Runes

faerieluca

I wish I could find Haindl! Anyway, I went rue crazy from all the suggestions. Waiting on Witches rune and rune magic cards, as well as Celtic Ogham Staves and Anglo-Saxon wood runes from Tara Hill and a mixed stone old futhark off of eBay! Whew. There goes my spending money for the month! Also want to try and find the Blum cards, even tho they aren't traditional I like them.

Emily

I finally settled on a Rune set to start this journey off with (properly this time) - Soapstone- I found them on Amazon.

The Rune stones are tear drop shaped. I just couldn't decide on what kind of crystal set to go with so I looked at wood then found these. Now I'm just waiting to get them. :)

AJ

My runes are pewter, gotten in a trade here, I love them. They feel substantial in the hand, like a Canadian Toonie or British pound.
After years of looking I finally got a Haindl rune card set (another trade here) and started reading the companion book last night. So far I now know:
Elder Furthark set has 24, and Furthark comes from the first letters in the set.
Then in time the Frisian Furthark runes came along with 28.
Followed by the Younger Furthark with 16 runes.
Then the most recent, and last wide-spread were the Dotted Runes with anywhere from 16-27 in a set.

I'm going to paint the incised lettering red.

Life is short and pewter is strong, I doubt I'll ever need another set. If I do, I'll make my own.

Attachments

• pewter runes.jpg
    pewter runes.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 140

faerieluca

the pewter runes are lovely and i bet they feeling very substantial in the hand.

Sebavin

Oh AJ-- I love those pewter runes!! It seems like such a nice set, like it would be very nice to hold, I don't know how else to describe it, lol.

I've always used Futhark runes...they seem to work for me. The first set I had I made with Venessa---we cut and shaped them from wood (cedar, I think) sanded them down so they were really soft to the touch, and used a wood burner to carve the runes into the little bits of wood. We anointed them with oil as well, and blessed them, tracing over the lines as we did so. It was one of the most therapeutic and loving excercises...and when we started using them, those runes told stories! Runes are a very different experience from tarot, and less forgiving as well.

Over time I lost a few, and Venessa lost a few, so we brought our two sets together and combined them to make a full set, then she sent it on to Sabz in an exchange last year.

Since then I have received a set from bluefairy in an exchange, and plan on making one from amethyst or mixed stones here in the near future.

I've never read with the cards, they all look very interesting, and seem to help in learning the runes before using a set made from natural materials. I've recently become enamored with the ogham sets as well, it will be something new to explore that I feel I would really connect with.

Blessings to you on your journey, faerieluca, and good luck with starting this new chapter :)~

F.M. Tarot

faerieluca said:
I wish I could find Haindl! Anyway, I went rue crazy from all the suggestions. Waiting on Witches rune and rune magic cards, as well as Celtic Ogham Staves and Anglo-Saxon wood runes from Tara Hill and a mixed stone old futhark off of eBay! Whew. There goes my spending money for the month! Also want to try and find the Blum cards, even tho they aren't traditional I like them.

Have you seen the Rune Cards by Tony Linsell and Brian Partridge? The art is so powerful and magical. The very large LWB is wonderful too!

I looked up a thread on Aeclectic here where there is some discussion and some pictures http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=20265

The art, quality of the cardstock, LWB and powerful energy of this deck is second to none in my opinion :)

Gypsyspell

The Runic Tarot? ---I dont have it any thoughts about these? are they a worthwhile purchase?

Bernice

I have The Runic tarot. I like it. The card images are well done and the cardstock handles very nicely.

I've never yet found a rune-oracle that really pleases me, this one is the closest to my 'ideal'. It has a 'celtic' influence which is all very nice image-wise, but I personally don't think it belongs in a Runic deck.

Bee :)

P.S. The packaging is crap.

Gypsyspell

Lol, Thanks Bee, i think i'll get it,crap packaging'n' all -of the decks this is the only one that appeals to me other than the stones for some reason.

Wendywu

Bernice said:
It has a 'celtic' influence which is all very nice image-wise, but I personally don't think it belongs in a Runic deck.

I'd agree with that - I think the Celtic influence belongs with Ogham, and a more Norse/Germanic influence with the runes. Having said that, I love runes and Ogham and although I like handling the stones and staves best, I do have card systems for each. I don't know why .... it's not like one needs the cards and they're so much less portable than stones and staves. Or feel it in my head.

Of the two, I'd probably choose Ogham but I'd hate to have to give up my runes and runecards. I might get the Runic Tarot - it sounds interesting, Celtic influence notwithstanding.