Book in English! to help with Tarot de Marseille ....

tmgrl2

Same question, jmd....What is title of Tomberg's book?

TY for your post...

I have been reading Simon's book through...I find her discussion of "how Tarot works" also very .....good...it resonates with how I think the Tarot works...so perhaps that is why I like the book so much...I simply enjoy reading about Tarot...I started another thread seeking input from experienced readers asking questions about how they have changed over time...Many refer to books as being sources initially, or....there not being enough literature available and therefore, needing to rely on "intuition."

As a lifelong student, I will probably always want to read and learn about topics of interest to me. That is why I like exploring the literature available that seems to be fairly well researched and written. I simply enjoy reading about the history itself.

terri

punchinella

tmgrl & Shalott, umm, er, forget about the author will you? There's a positively incredible book called Meditations on the Tarot: a Journey into Christian Hermeticism by a writer who prefers to remain anonymous, which I am currently reading & which is blowing my mind. Although biased in some ways, it's pretty close to being one of the most beautiful things I've ever read in my life, right up there with Henry James & Proust (and it's all about tarot, which they're not :D ) It's not exactly a beginner's guide to anything (can you hear the understatement) but it is an incredible experience, in spite of being, well, a bit over the top (of my head, at least :| ) I've decided to read it like poetry, & just let it wash over me . . . I think this approach is reasonable, since it's every bit as gorgeous as poetry--

I would definitely recommend it :)

Shalott

Punchinella, who was the author?

Shalott

Just kidding, I've got Phil Hendrie on and so I'm in a needling mood })

Sounds interesting, I'm off to see if it's at amazon so I can just add it to my ENORMOUS wishlist!

jmd

Punchinella asked above if any of the authors I mentioned specifically refer to Marseille iconography. The answer is both yes and no.

Apart from Maxwell, they each seek to understand, and in their own way, to minutely 'rectify' - or at least bring to light - what may otherwise be considered to remain hidden within the imagery. Hence the development of, for example, Wirth's own deck.

Valentin Tomberg has written a number of works - each very good indeed - but for our purposes, the one which stands out is the one mentioned by punchinella, which I also review here.

...and of course I look forward to obtaining a copy of tmgrl2's recommendation, ie, Silvie Simon's The Tarot: Art, Mysticism, and Divination.

tmgrl2

Thanks, jmd and punchinella....

I just ordered the book you both referred to...got it at Amazon for less than $20...yeah!

Simon's book is a very "easy" read..but very good for me right now.

I also just discovered that Kris Hadar's courses on his website are "free" and in English now...can be a passive or active member.

Just another resource..

terri

firemaiden

For those of you who are still looking for ...

--the name of the author of the "positively incredible book called Meditations on the Tarot: a Journey into Christian Hermeticism by a writer who prefers to remain anonymous,"

and those of you who are still looking for ..

- the "title of Tomberg's book"

if anyone still not has put two and two together (snicker, snicker)- even after reading jmd's very polite, but understated post, I just thought I'd mention that Valentin Tomberg IS that "writer who prefers to remain anonymous" and you are all talking about the same book. :D :D :p

tmgrl2

Oh my...goodness.....

Thank you, ((((firemaiden))))

and

Thank you, (((jmd)))

terri

this little "tidbit"

has made my day.....

tmgrl2

jmd said:

Valentin Tomberg has written a number of works - each very good indeed - but for our purposes, the one which stands out is the one mentioned by punchinella, which I also review here

TY for the website....It has a folder of its own...I await the book...Simon's may be "minor" in comparison...

terri

Shalott

Thanks firemaiden...I only just realized that tmgrl's "TY" meant "Thank you." Sad...see why I like "The Complete Idiot's Guide" so much? Talk to me like I'm 4 and we'll be fine...

:|