How do you store your cards?

kittydorkdork

I have been using whatever I can get my hands on to store decks in. I bought a necklace from Killstar and it came in a "velvet" drawstring pouch thing, so I use that. I got some jewelry from Heavy Red and have gotten 3 different pouches from them. I've got my New Orleans Voodoo tarot in a cottony bag meant for some sort of rice. I've got a deck in a clear, thick plastic pouch with a "zipper" (I think it came from luggage like you're supposed to keep your toiletries in it maybe?). I have a deck in a mini makeup bag I got from one of those monthly makeup subscription things. I think I have a couple decks just floating around so I should really toss 'em in some ziplock bags because that's the only thing I can think of to use... I have been thinking of knitting or crocheting my own pouches. I started one for the Tarot of the Vampyres but it ended up being WAY.TOO.SMALL. And I haven't tried since then...

And then I keep all THOSE currently in a cardboard box that's loafing around in the living room. I had them in a linen closet just sitting out. Then I moved them to a bookshelf. Now they're in the box. Ideally I'd love to get a trunk or some sort to keep all my decks and witchy sort of stuff in.

*note I don't move ALL my decks into different containment units. Just the ones that come in oversized, useless boxes. I'm a bit of a minimalist and trying to keep it simple and save space.

willowy

In an ideal world,where I had unlimited space,each deck would have its own wooden box,there would be fragrant lavender and mugwort to enhance psychic abilities stored with them,along with quartz and amethyst crystals to keep them cleansed and empowered,the cards themselves would be wrapped in vibrant satin cloths,while all the books were stored together on a nearby bookcase...
Unfortunately in my real world,space is a problem so,with the exception of two decks,most are stored in the box they came in,along with book and placed in a cupboard,or wherever I have the space.

violetdaisy

When you don't actually have your cards out for use, where do you keep them? I see many "tarot boxes" on Amazon and eBay, and many bags, etc. Most of the stores in my area which sell tarot cards also sell these same sort of items, of varying quality.

I am drawn to some sort of nice wooden box, but the ones I've seen have not always been so wonderful in terms of workmanship (although the designs are often attractive), so at present, I'm keeping my cards in their original cardboard boxes, and being very careful.

Try "world of boxes" - I have 5 of my decks in them. 3 of the boxes I bought "raw" and painted/finished myself. The 4x6 boxes (exterior dimensions) work great for standard tarot cards - and if you'd like you can still fit a (thin) silk drawstring bag in them around your cards or their original box. - I recommend doing that because I do have one deck that apparently the finish "likes" the wood on the interior and tries to stick.

For travel - i did what someone else recommended (haven't read the other posts). I got a 3x5 index card box (well a 4-pack) with plastic snaps. Tarot cards in box in lightweight bag fit :)

ETA ---grr & grumble, went to their site and apparently now you have to register for pricing as a "business" so I made one up *shrug* we'll see. I'd be happy to purchase 20 or so boxes and then just "have" them .... will have to see what minimum order is.

page of ghosts

I've made pouches for some of my decks and keep them all in a small chest on my bookshelf. It's not the prettiest chest but it does the trick. I've kept the rest of them in a very small kid-suitcase in cardboard with bunnies on it, but recently almost all of them have come to live in the chest whether they have a pouch or not.

Cocobird55

I have a few decks in boxes, but most of them are kept in bags, which are organized in baskets.

Tea&Temperance

Right now I have my tarot/oracles in their original boxes on a shelf. I recently acquired a couple shoe boxes that I plan to collage at some point and will probably keep them within that (in their original boxes) on the shelf.
The only one not in their box is the Lumina Tarot - it came with a bag which I think works better for it than the larger box it came in.

FLizarraga

Well, at home.

Ron521

First, I don't intend this to be a plug for Amazon, but after a fair bit of online searching I settled on THIS:

https://www.amazon.com/Enchanted-Wo...rd_wg=SZDTC&psc=1&refRID=177MNWYNBWGXRKDJCVHF

I chose this box because I had seen other "Polish made boxes" and found the workmanship to be very high. This one is the largest size, and it will hold 11 of my decks in their original boxes. Nine of the decks are standard size (i.e. Universal Tarot, Robin Wood, Lo Scarabeo Tarot, etc) arranged 3 across the front of the compartment, and stacked 3 deep. There is space along the back of the box for two more smaller size decks (i.e. Hanson-Roberts, Barbara Walker) laying on their sides.

Decks which come in tins seem to usually be slightly smaller than standard size as well, so more of those would also fit, if needed.

I can't praise the box itself highly enough, the workmanship was everything I hoped for, and much, much better than most of the boxes which are sold in metaphysical shops...perfect fit and finish, made from Linden wood and carved with a leaf design which runs around the bottom, attractive without screaming "hey, there is something magical inside here". The box has a functional lock with two old-style brass keys, if you need to keep curious people out (although it could probably be picked with a paper clip or hairpin if you lost the keys).

The same company makes similar boxes in two smaller sizes, and with alternate finishes available on some of them, which would likely work for single decks or possibly more, depending on the size of the deck(s). Bear in mind that the lid is slightly larger than the sides of the box, and the sides have their own thickness, about 5/8 inches on each side, so the interior compartment is about 1 1/4 inch less than exterior dimensions. Both of the smaller sizes are also available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Espresso-Sta...rd_wg=3Vpj5&psc=1&refRID=6QMA5G3NPDJFA44BM16D

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Trad...rd_wg=YnhFY&psc=1&refRID=P4GK6TERP8P8RYPWGB92

https://www.amazon.com/JEWELRY-WOOD...rd_wg=7RJWp&psc=1&refRID=FA9DW7P7KQ0EC6WK7YRA

I hope this helps someone who is looking for a place to store their treasured cards.

Pique Dame

If it's one I like using, in a drawstring bag. I keep my favorite RWS in a bag and also wrapped in a silk scarf for extra protection. If it's not one I use often, in the original box. I just got my Thelema deck and plan to get a bag to put it in but for now it's in its box.

JylliM

Here, I've attached a picture of most of them. That's in my lounge room. I have some more in my bedroom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 177