Best Loved Tarot Books!!

magicmadrigal

Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis (good for beginners)

Robin Wood Tarot: The Book by Robin Wood (a beautiful companion to the deck)

Tarot for Yourself - A Workbook for Personal Transformation by Mary Greer (good basic information)

Tarot - New Handbook for the Apprentice by Eileen Connolly
Tarot - The Handbook for the Journeyman by Eileen Connolly
Tarot - The First Handbook for the Master by Eileen Connolly

The Secrets of the Tarot by Barbara Walker

The Complete Book of Tarot Spreads by Evelin Burger and Johannes Fiebig

Jung and the Tarot by Sallie Nichols

I just ordered a copy of 79 degrees and I'm looking forward to reading it!

StormCloud

Two other's that I didn't see mentioned are also good.

Tarot and the Journey of the Hero by Hajo Banzhaf (a good trip through the majors)

Tarot and the Tree of Life : Finding Everyday Wisdom in the Minor Arcana by Isabel Radow Kliegman (one of the few books that concentrate totally on the minors. Lots of good thoughts here)

My other favorites are 78 Degrees and Power Tarot for spread ideas.

wetsheep1

Man! What a spread!! :) You guys have mentioned a lot of books I'd really like to get my hands on!!

My faves are Eileen Connelly's series; I think she's got just a fantastic study program for those of us who are serious about studying the Tarot. Her books have helped me a great deal.

My first book, however, because I am as impatient as the day is long, was "Tarot In Ten Minutes" by R.T. Kaser. It's great for someone who's dabbling or just a complete neophyte --- and if your interest is piqued....well, just looking at the library above gives one plenty to look forward to! I really enjoyed it when I was first starting.

Thanks for sharing, everyone! (I think I'm gonna need another loan......)

;) -- k

Phoenix

Weclome wetsheep!!! This thread is great for beginners, and advanced tarot-holics alike!!! Hope you find it useful!! Have you made it to the New Members section to post an introduction, we would love to meet you!

Moose

I don't think I have ever seen this author mentioned on the forum.

Nancy Shavick offers a wealth of tarot knowledge in four books.
The Tarot and The Tarot Reader are uniquely written guide books. The style and script give a beginner a comfortable learning experience.

Her card combinations and cards with similar meanings sections are concise. These sections of the The Tarot Reader are followed by 10 novice-friendly spreads.

These guide (pocket) books are relatively short, between 140 and 160 pages.

Her 2 other Tarot books are Tarot Universe and The Tarot Guide to Love and Friendship. Ms. Shavick has also written an astrology book, Reach for the Stars: Write Your Own Horoscope.

Some of her tarot interpretations can be quite startling while others have a nice hint of humor.

78 Degrees of Wisdom, Parts1&2 are all time favorites of mine. It's so difficult to top perfection.

Blessings...................Moose

Emily

My favourites would have to be:-
Learning the tarot by Joan Bunning
Tarot for yourself by Mary K Greer
The Celtic Dragon book that is with the deck
The Illustrated encyclopedia of tarot by Jane Lyle
The complete illustrated guide to the tarot by Rachel Pollack
Secrets of tarot by Annie Lionnet
Sally Morningstar also has a good divination book, tarot included in it but I've just forgotten the name of it lol :)

starfish66

I love this particular thread - I have put so many new books onto my wishlist after reading all of the great suggestions.

I was excited to find a copy of Power Tarot online - brand new for about $5 and change. It's on it's way to me - woohoo!!! One more book to check off of my wishlist.

:TQS Starfish

Kyrielle

I like Power Tarot because I'm always looking for something to do besides Celtic Cross. These spreads give me good results. Robin Wood's book is so detailed! Everything in the cards has a meaning.
Tarot For Your Self is out in a new expanded edition. It was out of print for a while. I really like it.
Janina Renee's Tarot: Your Everyday Guide and Tarot for a New Generation are interesting. The latter is designed for teenagers especially, but would be good for any beginner.
Any book that deals with a specific deck is usually a good source of info, whether it comes with the deck as a set or is purchased seperately. I like to take the views of the creators into consideration when forming my own personal meanings for each card in a particular deck. Rachel Pollack's books on the Haindl Tarot are essential if you want to use this deck.

--Kyrielle

VGimlet

My most-used books while I was in deep-study mode with the Universal Rider

1. Understanding the Tarot - A.E. Waite. Although very, very traditional & veiled, sometimes gives a glimpse of where he was going. I would never suggest it alone, but good for reference.

2. Mastering the Tarot - Eden Gray. Almost as historical as Waite (very obviously written in the early 70's) also gives mostly historical meanings. I hate to say this, but quite a bit of the Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot seemed to be lifted from here.

3. Complete Book of Tarot Reversals - Mary K. Greer. I wish I'd had this book years ago.

4. 78 Degrees of Wisdom - Rachel Pollack Another one I wish I'd had earlier.

5. Heart of the Tarot - Thomson, Mueller, Echols I liked this one because it complimented the others and explained symbols that the others sometimes skipped over.

6. Tarot Companion - Tracy Porter - This book had a small symbolism dictionary, and she included ideas about how to decipher multiples of the same card number in readings, for example.

7. Dictionary of Symbols - Cirlot I got this book right as I finished my intense bookwork, but I know I will be referring to it for years to come.

8. Tarot for yourself - Mary K. Greer. I am now starting to work through this book, as the next step down the road.

tigerlily

Choice Centered Tarot by Gail Fairfield is very good.
Living The Tarot by Amber Jayanti
78 DE, of course, although it may cause information overload in absolute beginners.
Spiritual Tarot by Signe Echols.
The Pythagorean Tarot book by Opsopaus is awesome.

Does anyone have "Mastering the Tarot: An Advanced Personal Teaching Guide" by Juliet Sharman-Burke? What is it about?

On my wishlist:

Tarot and the Tree of Life by Isabel Kliegmann
Tarot & Magick by Mary K. Greer and Donald M. Kraig
The Forest of Souls: A Walk through the Tarot yb Rachel Pollack
Mastering the Tarot by Paul Fenton Smith
Totally Tarot by Vikki Anderson (because it connects Tarot with Crystals)
<sigh> the list goes on and on...