Songs for the Journey Home - The Magician

cSpaceDiva

I am going to start this thread by acknowledging that this deck is often criticized for its artwork, that it is somewhat amateurish. I will admit that it sometimes takes quite a bit of staring at a card before I know what I'm looking at. The Magician is a perfect example. I could plainly see that he was sewing the world back together, but what is that he is kneeling on and laying the Earth on? A blanket or cushion? It sort of looks like wings. But since we are in a garden, I guess it must be dirt and there is a double meaning here about sewing and sowing (as in reap what you sow). After reading the book I see that it is supposed to look like wings. The idea of it being a blanket or cushion reinforces the care and gentleness he shows for the Earth. If the picture was less ambiguous, it would also be less expressive. So to anyone who wants to criticize this deck, I say :p
})
There are also two trees in the background, one with red flowers, one with white, and in the middle they merge together. It reminds of a relationship quiz I was reading where you had to pick a certain number of flowers, red or white, or a combination. One represented what you give in a relationship, the other what you expect to get. The intertwining of the flowers of these two trees suggests to me (again) that what you give and what you get are the same.

I see the traditional aspects of power or control in the Magician manifested here as a healer.
:TMAGE