Thoughts about the Seven of Wands, and the Cards on the Sephiroth of the Tree of Life

Magicus Textor

I've been reading this book, The Small Cards of the Tarot, and it has given me some wonderful insights about the Tarot.

I use the Thoth exclusively, so everything I say applies to the Thoth, and I have no knowledge of its application to other decks.

Each Sephirah of the Tree of Life, besides Kether, is either a Sephirah of force and change, of stability and structure, or of resolution and balance. Each triad on the Tree of Life reflects the one above it.

So for instance, in the supernal Sephiroth, Chokmah is the Sephirah of change, and Binah of stability, though only its ideal. Below the abyss, these roles are shifted. Chesed, below Chokmah in the Pillar of Mercy, is stability, and Geburah, below Binah in the Pillar of Severity, is change. Tiphareth is resolution, as every Sephirah of the middle pillar.

Then, below Tiphareth, through what's called the Veil of Paroketh, is Netzach, which is change, and Hod is stability. Yesod is resolution.

So the cards can be seen in this way. Each card, besides the aces, and I guess the tens as well, are either creating (or attempting to create) structure, or breaking that structure with change and force, or at least, especially in Binah, harnessing that force to channel it in appropriate and effective ways.

For an example, I'll use the Seven of Wands, which is the Lord of Valor. Being below the Veil of Paroketh, it is blind to the Light from Kether, so what it is fighting for may not even be close to what it should be fighting for, and thus it is nearly hopeless. We have simply chosen a direction, and fought for it for the mere purpose of fighting for something. But below Tiphareth, we simply can't know what direction is right. All is decay below this level.

These ideas have really helped me to add a new dimension to my readings, and i wanted to share it.

Grigori

Many thanks for the link Magicus, I'm starting to read myself now :)