Tarot Apps - Good idea?

Fabiannemo

The times they are changing and we must move with them i suppose. But the idea of condensing everything that is the experience of Tarot into a little iphone application makes me sad.

I'm an old soul and perhaps this is a fault, but I wouldn't be able to take a phone application's reading seriously at all, if anything perhaps as a learning tool or a portable tarot journal that let's you keep "snap shots" of your readings to go back to throughout the day or in the future when you think "oh! i think this was predicted."

I think perhaps then i see a practical use to use only to complement a Tarot reading or as a Tarot companion. NEVER as a substitute for a reading or guidance.

ilweran

Fabiannemo said:
The times they are changing and we must move with them i suppose. But the idea of condensing everything that is the experience of Tarot into a little iphone application makes me sad.

I don't think that will happen. I'm sure there will be some people with very little interest in tarot who will download an app as a novelty, but I'd have thought that most tarot readers who buy them will use them as an extra option that can be useful but that will never replace a real deck.

punchinella

ilweran said:
What phone do you have?
Thanks for asking, ilweran--Samsung Highnote. And, sorry for not turning on my computer for almost a week :|

There are tarot applications available for some of the other Samsung phones, but I've been on the site & nothing seems to be available for my particular phone. It is a pretty smart phone, but alas.

Aweel, I guess I'm luddite by default :laugh:

Nicehormones

I downloaded two for my iphone, but I've only used them once each.
I don't think they are as powerful as the real thing, but I believe if the universe wants to send you a message, you can really use anything as a tool.
So I guess they might be handy for a daily reading when you don't have the opportunity to whip out a deck of cards.

ilweran

In case anyone who's interested doesn't know, the Lovers Path Tarot now has an app available on the iTunes store called the Love Tarot. It's very similar to the Goddess Tarot app except that it has the option to have reversals, and there is a lite version available so you can try it out for free :)

Jaydoggy

I may make some people mad but personally I think any type of electronic reading rather than real cards being delt is a problem. I don't think there's any sort of programming that can focus on the subject, they're usually randomly selected, and won't give any insight or link them with other cards if it's a spread.

Long distance readings I think is the limit for an accurate tarot reading.

Another idea though would be an app which could link you to other people so you could search for people who will do a reading for you over the application.

jenna

Thanks for the heads-up on the Love Tarot for the iPhone. I keep hoping for more, as I find it a good way to fit extra study into those out-and-about times when you're stuck waiting. I have the few I found, but am always looking for a new one. For two of the iPhone tarot apps, I bought the physical deck after seeing them on my phone. (For what it's worth, the beautiful TAO Oracle is also an iPhone app, and is very useful for studying on the go.)

ilweran

Jaydoggy said:
I may make some people mad but personally I think any type of electronic reading rather than real cards being delt is a problem.

I wouldn't have thought that would make anyone mad :) I don't see that it's a problem, but I've only used the apps for a one card daily draw and that's mainly a learning exercise.

jenna said:
Thanks for the heads-up on the Love Tarot for the iPhone. I keep hoping for more, as I find it a good way to fit extra study into those out-and-about times when you're stuck waiting. I have the few I found, but am always looking for a new one. For two of the iPhone tarot apps, I bought the physical deck after seeing them on my phone. (For what it's worth, the beautiful TAO Oracle is also an iPhone app, and is very useful for studying on the go.)

I'll check out the TAO Oracle. I mainly like being able to carry a couple of decks round with me without the extra weight of real decks and apps are a LOT more discreet. They're great to use on the train in the morning :D

F.M. Tarot

jenna said:

Thanks for the heads up! :) I have the Madame Endora's cards on my iPhone and I love it for quick readings or just to play with. The images lend themselves perfectly for something like an iPhone being so strongly detailed and bold.

EightWands

thinbuddha said:
I'm still looking for a reasonable iphone app for tarot.

My problems with the existing apps:

Most don't offer my choice of deck. I'd like to be able to upload my own cards to use.

Most try to use the conputer to generate a "reading". Reading is a story telling process. It is a act of creation. A computer just can't do this. Just generate my reading, let me make my own interp, and let me keep a journal of the readings.

Most of the apps out there are for non-readers who want to get a free reading now and then. They are for fun, and don't cater at all to people who actually read their own cards.

-tb

You can. Just make a folder and upload your own tarot images to it and then place that in with your "photos" library and then, when you want to "pull" a random card, put the album on "shuffle". I also do that with any images I have in any of my folders. Makes a great oracle!

Re- iphone apps: I think the Universe communicates with us using any means available to us at the time. So, if you are asking a question and using an iching or tarot app, you will get just as accurate an answer. Therefore I am all for the tarot apps and find them just as helpful to me as any regular deck. :) The only limitation is the screen size, so the apps are good mostly for 1 and 3 card readings.