What EXACTLLY are Sun Sign and Rising Sign ?

sunstallion

I am a little confused about the difference between sun sign and rising sign.

Some people told me that sun sign is actually who i am in the inside. Rising sign is actually how people see me on the outside.

But I also heard the other way from some people that Rising sign is actually what i am in the inside and Sun sign is actually what people see me on the outside.

so, what exactly are sun sign and rising sign ?

Btw, i am a Leo with Scorpio Rising. I had astrological consultation before, but I had the wrong birthtime. That wrong birthtime gave me a Libra Rising instead of Scorpio. Since then, I had not order another consultation just because i dont feel like I need to.

Actually, different astrologers told me different things that confused me.

Isarma

hi! the sun sign tells what energy your ego will manifested, it is the center of the self. The rising sign tells you with what energy do you act, what energy do you use everytime you "enter" something, is how people see you, actualy it is the energy in the horizon when you were born, it is how you entered this world, it also speaks of your fisic image. example: a female, sun sign cancer.... maybe she's shy, and sweet, and... soft...lol rising sign: aires: everytime she goes to work, she's noticed, she's active, she's competitive etc... hope it helped :)

star-lover

sun sign is your character, youre core, what youre made of, what inspires you, motivates you, your talents, and what you become and grow into as you mature

rising sign is your general approach to things in a day to day practical way and the way you work towards your sun's goals - its been described as a filter or the particular kind of lens you view the world with, your mode of operating and dealing with things

Willamena

sunstallion said:
Some people told me that sun sign is actually who i am in the inside. Rising sign is actually how people see me on the outside.

What EXACTLLY are Sun Sign and Rising Sign ?

Exactly? Oh, well… The Sun is not 'you' so much as all the planets in the horoscope chart are 'you'. But the Sun is a part of that.

"The Sun" represents 'you' taking in the world around you, a world with which you must interact every moment of your life. By interaction with 'it' (the world) you bring perceptions (Moon) into the mind where they reside as ideas (Mercury) in memory; these ideas will influence and shape (Venus) who this 'you' ultimately is, and will be acted (Mars) upon, if not immediately and deliberately then at some future time, when they will be drawn upon to 'change the world' (Jupiter) to suit us and others, to the best of our 'limited abilities' (Saturn).

We are all (in)formed by our ideas. The Sun symbolizes the "we" who is being formed this way.

We are each the subject of the world around us. Being a subject creates a world (of stored ideas of things); and having a world creates a subject. (Duality)

A "sign" is an indication that something is. It comes upon us by observation and interpretation of events --like if a friend is suddenly quiet, we may take it as a sign that there is something wrong. A "take" is like a snapshot of circumstances, often with a specific meaning that stands out for that moment in time. A "take" is not done with deliberation but spontaneity; therefore, a "take" always represents something "true to me."

You have a way of taking in the world around you that is true to you --true to who you are. Your natal chart is also a take --a divinatory take on 'you' at a particular time in your life. And there is a third take involved that brings it all together as "astrology" --one that the astrologer makes in looking at the symbols on the chart. He makes a take on 'you'.

The astrological Sign of the Sun in a chart is an indicator of the subject's take on the world. The constellation "Leo" in the heavens represents a stage in the development of "Man" where he takes his place on a seat of power... like his name-sake, the king of the beasts. He has power through knowledge of who 'he' is ("I am."), power to control his world, and power that attracts others to him "like moths to the flame." All the personality traits that can be associated with such things are at Leo's command.
Think Simba "taking his place" on Pride Rock --life returns when the "king" is (in)formed in 'you'. ("He lives in you.")

To say that "the Sun is in (a Sign)" is to say that the Sign is the nature of the "take" that an astrologer, who looks at the horoscope chart, makes in consideration of any evaluation of your take on the world. Astrology happens when the astrologer looks at the symbols and makes a connection between its take on 'you' that happens for us at a single moment in time and (for the Sun) your take on the world that happens every moment of your life.

The Sign that is Rising on the Eastern horizon at the time of birth is part of a second divinatory method within the horoscope chart utilizing astrology's Houses (as opposed to planets). It also represents 'you' but the significant difference is that the Houses symbolize things and events in our lives, so in the astrologer's take of the First House (which the Rising Sign borders) he interprets things and events that take place in relation to you.

"Relation" is the key word --all the Houses are about relating to 'you' (the subject). In taking in the world around you and becoming subject to it, a relation is born between 'you' and 'it'. Well, that means that necessarily all those it's that make up the world out there also have a relation to you. The Rising Sign defines the First House, wherein things and events relate to you.

The Rising Sign is often said to express "how others see you," because they are in relation to you. They see you from out there, and can reveal things that you might not have known about yourself (like that zit on the end of my nose! :)). The Rising Sign gives us another's take on you --things like your physical appearance, and (as Isarma said) the "face" that the world sees in things you say and do.

Scorpio in the heavens represents a stage of "Man" where he is part of a duo, a couple, but still very much himself. He hasn't yet "given in the dark side" (relatively speaking) and become fully a partner in a partnership, so he finds his indulgences come at the expense of the partnership, a situation that is inherently unfair. The Sign of Scorpio pulls such personality traits out his pocket, often when people least expect it.

Hope this helps.
(They sometimes confuse me too.)

Isarma

exelent response!!!!!!!!!! :)

Tara2007

Willamena said:
Exactly? Oh, well… The Sun is not 'you' so much as all the planets in the horoscope chart are 'you'. But the Sun is a part of that.

"The Sun" represents 'you' taking in the world around you, a world with which you must interact every moment of your life. By interaction with 'it' (the world) you bring perceptions (Moon) into the mind where they reside as ideas (Mercury) in memory; these ideas will influence and shape (Venus) who this 'you' ultimately is, and will be acted (Mars) upon, if not immediately and deliberately then at some future time, when they will be drawn upon to 'change the world' (Jupiter) to suit us and others, to the best of our 'limited abilities' (Saturn).

We are all (in)formed by our ideas. The Sun symbolizes the "we" who is being formed this way.

We are each the subject of the world around us. Being a subject creates a world (of stored ideas of things); and having a world creates a subject. (Duality)

A "sign" is an indication that something is. It comes upon us by observation and interpretation of events --like if a friend is suddenly quiet, we may take it as a sign that there is something wrong. A "take" is like a snapshot of circumstances, often with a specific meaning that stands out for that moment in time. A "take" is not done with deliberation but spontaneity; therefore, a "take" always represents something "true to me."

You have a way of taking in the world around you that is true to you --true to who you are. Your natal chart is also a take --a divinatory take on 'you' at a particular time in your life. And there is a third take involved that brings it all together as "astrology" --one that the astrologer makes in looking at the symbols on the chart. He makes a take on 'you'.

The astrological Sign of the Sun in a chart is an indicator of the subject's take on the world. The constellation "Leo" in the heavens represents a stage in the development of "Man" where he takes his place on a seat of power... like his name-sake, the king of the beasts. He has power through knowledge of who 'he' is ("I am."), power to control his world, and power that attracts others to him "like moths to the flame." All the personality traits that can be associated with such things are at Leo's command.
Think Simba "taking his place" on Pride Rock --life returns when the "king" is (in)formed in 'you'. ("He lives in you.")

To say that "the Sun is in (a Sign)" is to say that the Sign is the nature of the "take" that an astrologer, who looks at the horoscope chart, makes in consideration of any evaluation of your take on the world. Astrology happens when the astrologer looks at the symbols and makes a connection between its take on 'you' that happens for us at a single moment in time and (for the Sun) your take on the world that happens every moment of your life.

The Sign that is Rising on the Eastern horizon at the time of birth is part of a second divinatory method within the horoscope chart utilizing astrology's Houses (as opposed to planets). It also represents 'you' but the significant difference is that the Houses symbolize things and events in our lives, so in the astrologer's take of the First House (which the Rising Sign borders) he interprets things and events that take place in relation to you.

"Relation" is the key word --all the Houses are about relating to 'you' (the subject). In taking in the world around you and becoming subject to it, a relation is born between 'you' and 'it'. Well, that means that necessarily all those it's that make up the world out there also have a relation to you. The Rising Sign defines the First House, wherein things and events relate to you.

The Rising Sign is often said to express "how others see you," because they are in relation to you. They see you from out there, and can reveal things that you might not have known about yourself (like that zit on the end of my nose! :)). The Rising Sign gives us another's take on you --things like your physical appearance, and (as Isarma said) the "face" that the world sees in things you say and do.

Scorpio in the heavens represents a stage of "Man" where he is part of a duo, a couple, but still very much himself. He hasn't yet "given in the dark side" (relatively speaking) and become fully a partner in a partnership, so he finds his indulgences come at the expense of the partnership, a situation that is inherently unfair. The Sign of Scorpio pulls such personality traits out his pocket, often when people least expect it.

Hope this helps.
(They sometimes confuse me too.)

Yes, the Rising Sign is how others see you. I have been a client of astrologers for a long time, and one thing they have all agreed on is that the Rising Sign represents your physical characteristics and also the way you present yourself. It's the "foot you put forward first".

The Sun sign, as you have already said, is basically your personality, but it needs to be combined with the placement of the other planets to really give the whole picture.

Love & Light

dadsnook2000

A few comments

The observations given are both precise enough and broad enough to answer the original question so I'll not cover the same ground with repetition. I would like to point out some other considerations.

Our time and location of birth gives us something astrologically unique, a set of angles which are great circles (in astronomical and spherical geometry contexts). We are the only ones to have that set of angles and the planets-in- their-relative-positions-to-those-angles combination. This is what makes us astrologically unique unless we share a birth time and place with another such as a twin or as a neighbor.

When we look at planets-in-signs view of the celestial sphere, we likely share that combination with many others around the globe -- however they will not have the ASC-MC-Planet pattern we have at birth.

This is why the ASC degree represents the "face" we present, our attitude about how we deal with and react to our environment. What comes over the ASC degree is new and has to be faced, evaluated, and dealt with. On the other hand, what is at the MC is above us, established, known -- so to speak. This symbolizes are place and public posture.

One comment about the Sun. The Sun has several levels of play in our chart. One of these is that it is an "integrating" factor. It vitalizes and shapes the role of the planet's expressions, it orientates the focus we place on the "points" in our chart such as the angles, the Moon's nodes, the Vertex, etc. The planet's Mercury and Venus, for example, almost always need to be seen in context to their position about the Sun in order to fully appreciate the subtle ways they can express themselves, while the outer planets have a differing relationship to the Sun. Note that I have not yet mentioned "signs" that the Sun may be in. The Sun can be seen working through angles, through houses, through aspects and phase relationships, and through signs. The Sun requires several books of its own to address all of the detail that could be rightfully attributed to it.

Thankfully, as astrologers we quickly learn the art of synthesis in which we spot the key patterns and focus on them. This 1% of the whole permits us to grasp the essence of what we are looking at. Dave