Wild Unknown Mass market printing wonky?

barefootlife

WU is my main deck, and if you intend to do a lot of reading with it, do yourself the favor of hunting down just the deck, not the gift pack. I have the 2nd edition printed in Hong Kong, and the card stock is pleasantly thick (hard to ruffle until you break it in a little). You don't really need the full guide, the lwb is enough and really forces you to rely on intuition. There are some changed cards between the first and second edition, and the second edition cardstock I have matches the first edition animal oracle exactly. (The oracle really does need the guidebook)

delinfrey

I have all the Wild Unknown decks (1st, 2nd, mass-edition and oracle) and I must say I'm a big fan of the mass-edition version. First of all, the storage solution is beautiful and you get a lot of bang for the buck - the guidebook is FAR superior to the WU original one and the card stock is wonderful for a mass-produced deck as well.

I do love the original decks, but I rarely use them - honestly they don't shuffle do well and I'm kind of scared to hurt/scratch them. The mass-edition print is a little bit... I don't even know... waxier? I had no problems with mine, except a slightly damaged edge on the Moon card which could be rectified with a fingernail.

barefootlife

I do love the original decks, but I rarely use them - honestly they don't shuffle do well and I'm kind of scared to hurt/scratch them.

Don't be afraid to use your second edition! I cut the deck and then riffle-shuffle each half, and after a week or two of regular use I could riffle the whole deck without any bend or damage to the cards. Just push them together patiently, because you're right, they don't slide super easily, but I haven't done any damage to the finish at all, or had any corner issues. But they're much more--satisfying, I guess?--to shuffle and lay than my Linestrider deck, which is a regular playing-card thickness. I've heard the first edition is on even thicker cardstock, so that might not work as well.

Dogs&Coffee

I got TWU gift set on amazon and it was mostly fine. Some poorly cut paper splinters on some edges, and the corner of one of the cards was splitting, but nothing a good pair of scissors and some krazy glue didn't fix.

Dogs&Coffee

Don't be afraid to use your second edition! I cut the deck and then riffle-shuffle each half, and after a week or two of regular use I could riffle the whole deck without any bend or damage to the cards. Just push them together patiently, because you're right, they don't slide super easily, but I haven't done any damage to the finish at all, or had any corner issues. But they're much more--satisfying, I guess?--to shuffle and lay than my Linestrider deck, which is a regular playing-card thickness. I've heard the first edition is on even thicker cardstock, so that might not work as well.

omg... I just got linestrider and the paperstock feels like staples copy paper... super disappointed :(

CharlotteK

I only have the 2nd edition and I really love the cardstock. Thinking of getting a back up copy before they're all gone as this deck is special.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

magicjack

I actually see this problem in quite a few decks where it's usually the left side is smaller than the right. It usually isn't the whole deck but about half. It's something that I can live with but still annoying. I just received the Tarot of the Holy Light and some of the cards are that way as well. I have other decks that have the same problem. Then I hear others don't have this problem at all! How do these decks find me and not others? LOL

barefootlife

omg... I just got linestrider and the paperstock feels like staples copy paper... super disappointed :(

Right? I love the illustrations, the lwb is good, and it reads well enough, but that feeling of rightness I get with my WU deck when I place the cards with that little sound just isn't there. I need to work with the deck more but it's just not the one I want to reach for.

Dogs&Coffee

Right? I love the illustrations, the lwb is good, and it reads well enough, but that feeling of rightness I get with my WU deck when I place the cards with that little sound just isn't there. I need to work with the deck more but it's just not the one I want to reach for.

Agreed. That little *fwip* you get when you slide and flip a TWU card just isn't there with linestrider... honestly I was super surprised at how bad the stock was considering how nice the box and book were. It's even worse than other llewellyn decks, which I didn't think was possible.

kalliope

I just recently got the mass produced WU. I hadn't noticed bad borders, but I went back through them and do see they're a little uneven. It doesn't bother me much. I only care when they are so close to an edge that the image is in danger of being cut. Then it's annoying.

I have to say I'm enjoying the cardstock on this edition compared to my 1st Edition. Although the first feels nice and substantial, I didn't enjoy handling it in a casual way. With this one I feel like I can just go ahead and USE it, riffle shuffle and all, and I don't have to worry. Sounds like the 2nd Edition cardstock is a sort of compromise between the two. Is this true?