Golden Dawn Thoth Color Scales Study Group - Introduction

Zephyros

First off, I don't know what I'm doing, so this study group is for beginners. Liber 777 is filled with tables and attributions, and although my hope is that in the course of this group I will become more adept at consulting them (as in what the colors actually mean and why they are what they are, rather than "merely" how they are represented in the Thoth). However, it would be the greatest of understatements to say that I am not at that stage yet. Contributions are of course welcome and encouraged. Once a week, or perhaps twice, to pick up the pace a bit, I will post the card and its prescribed color scales. My reasoning is that taken slowly, I'll look up the meanings of the colors, too, rather than all at once.

So, let's begin. The following is a simplified explanation of the system the Golden Dawn used in its coloring. Harris was gifted, and did stray from the colors on some occasions as she saw fit, as well as mix the colors to form new ones, or at other times the colors corresponding to the decans are used. She also sometimes used the totality of the colors set out in the key scale for a Major in a Minor. For this reason, they may not be apparent at once. I'll give an example at the end.

At the very top, outside of the Tree of Life stands the Supreme Potentiality (the Limitless Light of Ain Sof Or), in the form of pure light. True to its fourfold (the four letters of the Tetragrammaton) nature this light is divided as through a prism. The very highest is the Knight scale, then the Queen, Prince and Princess in descending order. The Knight scale represents the essence and "invisible foundations of color." This is the cleanest and brightest form of light. The Queen scale represents colors as they are seen to the naked eye. The Prince scale combines the colors of his two parents, while the Princess scale is the most mixed and "polluted" form of light (color).These four scales descend through the four Kabbalistic worlds and infuse them. Imagine four separate Trees of life (in essence, each world is a set of 22 majors and ten minors) each with a world. The highest world is Atziluth ("nobility"). The Knight scale descends and colors all the Sephiroth and paths of this world. Next is the Queen scale, descending and coloring all the Sephiroth and paths of the world of Briah ("creation"). The Prince scale colors the Sephiroth and paths of the world of Yetzirah ("making") and the Princess scales colors the Tree of Assiah ("doing"). This gives us 40 colors for the minors. For the majors, though, there are 96 colors, which I don't understand. The tables in the Book of Thoth show 2 additional rows for the Universe and the Aeon. If anyone knows why this is, I would be happy to know.

Assuming 96, this gives us 136 different colors used. In order to analyze the different colors used, let's say, in a Minor, (and thus, perhaps, make some assumptions about connecting the Minors to the Majors) we need to look at the color scale for that Minor, together with its decan and planetary ruler, which correspond to the paths.

If this sounds confusing, it is, but taken step by step, it becomes apparent. I'll be lazy and use DuQuette's example of the Six of Wands. This card is in the world of Atziluth, hence we'll use the colors attributed to the Knight scale, which in this case is "clear rose." This color appears, I think, as part of the mottled background of the card. However, for the source of the other colors we turn to the key scales of the decans and planetary rulers, appearing in the Major scales. Looking at the scales of Leo, we see the colors that should be present as Yellow (greenish), Deep Purple, Gray and Reddish Amber. These colors, to me, are apparent in the wands themselves, but also remember that the Six of Wands is attributed to Jupiter in Leo. Looking at the key scales for Jupiter we find Violet, Blue, Rich Purple and Bright Blue rayed with Yellow. Looking at the wands and Caduceuses (sp?) we see all those colors there.

While Harris did use the color scales, I doubt she had a fixed rule, but mixed and merged the colors as she saw fit, with some aspects in the cards accentuated with others minimized. Not that she did this arbitrarily, otherwise there would be no point in analysis, but this only highlights the differences between strict Golden Dawn adherence to the rules, and the Thoth which allowed its painter a little more creativity.

If anyone wants to join in the discussion, I recommend downloading the Book of Thoth (the color scales are in Appendix B) as well as Liber 777 (although from the little I did understand of the four color scales, that book complicates things further by referencing Emperor and Empress color scales). I will be basing myself on DuQuette's tables though, which are the same as those found in the Book of Thoth, but clearer and better arranged.

Tomorrow I'll post the Fool and his scales, as well as what I think of them. This long post was just a little more involved than I thought it would be. Also, if you think I missed something (a possibility) tell me, and if I was wrong about anything (a probability) also tell me. Also, here is the Winsor-Newton color chart, used by the Golden dawn which is still being used today:

http://www.winsornewton.com/products/water-colours/artists-water-colour/colour-chart/

ravenest

Although not intentionally Qabalah or Hermetic Qabalah I think the following ideas can easily be related to colour in the four worlds:

Colour Consultant Don Parvey writes about the need to create a colour "Stimulus Gradient".

Highest on the grade (in his 4 level system) are colours of high intensity and luminance, including the most "intensive stimulants" (usefull as Parvey says, "for the lunatic fringe of Op and Psycadelic Art".)

At level 2 are the "rich and powerfull or forcefull colours, strong but not strident".

Third are "hard and stable colours with firm contrast" that "produce no emotional overtones".

And lastly, the "sedative and tranquil colours".

He also attributes these ranges of colours to sound (via voice):
1-scream. 2-command. 3- speaking tone. 4- whisper.

All this seems to fit in with the 4 level Knight, Queen, Prince, Princess and the related colour scales.

Others have looked at colours "insistance" - its attention getting power or impressivness, being a formula associated with tone and intensity (brightness and saturation) eg. Katz, but seem to be at a loss as to how to go about constructing a working table. perhaps we already have one in 777?

Also as an adjunct to the info in the tables, make sure you read the related appendixes to the colour section in the back of 777, v.interesting.

a_gnostic

My head hurts. :confused:

I did obtain a copy of DuQuette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot several days ago, so that should help.

I'm not sure that I'm ready to focus primarily on GD colors but will see how this goes. Thank you for starting this. I think...

ETA: I also received a green box Thoth this week for study purposes. It is so much easier to see this stuff on the larger cards!

ravenest

Another aspect of using colors is the artistic as you pointed out above (regarding Harris's color 'arrangements') sometimes the assumed 'correct magical' application looks downright wrong or garish (this is for a reason I will explain later) and needs adapting.

Its like when one sets up a temple with all the componants correct as 'by the book' but it 'feels' wronng and adjustments must be made. One gets used to it and after a while its instinctual (but not to the extent of going 'off the page' - as Crowley said; strengthen and controll the animal passions or as I read it, the instinctual desires and their resultant psycological drives - I believe AC also wrote somewhere that after a while you can just walk in to the temple and instinctually feel if something is out of place or it is all in harmony . I attest to this, in my own experience.

Lets drag up some of those old color posts (like the one above) and annexure them to this thread.

Zephyros

a_gnostic, I'm sure things will be clearer once gotten into the swing of things. :)

Once you look at the tables, it's like a game of referring to the two main sources of colors (the majors and the minors) and then looking for them on the card. It could add great depth to any reading, a whole new set of connections between the cards.

ravenest, the scales you mentioned sound about right to me, it would be interesting to cross different color theories and see correspondences. Wang's Golden Dawn Tarot for example, probably adheres more to the scales, but can be jarring, as can be the Albano.

I'm not sure I understand, but the post above is new...

Aeon418

The tables in the Book of Thoth show 2 additional rows for the Universe and the Aeon. If anyone knows why this is, I would be happy to know.

The 31st and 32nd paths do double duty. The 31st path is attributed to both Fire and Spirit. While the 32nd path is Saturn and Earth. Each of these attributions needs their own separate set of colours.

31 = Shin-Fire.

32 = Tau-Saturn.

32 bis = Tau-Earth.

31 bis = Shin-Spirit.

Zephyros

Thank you Aeon, I completely forgot about these cards doubling, guess it was information overload.

Aeon418

If anyone wants to join in the discussion, I recommend downloading the Book of Thoth (the color scales are in Appendix B) as well as Liber 777 (although from the little I did understand of the four color scales, that book complicates things further by referencing Emperor and Empress color scales).

Emperor and Empress are just alternate titles for the Prince and Princess. I think it would be a mistake to ignore them just because the titles differ. Yes, I do admit that it is a little bit confusing until you get your head around it. But the big plus is that each of the columns in 777 comes with a set of explanatory notes. (BTW I have no idea if online versions of 777 reproduce the notes.)

777:

Column XV. The King Scale of Colour [Yod] = Thoth Knights and Atziluth.

Column XVI. The Queen Scale of Colour [Heh] = Thoth Queens and Briah.

Column XVII. The Emperor Scale of Colour [Vau] = Thoth Princes and Yetzirah.

Column XVIII. The Empress Scale of Colour [Heh final] = Thoth Princesses and Assiah.

Zephyros

I really didn't know that, I was planning to get familiarized with the four "basic" scales and then go on to what mistakenly perceived as more advanced material, but what you say does clear that up. Any idea why the disparate names?

I did start my post asserting I have no idea what I'm doing, so I do appreciate any help.

Aeon418

Any idea why the disparate names?

I suspect they are a carry-over from the Golden Dawn. Crowley never claimed sole authorship of 777 because a lot of the tables come directly from the work of MacGregor Mathers (possibly supplemented by Crowley's GD mentor, Allen Bennett). Crowley merely carried on with, and expanded on, an existing work in progress.

I did start my post asserting I have no idea what I'm doing, so I do appreciate any help.

That's the reason why I am trying to point you in the direction of Crowley's notes to 777. His comments on the colour scales will be of immense assistance to you in your Colour Study. ;)