Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews          Free Tarot Readings           What's New           Tarot Card Meanings

New edition of The Tarot of Prague for 2016!

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Citizen

mydearruby 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaintlyMacabre View Post
I can remember when they were here on Aeclectic making the first Tarot of Prague. I suppose we have all changed.

Diana
Sigh. I wish they could hire someone to handle the business separately, so that their creativity and artistic passion won't be tested or drained by the unknown water of the mass market.
Top   #471
Citizen

rylla 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudence View Post
Like I said in my last post, I hope I'm misinterpreting the message, but the way I read it, they might want to restrict their customer lists to include only those customers who do not complain about the products or customer service. I seriously hope I am wrong and it is meant some other way entirely.
I hope that I am misinterpreting it too, but as I read your post, sadly I think you are right!

ETA let me add that no one would complain about their products or customer service without a reason. Everyone is happy to receive a flawless product. And yes, I do expect it to be flawless. Right now I live in a country where the medium salary is estimated to 357,32€ (wikipedia). For more than one-third of a medium salary I do expect to get a flawless product (it's natural that other people from other countries see it differently, I'm just saying how I see it here - for some this is a lot of money). I don't expect it to be beautiful (in a sense that a producer can't satisfy everyone's taste, when I choose to buy a deck because I like it and when I get it turns out that I don't like it - that's totally on me, they are not responsible for me liking it or not - I choose to order it). But I do expect a flawless product as I have received so many from Amazon, self-publishers, etc, for a fraction of this price. Just to be understood correctly I am not complaining about the price of LE. The size of the cards, printing, stamping all add to the production cost. I get that. I just wish to get a product in 'one piece' (or for a less hostile customer service if there is a problem to fix).
Top   #472
Resident

MaeWasteland 

I must say I'm a bit bemused at the apparent suggestion that it's bad that 'collectors' might be buying the deck - if you do a super-pricey limited edition version of something, who exactly do you suppose will be buying it? And, well, yeah, if the box is so 'not the point' and 'well surely you'll be wrapping the deck in the scarf, not keeping the box' and whatnot, why even bother to have a nice box, just have a simple cardboard tuck box? Heck, I've got cheapo mass market decks (Enchanted Map oracle, Celtic Lenormand) with awesome boxes that fit and protect the cards very well.

(Aside: I do wish that decks which come with a full size guide book didn't insist on trying to have the book fit inside the box, I adore the Tarot Illuminati box but the insert thing that's meant to hold the deck isn't *quite* deep enough so there's always a few cards slipping around behind the book, and my Brian Froud oracle deck's box is externally flimsy but has a nice sturdy insert thing, except the bit inside the insert which, again, is meant to hold the cards behind the book, is flimsy and falling to bits, rather like the photos I've seen of the ToP's box insert. I really wish they had a sturdy little box like the EM and CL, and the book and box were, I don't know, just shrinkwrapped together?)

Anyway, this has been a fascinating thread, I actually read the whole thing (and lost it at the bottom of p27, I think it was...) Slow night last night. I'm not honestly sure what I think of the deck, a lot of the artwork is gorgeous, but some of the more, uh... collage-y cards (the Sun, for instance) I'm... yeah, not sure what to make of them. Not that I'm likely to be splashing out 68 plus p&p on a deck, so it's probably as well I'm not madly in love with it!
Top   #473
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 

Now, I LIKE having the book in the box - it means I don't have to go find it when I have the deck out. In the days of the vile old collapsing Llewellyn boxes I would have preferred not; I'd have preferred anything that made the totally unwrapped deck not all fall over the place and meant you had to add a bag, which didn't quite fit in the box, and... and... - but now that they have their box issues sorted - I LIKE that ! I like the Lo Scarabeo ones with books in boxes, too - I can live with a couple of cards sliding around - they aren't at risk at all, as the Llewellyn ones were.

(Signed - a collector who couldn't actually spring for the LE, but my regular is lovely.)
Top   #474
Citizen

Le Fanu 

(a) Baba Customer service has always been excellent

(b) just how much anonymous internet abuse is someone expected to put up with before they lose their rag and snap and then get accused of being poor in their customer service?

(c) god knows if I were them I too would only sell to people who were familiar to me. They would have nothing to lose cutting out these "out-of-the-woodwork" collectors who may be hoping to sell it for a nice profit in a few years and now think they can't because of a torn box.

(d) If I loved a deck and it came with a torn box, I wouldn't be expecting a refund - I'd be too busy loving my deck. If I didn't love a deck and it came with a torn box, I might think my luck was in r.e. returns. Either way, if I loved a deck I would ...er... love the deck.

(e) If I were them, I certainly wouldn't come here and try to justify and explain things - because nothing would ever be right.

(f) How nice it must be for some people who have always been envious of Baba Studios and thei beautiful products and can now dance around this (and anonymously to boot) like Witches on the Sabbat.
Top   #475
Citizen

MissChiff 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fanu View Post
(a) Baba Customer service has always been excellent

(b) just how much anonymous internet abuse is someone expected to put up with before they lose their rag and snap and then get accused of being poor in their customer service?

(c) god knows if I were them I too would only sell to people who were familiar to me. They would have nothing to lose cutting out these "out-of-the-woodwork" collectors who may be hoping to sell it for a nice profit in a few years and now think they can't because of a torn box.

(d) If I loved a deck and it came with a torn box, I wouldn't be expecting a refund - I'd be too busy loving my deck. If I didn't love a deck and it came with a torn box, I might think my luck was in r.e. returns. Either way, if I loved a deck I would ...er... love the deck.

(e) If I were them, I certainly wouldn't come here and try to justify and explain things - because nothing would ever be right.

(f) How nice it must be for some people who have always been envious of Baba Studios and thei beautiful products and can now dance around this (and anonymously to boot) like Witches on the Sabbat.
WoW! This ....i love how you say things....
Top   #476
Citizen

Linfang 

I wanted to stay out of this discussion of Baba's (IMHO excellent) service and the things going on on FB and hope this thread would go back to discussing the deck itself.

I break my promise by wholeheartedly thanking Le Fanu for putting my opinion into words.
Top   #477
Resident

MaeWasteland 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Now, I LIKE having the book in the box - it means I don't have to go find it when I have the deck out. In the days of the vile old collapsing Llewellyn boxes I would have preferred not; I'd have preferred anything that made the totally unwrapped deck not all fall over the place and meant you had to add a bag, which didn't quite fit in the box, and... and... - but now that they have their box issues sorted - I LIKE that ! I like the Lo Scarabeo ones with books in boxes, too - I can live with a couple of cards sliding around - they aren't at risk at all, as the Llewellyn ones were.

(Signed - a collector who couldn't actually spring for the LE, but my regular is lovely.)
Perhaps I've just been unlucky with the books-in-boxes I've had, then! Personally, my ideal would be to have the books together on a shelf and then a... well, 'pile' sounds a bit inelegant, but a stack perhaps of nice, sturdy, attractive boxes with the actual decks in, I think. I'd then be able to take the box/deck around with me, and bring the book separately. As it is, I'm wondering if I should buy a bag for my Tarot Illuminati (or learn to crochet, as I'm not overly fond of the one oracle deck bag I knitted) so I can take it around without having to deal with a gorgeous box the size of a house brick! Anyway, this is probably getting off topic, so I shall bow out here!
Top   #478
Citizen

FaintlyMacabre 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaeWasteland View Post
Perhaps I've just been unlucky with the books-in-boxes I've had, then! Personally, my ideal would be to have the books together on a shelf and then a... well, 'pile' sounds a bit inelegant, but a stack perhaps of nice, sturdy, attractive boxes with the actual decks in, I think. I'd then be able to take the box/deck around with me, and bring the book separately. As it is, I'm wondering if I should buy a bag for my Tarot Illuminati (or learn to crochet, as I'm not overly fond of the one oracle deck bag I knitted) so I can take it around without having to deal with a gorgeous box the size of a house brick! Anyway, this is probably getting off topic, so I shall bow out here!
Perhaps we are all different. I like a box that is separate for my cards too. Okay pile is what it is There are "box generators" if you are so inclined to make them and I have.

I have never had to do it for a really big heavy deck though. There is a thread on making bags, etc.

Diana
Top   #479
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 

I'd always run with a bag rather than MAKING a box. Dollarstore bags are dirt cheap and serve very well. They are also "minimal" and take almost no space. You'd have to use something for any deck that came in a "kit" so when you want to take the deck for walkies, you can just take it in whatever option you chose and leave the book at home.

I have made bags in my time. Doesn't work out any cheaper than $1.25 CDN in my favourite dollar store, so I don't do it any more !
Top   #480

Tarot Cards & Reviews          Free Tarot Readings           What's New           Tarot Card Meanings
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2020 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.