Tarot: Your Everyday Guide

Strega

Does anyone here have Tarot: Your Everyday Guide by Janina Renee? Do you like it?

I've been thinking of buying it for quite some time now. But I cannot seem to make up my mind. Would anyone like to do a review? :)

Thanks!

jema

every chapter starts off with three illustrations in black and white of the card. the decks are rider-waite, celtic dragon, legend, shapeshifter, golden dawn, witches tarot, sacred circle and perhaps i forgot one.

she writes about a page and a half on every card and brings up what advice or guidance the cards give. some of the advices are very down to earth. she also give a short account for the advice of a reversed card.

i like renees writing style a lot. while i didn't like the tarot spells all that much (i prefer to make my own spells) i do recommend this one for another outlook on the cards.
but, it is after all just a book with card interpretations. she concludes the book with a ritual to Fortuna and a spread - the celtic cross (what else?)

i do like to take out this book when i feel stuck and need some fresh outlook on a card.

catlin

I am still expecting this book so I cannot give any comments about this one but as I liked her "Tarot spells" very much (both as practical book and as inspiration to make up my own), I thought about getting this book also on my wishlist.

Keslynn

I'm in the middle of reading it right now! I got it and Tarot for a New Generation on Phoenix's recommendation. Tarot: Your Everyday Guide is a really good book so far. I've seen spreads that are specifically for giving advice, but I like how she simplifies it. I'm working on doing three card spreads for advice (as per her suggestion) and am really hoping to integrate it into my regular tarot readings. Her writing style is great too. Short and to the point without dumbing it down. She makes a lot of sense and I turn to her work when I'm stuck on a card. It's a lot more down to earth than many tarot bibles like 78 DW.

I highly recommend that you also get Tarot for a New Generation. I love it. There's a post below on the topic in which I rave about the book. You should check it out if you're interested.

:TQS Kes

emily2otters

if you do a lot of readings for the purpose of eliciting advice, or if you use "advice" as a position in your spreads, this book is essential reading.

there are a lot of cards that don't seem to make much sense in an advice position -- two of swords? five of pentacles? huh? renee takes on the challenge of position-specific interpretation. i love this book! i used it almost daily for months, and now i've kind of gotten the hang of manipulating card meanings to fit the spread. it's been a huge help in my development as a reader.

Maan

Love this book!!!!!

This book is one of the best books i have read in quite a while. Finally a fresh view.
I find myself reading this book really often!
Her writing style is refereshing and the way she explians the cards is exactly what the title makes you suspect...for everyday;) Real practical!!!
The cards are explained as an advise and not as a way of telling the future.

She really makes the tarot a usefull tool for everyday!

Go buy it ;) :)

Love and light
Maan

Strega

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Off to the bookstore now... ;)

Phoenix

I like this book a lot, but I much prefer her other book, Tarot for a New Generation. The only thing about Tarot: Your Everyday Guide is that she uses a sample image from the RWS deck, which is my primary reading deck. It helps to see the meaning that goes with the picture. She doesn't use the RWS deck for the Tarot for a New Generation. The other thing about TFNG is that she devotes equal space to both the Major and Minor Arcana.

Hope this helps!

rajarod

I really like this book...

I think this is a great book for what it is: a book of interpretations as advice. As emily2otters pointed out, the author of this book does an excellent job of suggesting the lesson or advice that each card offers, even for difficult cards that don't seem to translate very well into advice. I've turned to this book many times, and while it's not a profound Qabalistic treatise, that's not what we always need ;)
I recommend this book without reservation.
Best regards,
rod

LaLaBella

I have both Your Everyday Guide and For a New Generation and have gotten more from the latter. Hope this helps.

DC