how do these books compare? (by Greer, Bunning, & Warwick-Smith)

morandia

how do these books compare?

The complete book of tarot reversals by Mary K Greer

and

Learning Tarot Reversals by Joan Bunning

Also,

Understanding the Tarot Court y Mary K. Greer

and

The Tarot Court Cards by Kate Warwick-Smith

Which of these books is "better" in each set and why?

Rhiannon

Ok, well I can't recommned Tarot Reversals by Greer highly enough. I can say that I think it's one of the only books you'll ever need. There is just so much great information in there, I find myself going back to it again and again and it's always within easy reach of my decks.

Haven't read the Joan Bunning book.

I have both of the Court Card books and I tried to get through the Warwick-Smith one, but discovered that it's not what I thought it was going to be. It's a new "system" written by the author, not an explanation or exercises or anything, at least not that I've found yet. It relies heavily on the Kabbalah.

The one by Greer and Little I haven't gotten too far into, since I just got it 2 days ago, but so far I like what I've read. Apparently there are some sort of role-playing games in the back of the book, suggestions on ways to "meet" the characters in the cards, as well as the traditional meanings.

Is any one of them better than the other? I don't know, but I always like books by Greer, so I'm biased in that direction.

R :)

Kissa

Re: how do these books compare?

Hi morandia,

The complete book of tarot reversals by Mary K Greer[/QUOTE]

Brilliant. Not at all the same kind of crap oops I mean "mixed salad of cheap esoterism" Mary K. Greer served in her legendary bestseller TFY. You would swear the books are not from the same author! Not only about reversals, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Learning Tarot Reversals by Joan Bunning

Easy, clear, very supportive and user friendly. Gives you good basis and confidence in yourself as a tarot reader. And it's a good reference book as well for later on in your tarot journey. Joan has a very sensible and direct approach to the cards.

Understanding the Tarot Court y Mary K. Greer

Hummmm... I'm reading this one, well I was until I gave it a break. I don't know what deck to use to do the exercises so I'm on break for now. I think it is a good book though.

The Tarot Court Cards by Kate Warwick-Smith

sorry, don't have that one, cannot help.

What deck are you using? If you have the Robin Wood, I'd highly recommend the companion book, it is definitely a very good general tarot book.

Which of these books is "better" in each set and why?

The best of all for a beginner is Joan's book, right behind comes Tarot Reversals, very very close behind ...

Hey, what about our very own Thirteen's basics as an e-book? For $5 you can print it and the money goes to support this forum! Check it out: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/ebook.shtml

Kissa

WooMonkey

My general impression is that the Bunning and Warwick-Smith books present specific systems for looking at reversals and the court cards.
The Greer books are more general, and can be used in whatever system you already use. (Although I haven't finished the one on the court cards yet)

I prefer the Greer books, but it really depends on what you're looking for.

:)

Aerin

I like the Greer books because, as WooMonkey says, they offer several different ways of reading instead of one specific system. For me this means that I can make more informed decisions about how I read rather than having to fit in with one system.

I am only about 20% of the way through the court cards book.

I found the online Bunning course very useful when I was starting: I also used the Barnes and Noble freebie course based on Joan Bunning's book.

Aerin