As de Coupes - how may it be read?

jmd

This Ace is not only quite elaborate, it calls to mind the promised New Jerusalem of the world to come.

In a reading, it seems to me that what may be of significance may be that an enormous resource is available - but as yet untapped... also, like Love, instead of diminishing by usage, it seems that the opposite is indicated: the more one imbues oneself with its offering, the more becomes available.

Attached it the Ace of Cups from the Parisien anonymous deck... certainly brings the Lamb of God to the fore!

Attachments

• Parisien As C.jpg
    Parisien As C.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 238

firemaiden

Wow! What a different image! Is that truly supposed to be a lamb? What a wonderful counterpart to the usual cup-thing. The lamb of god, eh? I love your notes on this card - a resource like love, which only grows all the more when given away. What else is like that, besides love? (assuredly not material things!) Lets see, there is joy. The breath of life, perhaps? In singing the paradoxical thing is, the more generously one gives of air to the tone, the more air one seems to have... divine inspiration?

Major Tom

Looks more like a hart to me. ;)

For some reason, it reminds me of pub names. The White Hart is common in East Anglia. The Lamb and Flag is common in Cornwall. Maybe it's because pubs certainly offer their patrons a cup. :laugh:

Christian spiritualists speak of Christ's unconditional love, a bottomless cup indeed.

Fulgour

"Water"

Coupes signify intuition and emotion ~ attributes which
balance perfectly with those of the other 3 elements...
There is a necessary point where the elements must be
addressed in the Tarot, since they are at its very core.

The As de Coupe is a wonderful card to get in a reading,
and should definitely be seen as betokening good things.
Looking at just Water, and not how it blends and shapes
together with Earth, Air, and Fire may overlook this idea.

tmgrl2

As de Coupes....similar to Le Bateleur in that it is a One....

However, I clearly see this One as the fusion with the spirit, the necessity for love, for the light of the soul to be held forth as we embark on a new endeavor.

It is a card of great optimism, enthusiasm, purity of heart.
It is philanthropic in nature.

I agree with firemaiden.

I see this Cup at the one that never empties when the holder is busy giving of her/himself.

It reminds me of the concept of "flow."

When we engage our spirit and our emotions so totally in any activity, we become one with eternity. There is no time...only a merging with the universe in an intrinsically enjoyable activity...one in which we lose our sense of self-consciousness.

I love the largeness of the As de Coupes in many of the decks. It's as if it is saying:

Here is it is: LOVE!

terri

Moonbow

I read this card as pure love, the sort of love where nothing else matters or is noticed, where as soon as you are awake in the morning you feel it and it flows through you and becomes part of you. Everything else is on the surface, but this love is deep and permanent and cannot be diluted. Overflowing happiness which replenishes itself. It's deep rooted and essential.

Sophie

I see a city, the city of God, or a city of love - a reminder to the sitter to engage fully with the city if she is to initiate a labour of love. That love does not exist alone, in isolation, or if it is held selfishly to oneself, but must be poured out and shared with our families, our friends, our communities, the world. The singing spirit cannot be contained, nor works of art lie in dusty drawers.

So to a sitter - let your spirit and emotions move out - share even as you focus.

I like the idea of flow - absolutely. For what flows out from us will be returned to us.

maks

To me, this card looks like a baptismal font with the ornate cover representing the kingdom of heaven. It represents blessings on spiritual endeavors. Just as godparents pledge their support and guidance to the baby, so too does this card offer the same. It is a promise of love, peace, and happiness.

As with TMGRL2, this cup is always full, always there to replenish.

Knight of Wands

I kind of had this idea of the Ace de Coupes before TdM, but seeing this card really empathises the meaning for me.

I have a quite different thought of the Ace de Coupes. The way it is so ornate and decorated, but also alone suggests lonliness. Also it is overflowing with water.

I see this as the card of someone who is overly emotional, a person close to breaking all the time, one slight thing can set them off the edge. They may be depressed and feeling alone.

Also, the way it is so decorated suggests to me that this person places their emotions paramount, and that their emotions are the most important. They can struggle to think of others in relationships.

Also, the way there are towers on top of the cup can suggest that this person trues to protect their heart a lot, there is no entry to the cup we can see. They block the road to their emotions, hence this cup is alone.

Little Baron

Knight of Wands said:
I have a quite different thought of the Ace de Coupes. The way it is so ornate and decorated, but also alone suggests lonliness. Also it is overflowing with water.

I see this as the card of someone who is overly emotional, a person close to breaking all the time, one slight thing can set them off the edge. They may be depressed and feeling alone.

It is interesting you should say this because initially, I always saw an 'ace' as a new start and maybe an offer or token of love. Which I suppose, at times, it can be. But a couple of weeks ago, I drew it as a daily card and personally, felt very emotional. I wondered if it actually symbolised 'emotion' in it's purest form - welling up of tears, feeling lonely, as you say. I couldn't understand why it might have made that kind of impact on my day until the afternoon. At work, I got a phonecall to tell me that a friend had commited suicide. My eyes imediately began to well up as I took the call and later on, still feeling very upset, I thought about the 'Ace of Cups'. So I very much understand what you mean KoW.

LB