Le Bateleur - how may it be read?

jmd

Some of the symbology and iconography is already discussed for most cards in other threads...

I thought it may also be useful and begin a new study on the 78 cards as to how each may be read in the context of a reading. Of course, and personally, in the specific situation at hand, a tiny aspect may arise as principal mantic source.

I thought too that it may be useful to proceed by one Atouts, followed by one pip, then a court, and then another pip.

...but rather than talking about it, let's begin!

The Bateleur may often show that mastery over the tools, going to basics, studying, and engaging in learning may be what is either needed, called for, ...or even avoided.

It may depict a very masculine way of breaking things apart in order to see how it works... and then also be unable to put it back together. Learning how an ant works cannot simply be done by looking at its 'parts', but rather by understanding which comes, it seems, later than the Bateleur is at.

He may indeed give the illusion that he understands, but manipulating the situation, the elements, the tools, shows that he has possibly reached a practical knowledge of his environment: to switch a light on does not imply that he understands the workings of electricity.

Shalott

I also see him as master over his material realm, master of manipulating the material realm, like a shell game operator. He hasn't yet entered the spiritual realm. Would see it as somebody who is good and happy at their job, good at manipulating circumstance, by physical means, to get what they want, yet I've always felt an innocence about him, he's not out to use or hurt people, but he's an entertainer and one could argue that entertainers, while the intent is to make people happy, are WAY overpaid, especially since they tend to have more fun at their jobs than your average office slave, so in that way they're doubly conpensated. And Le Bateleur won't turn that compensation down any sooner than most anyone else.

Rosanne

Stitching in a meaning

Happy Boxing day. Although Le Bateleur represents self awaremness, I also get from this card an indecision, this wand or that pentacle? And a look that makes it incumbent on the reader to make a choice. On the lighter side I feel like he has just jumped behind the table when the real Master hopped away for a break, and he is showing off to his mates in a mimicing kind of way.

Fulgour

jmd said:
...but rather than talking about it, let's begin!
I think it would be helpful if we had a definition of the
word bateleur. What exactly does Le Bateleur mean?

Ross G Caldwell

Fulgour said:
I think it would be helpful if we had a definition of the
word bateleur. What exactly does Le Bateleur mean?

Petit Robert gives a good definition "Bateleur, euse - noun, attested since the 13th century; perhaps from the old french baastel 'tool and trick of the conjurer'. [obsolete or archaic] A person who performs acrobatics, juggling, conjuring, and feats of strength in public places and at fairs".

A related verb is bateler, known from the 16th century, perhaps from old French baastel 'conjurer's tool', meaning to perform magic and sleight-of-hand tricks.

Thus, a bateleur is an entertainer, particularly a magician or acrobat.

You can see one in the "Children of the planets" series, where he has behind him a large poster showing acrobatics tricks (2nd row, far left image)-

http://www.angelfire.com/space/tarot/bagatella.html

Ross G Caldwell

Thanks Jean-Michel,

Here's one of those posts with Diana's definition and one of mine too -

jmd said:
The thread on various titles may indeed be useful:

Originally posted by Diana
bateleur, euse n. (anc. fr. baastel « tour d'escamoteur »). Vx. Personne qui se livre à des tours d'adresse ou de force en plein air.

Translation: (from the old French word "baastel" which means a conjurer's trick.) Old French: Someone who performs skillful tricks or feats of skill outdoors.

In line with the dictionary definition given above by Diana, note the acrobatic feats of this Bateleur, http://www.angelfire.com/space/tarot/bateleur.html
depicted on a poster behind him.

This is from the "Master of the Medieval Hausbuch" Children of Luna page.

Ross

spoonbender

What exactly does Le Bateleur mean?

From the Dictionnaire de L'Académie Française, 4th Edition (1762):
  • BATELEUR, EUSE. s. Faiseur de tours de passe-passe. Ce Bateleur est bien adroit, bien subtil. On appelle aussi de cette sorte, Ceux qui montent sur le Théatre dans les places publiques, comme les Charlatans, les Danseurs de corde, les Joueurs de farce. Il s'amuse à regarder les Bateleurs. On dit d'un homme qui s'amuse à faire de petits tours de souplesse, qu'Il fait le Bateleur.
  • BATELEUR, EUSE. One who does magic/conjurer tricks. This Bateleur is very skilful, very subtle. People who join the Theatre in public places, like the Charlatans, the Cord dansers, the Jokers, are also called that way. He enjoys watching the Bateleurs. It is said of a man who enjoys doing little suppleness movements (perhaps this points to something acrobatic?) that He does the Bateleur.

From the Dictionaire critique de la langue française (Marseille, Mossy 1787-1788):
  • BATELEUR, s. m. Faiseur de tours de passe-passe. On dit, d'un homme qui s'amuse à faire de petits tours de souplesse, qu'il fait le bateleur. Acad. - On le dit aussi d'un mauvais plaisant, qui cherche à faire rire les sociétés où il se trouve. On apèle batelage, le métier ou le tour du Bateleur.
  • BATELEUR (singular, masculin). One who does magic/conjurer tricks. It is said of a man who enjoys doing little suppleness movements (?) that he does the Bateleur. Acad. - It is also said of someone who makes poor/silly jokes, who tries to make the societies where he's at laugh. People call batelage the profession or tricks of the Bateleur.

Spoon

Rosanne

Conjurer?

I have always thought a Bateleur was a cobbler or shoemaker. Some of the tools on the table I had thought indicated that trade. But Dice?. I guess Conjurer is more pertinent. Regards Rosanne

Moonbow

I have at times seen Le Bateleur as a Trader, Showman or part of a travelling Medicine Show. But to me, his trade is not as important as his personality. I see him as a 'doer', someone who will go and get what he wants and try his hand to most things. He makes things happen because he doesn't sit back a wait for them to come to him. He is sure of himself, confident and even a little cocky. He is a risk taker, and a show off but all in the line of getting to where he wants to be. He will learn what he needs to know and use whatever means available to him to progress. But he's not ruthless so much as enthusiastic.

In todays society he would be called an Entrepreneur.