RWS and Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom

TemperanceAngel

I am just wondering how many people learning with RWS deck, use Racheal Pollacks: Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom as their main source of wisdom, info, divination explanations etc?

Maybe I should of put this in Talking Tarot?

Kaz, you may need to move it, thanks :) XTAX

Mimers

Hi TA,

I didn't use it for my main learning book, but I did purchase it during the beginning of my studies. I used Mary Greer's Tarot for Yourself and Spiritual Tarot by Sandra Thompson, Robert Mueller, and Kigne Echols to learn.

It is an excellent book. What I would consider a must read, but I don't think it is a learning book.

Are you thinking about purchasing it?

Mimi

Phoenyx*

I've used 78 in conjunction with it, but not as my main learning source.

WalesWoman

It's sort of become one of my main learning sources since I bought it. If my budget allowed me, I'm sure I would have many other books in my learning collection like Mary K. Greer and Sandra Brown, but....

HudsonGray

WalesWoman, you can pick up some of those books REALLY cheap over on ebay. They come up so often that you can get some pretty good deals just checking once a week or so to see what's there.

CreativeFire

Hi TemperanceAngel

I have 78 Degrees of Wisdom but have not read it back to back. I use it has a reference when I want to look up further info on different cards or their images. Has come in handy for the 78 Week Study and find it a very good source of info.

CreativeFire

TemperanceAngel

Mimers said:

Are you thinking about purchasing it?
I own it and find it a great reference book. I just wondered but quite often I see people quote its divinatory meanings and although a fantastic book and author, I do find the divinatory meanings questionable at times.

Of course, this is only my opinion, and I am happy to hear people use other books.

Some of my students have purchased it as their first book, and I was a little hesitant about it...

XTAX

Mimers

TemperanceAngel said:
I own it and find it a great reference book. I just wondered but quite often I see people quote its divinatory meanings and although a fantastic book and author, I do find the divinatory meanings questionable at times.

Of course, this is only my opinion, and I am happy to hear people use other books.

Some of my students have purchased it as their first book, and I was a little hesitant about it...

XTAX

TA, what book(s) do you recomend for your students?

TemperanceAngel

Mimers said:
TA, what book(s) do you recomend for your students?
I recommend Tarot For Yourself, Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom (but ask them to try and use it as a reference...), A New Handbook for the Apprentice by Eileen Connolly. Whatever is in our shop at the time and whatever they feel drawn too.

Do you think that's OK, Mimers? I teach them a lot about being guided by their intuition and that books are secondary to their own feelings about a card.

XTAX

Mimers

TemperanceAngel said:
Do you think that's OK, Mimers? I teach them a lot about being guided by their intuition and that books are secondary to their own feelings about a card.

XTAX

Oh, certainly. I actually think it is better that way.

I was just curious if you did that or had the class all purchase the same group. I have a friend that teaches as well, and she has them all buy the Tracy Porter book for her beginner class. Like you say, it is better if they go to what they are drawn to.

Mimi