Best Loved Tarot Books!!

starfish66

Phoenix -

My first Tarot book was The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot and Fortune Telling! I liked that it was in a workbook/studybook fashion and learned alot from it.

As for 78 Degrees, I've heard that the book goes into both the historic / symbolic history of each card, as well as providing divinitory meanings.

Starfish

Kellinator

Aaaaaahhh.... I always want more tarot books!!

The book I'm using the most right now is Tarot Reversals by Mary Greer. I've been very pleased with it, and I feel a lot more confident about reversals now. I also got a lot of useful information out of A Keeper of Words, the book that accompanies the Legend: Arthurian Tarot.

On my wishlist: Janina Renee's Tarot: Your Everyday Guide, Anthony Lewis' Tarot Plain and Simple, and of course 78 Degrees. Any thoughts on these?

Phoenix

Starfish, that still happens to be one of my most favorite books!!

Houklani

Kellinator- I tried to read "Your Everyday Guide," but I didn't get very far. I admit that most how-to/nonfiction books bore me to death, but I really didn't like the set up in this book either. It's just too much information without relief, if that makes sense to you.

Smiles,
Houklani

Keslynn

78 DW

I highly recommend 78 DW for any beginning tarot reader. It's an insightful and interesting book. Also, I love The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by Mary Greer. Bunning is good too. Power Tarot is excellent for sheer variety of spreads, but I felt that the card explanations were a little strange for dividing card meanings into so many areas.

Jewel

Re: Tarot Made Easy

RedWood said:
I have Tarot Made Easy by Nancy Garen...I don't like it that well...It is confusing because she breaks it down into so many different categories..I would suggest not getting it..That's just me though..

Tarot Made Easy was my first Tarot book, and I concurr with this. I found Tarot Plain and Simple to be much better. If I am not mistaken though, Nancy Green put out a workbook that I got (but have not used yet), that is about studying each card and traveling the proverbial "Royal Road". Basically you pick one card, and keep it as your card of the week, and then you write down your experiences based on the various categories (i.e. like the ones she delineated in the book). This I do find interesting because it is based on your own personal experiences ... think I may just start working in this book since it is only one card a week or so.

Jewel

Kellinator said:
On my wishlist: Janina Renee's Tarot: Your Everyday Guide, Anthony Lewis' Tarot Plain and Simple, and of course 78 Degrees. Any thoughts on these?

Kellinator I currently have Tarot Plain and Simple up for trade or sale if you are interested. I am in the US.

SharonElizabeth

Tarot Made Easy

Thanks to Jewel and Redwood about the input on Tarot Made Easy. I've had a bunch of opportunites to buy this book since I cancelled the order, and just never picked it up. I did flip through it and decided that I wanted something more than just a book of meanings to memorize. So I picked up Tarot for Yourself, and it really changed the way I think about tarot, and especially about remembering the meanings of the cards. The exercises like entering a card really showed me how to read a cards meaning on my own.

Kellinator

Actually I posted in your trade thread to ask about it, Jewel!

Jewel

Re: Tarot Made Easy

SharonElizabeth said:
Thanks to Jewel and Redwood about the input on Tarot Made Easy. I've had a bunch of opportunites to buy this book since I cancelled the order, and just never picked it up. I did flip through it and decided that I wanted something more than just a book of meanings to memorize. So I picked up Tarot for Yourself, and it really changed the way I think about tarot, and especially about remembering the meanings of the cards. The exercises like entering a card really showed me how to read a cards meaning on my own.

I would highly recommend 78 Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack and Tarot Reversals by Mary Greer to use as you work with Tarot for Yourself. Just my 2 pearls worth ;)