Songs for the Journey Home - deck back in print

Aunty Anthea

I would like to take a good look at the cards themselves but the link was to a large photo but no close-up views of the cards themselves :(

The Happy Squirrel

I would like to take a good look at the cards themselves but the link was to a large photo but no close-up views of the cards themselves :(

I found googling the title and then chose pictures section of search results helps :)

AJ

there are quite a few images of the large deck on my blog, I use it when I particularly need comfort.

Catherine would be the one with the last say, but I get the impression the images are more a outgrowth of the time they spent in an Oregon ashram.
But then I never thought about a Miori link :)

Aeric

Beautiful cards!

I just love the 10-Flame Song about unfinished projects. It never occurred to me to associate RWS' 10 of Wands with that kind of burden. And she's projecting her own frustration with designing the deck itself! That's really clever.

The baby nestled in the seashell for Wave Innocence is wonderful. This really feels like a great elemental deck, one that embodies the four elements very well.

I really look forward to receiving this deck.

The Happy Squirrel

I think I will get the mini as well :)

The Happy Squirrel

I just received my pre-owned deck and book from an lovely AT-er. The deck is still wrapped so I won't open it just yet. But I just want to say something about the book. This book is the 1997 edition and I think the first edition. The deck is 1st ed for sure. Anyway, the book. I appreciate physically good and well designed books (and other things too). This is one of them. The feel of the cover, the texture, matted and soft like velvet, goes together well with the colours and art work the publisher had picked for its front cover. All and all a very well made and designed book. I wonder if the more recent books are still the same in hand feel? Sorry to be so frivolous. But I feel that in an art which relies heavily on our senses, these sorts of sensations are important to appreciate :) In fact I am surprised that it isn't more appreciated, come to books in this area :)

Aeric

I received the mini Songs and book last week and have been moving slowly through it. I've really come to love round decks, and here's another I adore.

Contrary to what I first wondered whether it uses Goddess spirituality, it doesn't. Nor is it a deck exploring Maori spirituality in New Zealand. In fact there are relatively few deities in this deck to speak of. Songs feels very humanist, outlining the various life experiences that people go through.

It's an extremely emotional deck, and visualizes emotional experiences in abstract forms and symbols, with both people and animals as their subjects. The 10 of Wave Songs with the family of swans' heads together is so wonderful. The 2 of Flame Songs, with two people appreciating the same experience in different ways, is so thrilling. This is a deck for artists, poets, counselors, people who draw on and work with emotions.

As I was reading with it, I felt feelings welling up from my stomach that I wanted to release: pain, frustration, joy, confidence, empowerment. Not just because the cards read well, but they influence an outpouring of feelings in an entirely human context, without the involvement of gods or spirits. It encourages people to explore the human side of their spirituality and how they shape it themselves.

When I finished my first reading, I put on some favourite uplifting music and just danced hard and lip synced for about 15 minutes until I was exhausted and fell into a nap. It felt like a ritual and an explosion of energy that left me tired but deliriously happy.

Two thumbs up for this treasure. I expect it will become one of my favourites.

AJ

This book is the 1997 edition and I think the first edition. The deck is 1st ed for sure. Anyway, the book.

1st edition 1993
2nd edition 1996 according to the
mini edition packed with the small deck 2005

The Happy Squirrel

I received the mini Songs and book last week and have been moving slowly through it. I've really come to love round decks, and here's another I adore.

Contrary to what I first wondered whether it uses Goddess spirituality, it doesn't. Nor is it a deck exploring Maori spirituality in New Zealand. In fact there are relatively few deities in this deck to speak of. Songs feels very humanist, outlining the various life experiences that people go through.

It's an extremely emotional deck, and visualizes emotional experiences in abstract forms and symbols, with both people and animals as their subjects. The 10 of Wave Songs with the family of swans' heads together is so wonderful. The 2 of Flame Songs, with two people appreciating the same experience in different ways, is so thrilling. This is a deck for artists, poets, counselors, people who draw on and work with emotions.

As I was reading with it, I felt feelings welling up from my stomach that I wanted to release: pain, frustration, joy, confidence, empowerment. Not just because the cards read well, but they influence an outpouring of feelings in an entirely human context, without the involvement of gods or spirits. It encourages people to explore the human side of their spirituality and how they shape it themselves.

When I finished my first reading, I put on some favourite uplifting music and just danced hard and lip synced for about 15 minutes until I was exhausted and fell into a nap. It felt like a ritual and an explosion of energy that left me tired but deliriously happy.

Two thumbs up for this treasure. I expect it will become one of my favourites.

That's one of the loveliest quick review Aeric!
As the mini deck is a redrawn of the large one with more vibrant colours, I wanted to get that too, but wasn't sure. Your review here just made up my mind for me! Humanist, emotions, life experience. Definitely a deck for me!