How Often Do You Check For Missing Cards?

How Often Do You Check For Missing Cards?

• Before/After Every Use

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Intuitively

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters

VGimlet

I never used to, because it wasn't an issue, but I actually do order my cards after I do the DOTW with it, and it's proven very handy because I've come across two decks that were missing cards. Luckily they were newer decks so I was able to contact the sender/artist and get the missing cards.

Ive never actually lost a card, but I have left a card or two in the bag or box before. :p

Madame Squee

Initially, I lay out a new (or used) deck in order by suit and examine each card. After that, I count cards by dealing them into 6 piles of 13 each whenever I feel like the deck needs freshening. Like Grizabella, I can tell if I'm going to come up short long before I'm done dealing. The first thing I do when that happens is check the box or bag or even the floor, and that's where it is. (God only knows how it got to the floor!) Sometimes, I realize that there will be too many and remember that I forgot to remove the squirrel or title cards. I've never lost a card (knock x 3).

willowy

Where is the answer "the first time I hold it in my hand and then NEVER"?

I do put my decks in order and shuffle them again to keep them warm and fresh, but not in order to check whether all the cards are there. Never thought about that possibility :-o

I kind of agree with Nemia,
The first time I open a deck I always check for missing cards or having a double of one card etc but other than that I don't check,unless of course I drop them and may have a card slide under then sofa lol.

Ace

Jeez I'm surprised šŸ˜³! Am I the only one that loses cards? I'm sure this missing one is somewhere in the house, but I've lost really lost cards before and didn't realize one was missing until I counted them to give the deck away.

I lose cards from time to time. I used to work an outdoor gig at Halloween that it became a sort of "Tradition" and not a nice one, that I would lose one card by the end of the 2-3 week daily stint we did there. The gig was outdoors in Daley Plaza and it was WINDY. Wind would come up, cards would flip off and people would be kind enough to chase them. (I was in a closed booth that I had to crawl under to get into---I could not get out fast enough to chase a card.) By the end, I always had a card flip out and no matter how people chased it, it was gone.

I am happy to say, I don't work outside often any more, even in the summer, but cards can drop off the table and slip away. I don't lose cards knowingly, but even my new deck of choice includes a copy that is a few cards short...... I try to make sure to search the floor after a gig, and sometimes even count them during, to be sure they are all there.

Barb

Libra 58

I count the cards when I get the deck and then check every card so there is no double of any one.
Now and then a couple of times a week I count them but I think it's more meditative than just counting for numbers of cards.
I lost a card ones and I didn't found it, I thought I had lost it for god but after three weeks I found it behind a pile of books and a guitar!

euripides

THIS. I check my stuff and move on. After I've used it several times, if there's a card missing in the deck, I won't notice and it's just as well. If it went for a walk, there's a reason why it won't participate in my readings ;)

I love this idea.

I haven't been checking, but I will now. Recently I started a reading with my Spanish TdM and it just felt really wrong... and I looked and discovered all the majors (except the High Priestess - go figure!) were missing. I can only imagine that I'd separated them for doing a pips-only reading (and I think I'd been going to take the pip cards to play as regular cards) or maybe I'd wanted to study the courts (both are possible things I'd been thinking about) ... either way I've tucked them away somewhere and have no idea where.

Maybe they don't want to be found, and I'm supposed to keep reading without the majors to figure my everyday life out. (In which case, why the High Priestess?)

AJ

Jeez I'm surprised šŸ˜³! Am I the only one that loses cards? I'm sure this missing one is somewhere in the house, but I've lost really lost cards before and didn't realize one was missing until I counted them to give the deck away.

there is a thread with 1000ish posts on missing cards, closed now, and a new one for lost cards with dozens of posts. Based on that I'd think it was a common occurrence.

Nica

If I take my deck outside of the house to use, I count as soon as I return back home to ensure I didn't love any cards in my purse or on the go.

Otherwise, when I put them in order if I feel the deck needs a rest.

dancing_moon

I guess I'm one of the few who checks before/after every use. :bugeyed: But that's because I'm an overhand/pile shuffler, and every time I deal the deck in 6 piles, I know they're all in place, otherwise it would mean 6 cards are missing, which is highly unlikely. :D

earthair

I put them in order when I get a new or especially second hand deck, then never again....except recently I opened a tarot book and discovered I'd been using my RWS Moon as a book mark, so maybe I had better check more often :neutral: