The Worldly Sequence - CHPT. 4

Jewel

THE WORLDLY SEQUENCE - CHPT. 4
THE MAJOR ARCANA AND PERSONAL GROWTH

NOTE: All text in quotation is from 78 Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollock.

In Chpt. 3 we reviewed the opening trumps as archetypes. Chpt. 4 moves on to cover the other 5 trumps in the first row of seven cards or the consciousness level, which focuses on "the outer concerns of life in society." This first line of the major arcane (Magician-Chariot) takes through the process of maturity, with the Magician and High Priestess setting the principles of the movement between opposites. The opposites come together in the Empress "mingling together in nature to produce the reality of the physical universe."

The 3 middle cards (Empress, Emperor, and Hierophant) are a set that "show us the triad of nature, society and the Church. They also signify mother, father, and education." The Empress represents nature while the Emperor and Hierophant are human constructs.

"The last two cards [Lovers and Chariot] of the line represent the problems of the individual, love, sorrow, surrender and will." It is the development of personality and individuality. "Only when we reach full understanding of the outer life of humanity can we hope to reach inwards for deeper reality."

THE EMPRESS:
The Empress represents the more gentle side of the feminine archetype: motherhood, love and gentleness. She also represents sexuality and emotion. "Both motherhood and sex derive from feelings that are non-intellectual and basic to life. Passions rather than ideas …. The Empress is pure emotion." There is no rational development, she gives and takes experience with uncontrolled feeling.

The number 3 is the combination of 1 and 2 (Magician & HP) and signifies the synthesis and harmony. The Magician and HP are combined in an indivisible unity of life and death, darkness and light, activeness and instinct. The number 3 also represents the child produced by their coming together, but the Empress herself also stands for motherhood, the "basic means by which life continues throughout nature. And because the physical bond of the mother and child is so direct, mother love, in its strongest form, is pure feeling, given without intellectual or moral considerations."

THE EMPEROR:
In past times, as well as today in some cultures, the father figure remains a removed and remote figure, and therefore a figure of severity. An authority figure, the judge, the one who doles out punishment, and the one who taught the child the rules of society and then demanded obedience. "To the child the father is many ways indistinguishable from society as a whole, just as mother is nature itself." Thus, the Emperor stands for the laws of society, good and bad, and he also enforces those laws. "He is the abstraction of society replacing the direct experience of nature." In his best aspect he stands for a stable society that allows encourages the pursuit of personal needs and development, including spiritual development. He is just. In his more negative aspect he represents oppression where stability takes precedence over morality. "Even at his best, however, the Emperor remains limited. Over the spontaneity of the Empress he has laid a network of repression. If we loose touch with our passions then life becomes cold and barren."

There are dual aspects of the Emperor, which are depicted in the RW imagery. The ankh he holds is an Egyptian symbol of life. His holding it symbolizes that he has power of life and death under social law. The rams signify Aries, which in turn symbolizes force, aggression and war; yet at the same as first sign of the zodiac stands for new life and spring, "which can emerge from the stability of a just society." His arms and legs form an equilateral triangle representing the element of fire.

THE HIEROPHANT:
"Waite describes this card as symbolizing the 'outer way' of churches and dogma." Ms. Pollock goes on to say that Waite's description of the card is more suited for those who see Tarot "as a secret doctrine of occult practices rather than a more general embodiment of human patterns." The Hierophant indicates an education and a tradition. He indicates our own inner sense of obedience.

"Called to the priesthood by their own awareness, these people can speak to God for us. More important, they can speak to us, interpreting God's law so we may live proper lives, and eventually, after death, receive our reward of returning to God." As with the social institutions of the Emperor the religious ones of the Hierophant can also become corrupted by the authority they are given, prizing obedience over enlightenment. In his best aspect, the Hierophant (as outer doctrine) can give us a place to begin creating our own awareness of God.

LOVERS:
This card shows the most dramatic change that Wait made to the Tarot. The traditional Marseilles deck shows a man struck by Cupid's choosing between 2 women. Waite shows a woman and a man presided by an angel, suggestive of the Garden of Eden showing enlightenment vs. the theme of the Fall. This card shows adolescence and sexuality, which is the emergence of intellectual and moral independence. This is the card where individuality emerges, a personality able to make important choices and with its own ideas and purposes. Choices are dictated by one's own assessment of desires and responsibilities not based on parental orders.

CHARIOT:
The Chariot implies not only a great victory, but total control. "Plato in Phaedrus, refers to the mind as a chariot drawn by a black and white horse, the exact image of the Tarot." "By controlling his horses, the Charioteer controls his instinctive desires." The plethora of symbols contained on this card are described in detail in the book and each has extreme significance. In essence he is the symbol of maturity. His will extends beyond the individual.

"With its images of mind subduing and utilizing the forces of life the Chariot is the perfect symbol for civilization, which creates order out of the chaos of nature by using the natural world as the raw materials for its agriculture and cities. … By its connection with the Hebrew letter 'Iain' the Chariot carries the quality of 'speech'. Speech has always seemed to humans to represent the rational mind and its dominance over nature."

EXERCISES:

1. How does the Empress in your deck reinforce her role as motherhood and mother nature? How do the symbols in your Empress card differ from those of the RWS?

2. What symbols does your Emperor convey that support or disagree with Ms. Pollock's description of the Emperor? Does he convey the more positive or negative attributes of the card in his depiction?

3. What does the Hierophant symbolize to you? What symbols in the card support your meaning of the Hierophant?

4. How is the Lovers' card represented to you in your deck? What choice(s) do you see represented in the Lovers' card in your deck? What relationship(s) do you see?

5. How does the Chariot in your deck show the strength of his will? If different from the RWS deck, how does your Chariot differ in symbolism? What does the Chariot symbolize to you personally?

Kaz

this is a lot of thinking and comparing, so i will post my results in separate posts.
i have done empress, emperor and hierophant, and i need to type out my notes, so tomorrow i expect.....

edited to say i love the templar deck better and better. this studygroup is great :)

kaz

aeonx

Hi guys.
I wish I had the time to participate in this study group, as I own and love this book! However, I must thank you all for your great insight, as I read all of your input. :)

Blessings,

~aeonx~

Kaz

bump :)

i did indeed do some cards, but these notes are lost, so, i need to do them again.
you switched to kosmik tribe jewel? shame, i liked comparing notes with you on the templar.....

kaz

Melvis

Hi, all!

I'm now working with the Rohrig Tarot, which should be very interesting to say the least! I have the book, but I have not looked through it yet. I prefer to give my own first impressions before I read the book's definitions of the cards. Note: On almost every card there are illustrations of torn notebook-style pages that have writing on them in a few different languages. I'll be noting the words I can read when I come upon them in a card, as they may be difficult to see in the scans. Also, I had to turn the scans sideways to make them as large as possible. Sorry!

The Empress
This is the most materialistic Empress I've ever seen! She is dressed in a revealing white gown (?) that is adorned with white feathers; a fur stole is around her neck; behind her you see part of the American Flag and a partial US Dollar bill. A five-point crown seems to rise up out of her red hair. Among Rohrig's handwritten notes on the card are the words: Energy, Development, Evolution, Fertility, Success, (a word I can't read...Lucrative, maybe?), An Eye for Detail.

I think this card emphasizes the more sexual aspects of the Empress rather than motherhood. The feathers, fur, and her fiery-red hair lend an air of wildness to the card. As I look closer at the card, I can see, very faintly, behind the crown, a drawing of a phoenix and the word "Sacrifice". Perhaps this is referring to the motherhood angle. Mothers definitely make personal sacrifices for the betterment of their children...just one reason that people have a natural reverence for motherhood.

The Emperor
A male profile facing to the right; a white fur with black spots is around his neck; dots of starlight seem to stream behind him. My first thought is that, since there are no stars in the direction he is facing, it's as though he is putting the starry chaos behind him as he goes. Whatever direction he is looking in has order instead of chaos. Among the recognizable words on the card are: Potential and Initiative. I think he's facing the future and planning for it...preparing to create order for when the chaos comes next.

As for the two cards together, I get a strong feeling that each one has a certain 'job' to do; it's the Empress' job to be a 'mother' to society...to make things grow and evolve. The Emperor's job is to put all these creations of the Empress in order. When you put them side by side, he doesn't even have to look at her, and she simply looks out at the reader. They trust each other to fulfill their obligations, so there's no need to 'check up' on one another! However, taken to an extreme this could also cause the two to loose sight of what their objectives are.

The Hierophant
What a friendly, grandfather-ly face! Above the face there is a stream of white light coming straight down right into the Hierophant's head. Talk about your direct communication with the powers above! The words on this card speak volumes: Spiritual master, teacher, advisor, initiate, inner leader, spiritual father, highest transformation. When you look closely at his face you see that the shadowed areas are made up of a great many individual lines. These lines give the impression of age and experience, which, when taken with the words, gives me the feeling that this person can be your guide because he has been through it all before, and he has transformed himself into a higher being that can communicate on more than one plane of existence.

Next post...Lovers and Chariot!

Attachments

• rohrig345.jpg
    rohrig345.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 118

Melvis

The Lovers
First off, that line down the middle of the card just below the man's ear is not an error on the scan...it's on the card! In fact, until I saw the scan on its side I didn't realize that it made the illustration of the cuddling couple on it look like a book. The 'book of love' I guess! This seems to be a card about a relationship rather than a choice. What is so unusual about this card is what it doesn't have on it. Almost every other card in this deck has a breast or some other private body part floating in it somewhere, but the Lovers card doesn't! Rather ironic, IMHO. In the space between them we see a starry cosmos, as if by embracing each other fully they have captured the essence of the world. To quote the book, it's like the angel in the RW version of the card, which is "...a vision unobtainable to each person individually, but glimpsed by both of them together."

Hmmm...now that I look closely at the faces, it looks like...the Empress and Emperor! (This guy has a bit of stubble on his face, just like the Emperor.) Now we can see the bond between the two! It's like when they're at work, they are completely professional, but when they're at home they show their love for each other. The words on this card are: Love, Attraction, Approach, Connection, Uniting of Differences.

Interesting side note: When I reverse the card and look at it, it's like the man is sliding off the woman, and she is trying to hold on to him, to keep him with her. Holding on to a finished relationship too long, perhaps?

The Chariot
First thought when I saw this card: OMG! This is waayyyy too modern! A race car? Gimme a break! But at second glance, I can see how it would work rather well for this card. Those cars have four wheels that can be as difficult to handle as any horse! In the helmeted head above the card you can once again see the now-familiar starry-sky. And there is a single bright star/planet inside that helmet that you can see reflecting on the car below it. And the big helmet seems to be looking down on the car and driver...directing it, perhaps? Maybe it's the unconscious aspect of the driver in the car below. On the top of the big helmet I just noticed that you can see a reflection of the checkered flag. Victory! The accompanying words: New beginning, change to good, introspection, medtitation, spiritual road. I don't know what the parallel lines on either side of the big helmet signify, though. Any ideas?

Ooh! Inspiration has hit! (Yes, it did hurt. ;) ) In re-reading Chapter 4, it occured to me that maybe the big helmeted head is looking back into it's own past, to see the spiritual journey it has taken to get where it is now...Victory Lane! It's like a preview of the Unconscious mind that develops in the second 'line' (cards 8-14).

This if fun! I'm glad I switched to this deck from the Legend deck. Thanks again to Pollux for bumping up the 78DW FAQ's thread and getting it going again!

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

Attachments

• rohrig67.jpg
    rohrig67.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 108

Jewel

Kaz said:
bump :)

i did indeed do some cards, but these notes are lost, so, i need to do them again.
you switched to kosmik tribe jewel? shame, i liked comparing notes with you on the templar.....

kaz

Kaz I always did the Templar as an aside with you, and will continue to do so as time allows! I love comparing notes on it with you too! You will still be using the Templar right?

Melvis ... WOW! ... The Rhorig is going to be a VERY interesting study with this book. I particularly identified with your comments on the Lover and the Chariot. I think "victory lane" and that looking back you were "hit with" is exactly what those 2 lines on either side of the helmet are. And the idea that the lover is slipping and she is gripping when reversed is a really neat observation.

I will not be able to get to prepare Chapt. 5 until next week (sorry) ... but I will get right on with it before I do my exercises :). I am so glad this study group is back! ~kiss to Pollux~