the parent (or parential figure, or part of the self that represents that) although loving and caring for the child feels threatened by or fearfull of the childs development of to an individual with its own true will. This is especially so if the area of development is at odds with the parential belief system.

Crowley wrote a chapter on this in 'Magick Without Tears' (if my memory serves me welll - perhaps - 'Family -Public Enemy Number One'?) Where he advises someone to take a stand against the family trying to manipulate ones path. The gist is, you either respect me or my interests - or loose me.

The dream seems to suggest (to me) that the mother dragon does not like the new egg and whishes to stop its process. The young dragon, in defience, says if you kill the egg, you will kill me too. The love and attachment of the mother will not let it hurt the child, so it has to accept the new direction.