List of tarot myths

sleepingcat

rachelcat said:
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you go through a deck and turn upright the reversed cards.
[\QUOTE]

I tell that one to people simply because it's annoying to have my Reverals unreversed, and I dont find out until I lay a reading. XD

Emily

You must wrap your cards in black silk, no other colour, and store them in a wooden box (but please make sure that the dye from your wooden box doesn't stain your cards) :)

You must never read for yourself or on a Sunday.

Free Flight

In Order to be able to read you must be a member of your local tarot guild and have paid them significant amounts of money in order to be able to read

Splungeman

LillyCat said:
If you expose the cards to sunlight, all the pictures will fade away and the 'power' will be sucked from the deck making it unusable or as one Tarot book author wrote ' Never EVER, under ANY circumstances expose the cards to sunlight'.

Is that still a myth if you're using the Vampire Tarot? :)

Under no circumstances feed your Tarot deck after midnight...wait...that's for Mogwai.

I guess the only myth I've run into is that the Thoth deck is infused with negative energy and you have to bury it in the earth for three nights before using it or you'l only get negative answers in your readings. Apparently the earth absorbs all the negative energy. No mention of how you are supposed to bury it. What if it rains? Do you bury it in tupperware? If you buried it in tupperware, would the earth around it still be able to absorb the negative energy? Once the earth absorbs the negative energy does it hang around in the earth where you buried it? How do you cleanse the earth of the negative energy? Do you bury the earth in the earth?

Okay...time to stop. :)

Raya

Splungeman said:
I guess the only myth I've run into is that the Thoth deck is infused with negative energy and you have to bury it in the earth for three nights before using it or you'l only get negative answers in your readings. Apparently the earth absorbs all the negative energy. No mention of how you are supposed to bury it. What if it rains? Do you bury it in tupperware? If you buried it in tupperware, would the earth around it still be able to absorb the negative energy? Once the earth absorbs the negative energy does it hang around in the earth where you buried it? How do you cleanse the earth of the negative energy? Do you bury the earth in the earth?

And what if your tupperware absorbs the negative energy??? Does anyone have any good tupperware cleansing methods? Soap and holy water?

le fey

so negative energy is composed of tomato sauce? That's the only thing I know of that tupperware absorbs and won't let go of.

Pollianna

Curry and spaggetti Bog must be a no no too ; )

Scion

I just heard a new one over the weekend: a stolen deck reads more powerfully.

Uhhhh, right. People are such dingdongs sometimes.

I have a feeling that this may be a mutation of the "you must receive you deck as a gift" mishegas. And more importantly I feel like it's a license to thieve created for and by deck-crazed miscreants.

Aulruna

Scion said:
I just heard a new one over the weekend: a stolen deck reads more powerfully.

*panically rund and locks her Tarot cases*

Found one in one of those booklets from the gift section:

A higher being is the one who truly choses the cards for you in a reading...
:bugeyed:

This one also says that you'll never be able to get rid of the former user's energy in pre-owned decks.

Jewel

Lleminawc said:
Yes it's well know that Tarot was invented in ancient Egypt, the name Tarot even comes from Ta-Ro meaning "The Royal Road", and they were introduced to Europe by gypsies.
Actually that is also a myth ... Fact: the exact origin of the Tarot is NOT KNOWN.