Best Loved Tarot Books!!

Emily

Other books I would add to my favourites are:-

Complete book of Tarot Spreads - Evelin Burger and Johannes Fiebig
Tarotmania by Jan Woudhuysen :)

Molly

Hi all: Big book fan here - everybody's covered the basics and mentioned my favorites. Different styles of books appeal to different people obviously, but for what it's worth, the tarot really didn't start sinking in for me until I read Rachel Pollack's 78 degrees.

Someone asked what 78 degrees was about: It is based on the RWS deck and is divided into three parts. It gives meanings for all 78 cards, part one is the majors, part two is the minors, and part three explains three spreads in detail and gives a few example readings. There are no exercises in the book - it reads like a novel. The reason why so many people recommend the book is because Ms. Pollack is an engaging writer and her book holds your attention while teaching you.

Learning the Tarot is a hands on book that has plenty of exercises to develop your ability to think about the cards and their relationship to you and each other.

I already have a whole slew on my wish list. I think a great and complete "tarot course" would have to include: 78 degrees, Learning the Tarot, Tarot for Yourself, Tarot Reversals, Complete Illustrated Guide to the Tarot, Tarot Dictionary and Compendium, Tarot for Self Discovery (Nina Lee Braden).

I was wondering though, has anyone read "Knighthawk's Tarot Readings" ?? I love the idea of reading a ton of example readings and this is the only book I have heard of that focuses exclusively on that.... It is self-published though and apparently very expensive to get ahold of right now.

Strega

My favorites are:

Tarot for Your Self
by Mary K. Greer

Learning the Tarot
by Joan Bunning

Power Tarot
by Trish MacGregor, Phyllis Vega

Tarot: Your Everyday Guide
by Janina Renee

Tarot Celebrations
by Amaral and Cunningham

Emily

Other favourite tarot books I've got to add are:-

The Spiral tarot book by Kay Steventon
Tarot Plain and simple by Anthony Louis :)

Moongold

Great Subject

I hope I'm not repeating myself because I have a vague recollection of responding to something like this before but I got two more books last night which I'd love to tell you about.

The books I've used the most are:

78DW by Rachel Pollack
The Complete Illustrated Guide to the Tarot by Rachel Pollack
The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by Mary Greer

Last night I purchased :

The Complete Book of Tarot Spreads by Evelyn Burger & Johannes Fieberg

This book has the classic spreads as well as some more contemporary spreads and it's handy to have them all in a simple book

Tarot Companion: an essental reference guide by Tracy Martin.

This is a good compendium of terms and many other things which is handy to have close when you're puzzling over something.

There were so many books there. Sigh......

78DW has been the most useful and there are continuing new discoveries for me in it.

However. the book I first read was a great library book (the name of which I can't remember) but it got me going.

Love to you all

Moongold

Daisymoon3

My Favorites

1. Initiation into the Tarot by Naomi Ozaniec

Kind of a workbook.

This is a great guide for studying the tarot in depth. It gives lots of info on connecting tarot with Qabalah, too.

Some of the topics:

Symbols and Images of the Tarot

Archetypes and Meanings

Letters and Numbers (getting into Qabalah)

Doorways and Keys - Ways of using the tarot for meditation

Stages and Paths- This chapter deals with learning the Tree of Life

Mandalas and Divination

The Serpent of Life- the Major Arcana and the 22 paths they symbolize.

* I am working in "Doorways and Keys", right now.

While it gets a little complicated in some sections, I am finding it to be a bit easier than most books on the Qabalah.

2. The Tarot Handbook: Practical Applications of Ancient Visual Symbols by Angeles Arrien

This book uses the Thoth deck and the interpretations are a bit different than the Rider-Waite I favor. But the explanations for the trump cards are great study. It connects the tarot with numerology and life paths. I have found it to be extremely accurate.

ihcoyc

Didn't see that anyone has mentioned some of my favourites yet:

The Magical World of the Tarot and The Treasure House of Images by Gareth Knight.

The first is an excellent introduction to the cards, based on guided visualisation, and the second book is an extensive semi-historical discourse on the symbols of the trumps.

Dictionary of the Tarot, a/k/a Definitive Tarot, by Paul Butler.

This is an older book, and has its share of malarkey in the introduction and historical stuff. It does collect the writings and interpretations of most of the traditional authors.

Meditations on the Tarot by Anonymous (probably Valentin Tomberg).

I'm about a quarter of the way through this one. About a couple paragraphs a day here is about all you should attempt. The Roman Catholic bias is a bit strong at times. Requires a great deal of cultural literacy. A super-heavyweight mind, that's for sure.

evangelion

Wow! First I have to say hello to everyone as I am new to the site. I love it!

Anyway, on to the subject at hand. I've found two very helpful books, one for beginners is: The Tarot Decoder by Kathleen McCormack. It's very simple to use and it gives descriptions for every card as it appears in the Celtic Cross layout.

Another great book is The Book of Thoth by Crowley. Of course I would have to say this would be of most use to someone owning the Thoth deck.

Well, there's my take, hope you find these useful. ;)

Angeline

I just had to say that after reading this I have been and ordered 78 degrees and Tarot for self discovery...
I have JB Learning the tarot and The complete idiots guide ....the latter one i find easier to work through.....just wondering if I should go back now and order Tarot for yourself too....
Have to hide the packages from hubby!!!!!!!!!

Angeline

Jewel

Angeline said:
just wondering if I should go back now and order Tarot for yourself too....
Have to hide the packages from hubby!!!!!!!!!

Angeline

If you like workbooks, I highly recommend it. As for hiding the packages from the hubby ~giggles~ a good friend of mine here at Aeclectic would suggest you get your own PO Box ~chuckles~ that is what she suggested to me and I think I might follow that advice *LOL*