Mercury in Scorpio 00 degrees

Barleywine

I will second John Halloran's Astrology for Windows, formerly called AstrolDeluxe Report Writer and before that AstrolDL. I've had his programs since the days of MS DOS. I also have Morinus (it's a little more complicated to set up because you have to download and install a second software called - I believe - the Python library - but it works well, and I also have Riyal. I've mostly been doing horary astology lately, so I've been using Halloran's software with its Regiomontanus house feature and easy-to-read charts.

Minderwiz

I will second John Halloran's Astrology for Windows, formerly called AstrolDeluxe Report Writer and before that AstrolDL.

Actually Astrology for Windows is a 'cut down' version of AstrolDeluxe. Astrology for Windows is currently at version 3.0 whilst AstrolDeluxe is at version 8.6, so whilst it is derived from AstrolDeluxe, it hasn't formallly replaced it. It just doesn't have anything like the range of features of the AstrolDeluxe (though you can happily live with out them if you're just doing occasional Astrology). Astrology for Windows does share virtually the same interface and charting facilities, so if you start with it and then upgrade, to AstrolDeluxe, the learning curve is not as bad as it might be. I think you also get your registration fee back, as long as it's for the current version. In many ways, it's a good stand alone program.

AstrolDeluxe has inbuilt interpretations, as well as extra features. I don't like these, they lead to laziness and the don't really make you think about Astrology. Solar Fire is as bad. For me, I'd rather pay less and ditch them. That's especially true as both programs have a range of features that aren't really covered in the simplistic interpretations, so if you rely on the interpretations you underuse the program by a long way.

Barleywine said:
.....I also have Morinus (it's a little more complicated to set up because you have to download and install a second software called - I believe - the Python library - but it works well, and I also have Riyal. I've mostly been doing horary astology lately, so I've been using Halloran's software with its Regiomontanus house feature and easy-to-read charts.

Later versions of Morinus come with a 'python.dll' which is automatically installed and don't require python to be installed separately, though I know there's the occasional problem for some people of it not working. I had a similar problem with it's cousin, Valens and had to install python separately. However 99.9% of installations seem to run OK.

Yes Halloran's charts are easy to set up and easy to read. But one of the key reasons I moved to Solar Fire and then Morinus was that it didn't cater well for horary. AstrolDeluxe could not handle Terms, Faces and Triplicities nor could it deal with considerations before judgement, planetary hour rulers, etc. That might have changed, since version 6.0 though I can't find anything on his site to indicate it. Sadly it's just too limited for Traditional use. And I am sad about that because I like the interface and charts.

Morinus is actually a lot better for horary (using the traditional version) and indeed Traditional Astrology, generally. For a beginner, such things are not really important at all, so I'd keep with my recommendation of Astrology for Windows as a basic program. As Morinus is free you can also add that to increase your feature range as you progress. Taken together, I'd say that these two programs can cope with 99% of Astrology issues, unless you go into something really odd LOL

Barleywine

Actually Astrology for Windows is a 'cut down' version of AstrolDeluxe. Astrology for Windows is currently at version 3.0 whilst AstrolDeluxe is at version 8.6, so whilst it is derived from AstrolDeluxe, it hasn't formallly replaced it. It just doesn't have anything like the range of features of the AstrolDeluxe (though you can happily live with out them if you're just doing occasional Astrology). Astrology for Windows does share virtually the same interface and charting facilities, so if you start with it and then upgrade, to AstrolDeluxe, the learning curve is not as bad as it might be. I think you also get your registration fee back, as long as it's for the current version. In many ways, it's a good stand alone program.

AstrolDeluxe has inbuilt interpretations, as well as extra features. I don't like these, they lead to laziness and the don't really make you think about Astrology. Solar Fire is as bad. For me, I'd rather pay less and ditch them. That's especially true as both programs have a range of features that aren't really covered in the simplistic interpretations, so if you rely on the interpretations you underuse the program by a long way.

Later versions of Morinus come with a 'python.dll' which is automatically installed and don't require python to be installed separately, though I know there's the occasional problem for some people of it not working. I had a similar problem with it's cousin, Valens and had to install python separately. However 99.9% of installations seem to run OK.

Yes Halloran's charts are easy to set up and easy to read. But one of the key reasons I moved to Solar Fire and then Morinus was that it didn't cater well for horary. AstrolDeluxe could not handle Terms, Faces and Triplicities nor could it deal with considerations before judgement, planetary hour rulers, etc. That might have changed, since version 6.0 though I can't find anything on his site to indicate it. Sadly it's just too limited for Traditional use. And I am sad about that because I like the interface and charts.

Morinus is actually a lot better for horary (using the traditional version) and indeed Traditional Astrology, generally. For a beginner, such things are not really important at all, so I'd keep with my recommendation of Astrology for Windows as a basic program. As Morinus is free you can also add that to increase your feature range as you progress. Taken together, I'd say that these two programs can cope with 99% of Astrology issues, unless you go into something really odd LOL

Thanks for reordering my memory on Halloran's software. It's been a long time since I considered its origins. I agree that the "canned" interpretations are mostly useless. What I am interested in is the module he has that offers some of the older British material. I haven't looked at it closely, though, so can't say whether it's of any value. I had a conversation with John about traditional methods, and he said he's more interested in "moving astrology forward, not backward."

Minderwiz

What I am interested in is the module he has that offers some of the older British material. I haven't looked at it closely, though, so can't say whether it's of any value. I had a conversation with John about traditional methods, and he said he's more interested in "moving astrology forward, not backward."

Yes, I don't think we are going to get John to address the issue of Traditional Astrology - I was one of his testers for an Android App he wrote and I got the same response with references to the Tradition. The problem is that if you head up a blind alley (which much of the modern stuff is), you need to turn round and backtrack. Learning about how the system was designed to operate enables us to have some measure of where it should be going, not simply following whichever way the wind of fashion is blowing.

The Classic British Astro Report is described as using various authors - 'Authors include Alan Leo, Sepharial, Evangeline Adams, Charles E.O. Carter, and John Halloran.'

So this is early to mid twentieth century plus Halloran himself. It's hardly classic in the history of Astrology, though it's perhaps important in the development of the Astrological revival.

Ronia

The Mercury in Libra still sounds MORE like me then the one in Scorpio, though. :)

A chart is what it is. As we mature, we do (or should) learn to work our best with what was given us at birth. To play the bad cop here, most people choose a planet placement they just love and cling to it for dear life regardless what their chart shows. In your case I'd suggest first carefully considering what descriptions of Mercury in Scorpio you're reading and how reliable they are. I personally see no wrong in a mind sharp and logical, investigative aNd intelligent, able to see through and speak straight forward and reach to the bottom of things where others dare not to go. This is the surgical cut. Of course, this placement has its negatives aswell. So does Mercury in Libra.

Barleywine

Yes, I don't think we are going to get John to address the issue of Traditional Astrology - I was one of his testers for an Android App he wrote and I got the same response with references to the Tradition. The problem is that if you head up a blind alley (which much of the modern stuff is), you need to turn round and backtrack. Learning about how the system was designed to operate enables us to have some measure of where it should be going, not simply following whichever way the wind of fashion is blowing.

The Classic British Astro Report is described as using various authors - 'Authors include Alan Leo, Sepharial, Evangeline Adams, Charles E.O. Carter, and John Halloran.'

So this is early to mid twentieth century plus Halloran himself. It's hardly classic in the history of Astrology, though it's perhaps important in the development of the Astrological revival.

I've never been a fan of "canned" reports because they use an "addititve" approach rather than "combinative" one. A dash of this and a dollop of that piled one on top of the other. But it takes me forever to write up a natal report from scratch, so I've been taking the editable stuff, building a report skeleton with it, and then fleshing it out with my own interpretation (building my own text library in the process). The New Age psychological bias of the material that came with the Deluxe Report Writer takes way too much dismantling and reconstructing, so I was wondering whether the British Astro Report was at least marginally less "fluffy." I think I did see a sample paragraph or two and it seemed workable for my purpose.

Minderwiz

I've never been a fan of "canned" reports because they use an "addititve" approach rather than "combinative" one. A dash of this and a dollop of that piled one on top of the other. But it takes me forever to write up a natal report from scratch, so I've been taking the editable stuff, building a report skeleton with it, and then fleshing it out with my own interpretation (building my own text library in the process). The New Age psychological basis of the material that came with the Deluxe Report Writer takes way too much dismantling and reconstructing, so I was wondering whether the British Astro Report was at least marginally less "fluffy." I think I did see a sample paragraph or two and it seemed workable for my purpose.

John has samples on his web page that you can read (and I think download in pdf format. They are for QEII and Barack Obama but they give a sense of what you get for your $40. Bearing in mind these are drawn from several authors, you then have the task of sifting through for the bits that you want to keep or discard. Here's the link to the Obama report.

http://www.halloran.com/BObama2.htm

I used to find that when I tried to do a modern Astrology reading, I had pages and pages of notes on minor aspects, planets in houses, planets in signs, harmonics, etc. And, according to the textbooks, I had to 'integrate' it to produce an overall picture.

One of the things that surprised me when I started out on Traditional Astrology was that the huge natal report (sometimes 50 pages or more) just did not exist. It's a product fo the computer era and the view that the chart needs to yield a reading of an integrated psyche.

Lilly's natal analysis in Christian Astrology Book III takes but 19 pages (bear in mind that was in a type face that was larger than modern ones) He devotes over 60 pages to a year by year set of predictions. (My guess is that he would not normally have done that but is writing to illustrate his techniques in a textbook. I would think that normally he would do one or two years at most).

His nineteen pages consist of four page on temperament or personality (yes four pages) and the remainder looks at the other eleven houses, though not in sequence. He looks at 'riches', 'bretheren', parents', 'sickness and servants; 'marriage', 'children' travels, 'profession and magistracy', 'friends', 'imprisonment' and 'death'. A sequence that seems to hang together quite well, though these days we might not bother with 'imprisonment' - Lilly only gives in nine lines - and we are too sensitive to talk about death and its quality. The longest sections tend to be on marriage, children, and career, which fits into the modern context quite well.

Again, I wouldn't think he would do all those areas for a client, unless asked to cover them. A reading would cover temperament, riches, marriage, children, parents and family and career, unless he was asked for something else.

I found that my own readings improved dramatically, when I stopped trying to integrate everything and concentrated on temperament and then later added in the key topics (in the opinion of the sitter). Suddenly the clutter of endless data could be organised on a 'proper' basis. Getting rid of the outers and the minor aspects also reduced the clutter to a manageable list, capable of being organised and applied where it mattered.

There isn't a need to integrate a chart - though personality will have significance for some other areas of life and needs to be related to them, in the reading. But not everything is meant to fit together or form a unified whole. Even at a psychological level our mind isn't an integrated whole, we have conflicting urges, thoughts, reactions, etc and these aren't necessarily consistent over time. Our minds aren't random but they aren't either mechanisms, organisms in their own right, or computer programs. There are unifying forces and predispositions but they don't eliminate conflicts or contradictions.

Extend that to life as a whole and you can see that integration beyond the general is not going to work.

celticnoodle

yes, I understand this Ronia. But then, Minderwiz did mention that Mercury was still in Libra and the alabe.com just rounded it off to a 00 degree in Scorpio.

Now, this does bring another question to the table, if someone will be so kind to help me. Since I am still a Mercury in Libra--but towards the very end of it and just about to go into Scorpio, would it be logical to look at both points (Libra and Scorpio) and blend them together?

I went back to look at Mercury in Scorpio a 2nd time to re-evaluate and some of its attributes I can identify with, but I also identify with a lot of the Mercury in Libra too, and in fact, I think much more. So, should I combine the two since I'm just about on the cusp of Scorpio? or should I go solely on only the Mercury in Libra, 29 degrees 54 minutes?

And, what about those other symbols in that Mercury of Scorpio on my chart--the .06 degrees in Venus and .07 in Neptune? Do, I also look at these symbols in Scorpio or Libra or what? They must have some significance since they also showed up in my chart. how do I read these into it?

Minderwiz

yes, I understand this Ronia. But then, Minderwiz did mention that Mercury was still in Libra and the alabe.com just rounded it off to a 00 degree in Scorpio.

Now, this does bring another question to the table, if someone will be so kind to help me. Since I am still a Mercury in Libra--but towards the very end of it and just about to go into Scorpio, would it be logical to look at both points (Libra and Scorpio) and blend them together?

I went back to look at Mercury in Scorpio a 2nd time to re-evaluate and some of its attributes I can identify with, but I also identify with a lot of the Mercury in Libra too, and in fact, I think much more. So, should I combine the two since I'm just about on the cusp of Scorpio? or should I go solely on only the Mercury in Libra, 29 degrees 54 minutes?

And, what about those other symbols in that Mercury of Scorpio on my chart--the .06 degrees in Venus and .07 in Neptune? Do, I also look at these symbols in Scorpio or Libra or what? They must have some significance since they also showed up in my chart. how do I read these into it?

As Ronia says you have to go by what the chart tells you and it tells you that Mercury is in Scorpio. Many Medieval Astrologers allowed a five degree border when looking at planets approaching a house cusp but not a sign cusp. The most that I've seen there is a discussion about whether a planet in the last degree of a sign should really be treated as being in the next sign. It's not an argument I go for but if you did then you'd have to treat the 11:38 am chart as having Mercury in Scorpio.

On those numbers: What the chart is telling you is that Venus is at 06 degrees Scorpio, that is it is further through the sign than Mercury, which entered it on your birth date. Similarly to 07 next to Neptune shows that it was at 7 degrees Scorpio, i.e. 1 degree further on than Venus.

If those are the only numbers displayed by the planets then there is a little inaccuracy in the stated placements, the minutes of the degree are omitted, Venus was at 6 degrees and 3 minutes. That's not much of a discrepency but Mercury was at 0 degrees 35 minutes, so the stated figure is actually over half a degree out. Even worse, Neptune is at 7 degrees 47 minutes, over three quarters of a degree out. This is probably a feature of the display routine rather than the calculation accuracy.

Now you have Mercury applying to a conjunction with Venus (Mercury is faster than Venus and has just under five and a half degrees to go) and Venus is applying to a conjunction with Neptune (just under two degrees to go and Venus is much faster than Neptune).

You will probably find a lot of Astrologers will claim that you have a three way conjunction between these planets. I wouldn't make that claim but I agree that it's debatable. The reason that I wouldn't agree is that the Mercury Venus conjunction never happened. Mercury chased Venus through much of Scorpio but never caught it, because it began to slow and turned retrograde at 24 degrees Scorpio. Even if there is some affect by this proximity it can't be treated as a full conjunction. Indeed just under 5 degrees was the nearest it came.

Both Venus and Mercury did make the conjunction with Neptune, so if you are going t extend your analysis to Neptune, remember to allow for both conjunctions.