Which Thoth and Book

Winterchild

I have a credit (unexpected gift) with a local online bookstore and they have a Premiere Edition of the Thoth deck.... can anyone tell me if this has an LWB and what the backs are like?

Also what would be the best book for a total beginner... and if that deck is not great which ones are?

Thanks!

Zephyros

I don't know this edition, the US Games site doesn't say why it is Premier, so I can't comment on that. Maybe it refers to the inclusion of the spreadsheet. However, as for a book, try Lon Milo DuQuette's "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot." It is an excellent primer on many things that the Thoth deals with, and it is written in simple, friendly language.

Winterchild

Thanks closrapexa

Many thanks for that closrapexa..... I will look for this book. I think the Premiere is probably like the DM premiere with that spreadsheet. I know dawntarot got once recently though and it had no LWB which I would need!

They also have one in a whute and red old looking box... except its new....??

Chiska

From my own experience, the "Premiere" edition of a USGames deck is the same as "more packaging making it more difficult to steal."

I have a premier Fenestra - it is a Fenestra in another box. It is a tuck box inside another box. I am a couple of others and that is all they seem to be - a tuck box inside another box.

:)

Richard

I have that edition. It came with a spreadsheet, LWB, and the "purple box" Thoth deck (which has three Magi :)). The cards are 2.75 x 4.25 inches, a nice size for shuffling. The backs have the Rose Cross.

Attachments

• thothback.jpg
    thothback.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 150

Winterchild

Thank You!!!!

I have that edition. It came with a spreadsheet, LWB, and the "purple box" Thoth deck (which has three Magi :)). The cards are 2.75 x 4.25 inches, a nice size for shuffling. The backs have the Rose Cross.

Wonderful..thank you..... I was hoping the backs would be similar to the box colours!! Wonder if this is the LWB that I have read is a pretty good one compared to many LWB's you get with other decks?

Winterchild

From my own experience, the "Premiere" edition of a USGames deck is the same as "more packaging making it more difficult to steal."

I have a premier Fenestra - it is a Fenestra in another box. It is a tuck box inside another box. I am a couple of others and that is all they seem to be - a tuck box inside another box.

:)

Ah I get you...yes this was my DM experience too, except it had extras as I got it from Patricks site....

Richard

Wonderful..thank you..... I was hoping the backs would be similar to the box colours!! Wonder if this is the LWB that I have read is a pretty good one compared to many LWB's you get with other decks?
Yes, it is the standard Thoth instruction booklet by Wasserman, Harris, and Kaplan.

WolfyJames

The "purple box" Thoth Tarot is pretty nice, the colors are awesome and the size is medium, not too big not too small.

Zephyros

The Book of Thoth is by no stretch a beginner's book, but any (good) book about the deck quotes liberally from it, so you should get that, too. It's in the public domain, so it can be downloaded for free.