Valet d'Epées - how may it be read?

jmd

This Valet seems very much his (or her) own person, and suave, with possibly an air of capriciousness about them.

Probably quite eloquent, yet there's something that gives the appearance of more front than substance.

In a reading, it may at times indicate a hesitation to action, and that further details and looking into the situation with more engagement is called for: not a decision, not a throwing of oneself into the act, but a stand-back approach to see what is really being done.

I have attached a Grimaud-type version of my own shading...

Attachments

• Grimaud type V E.jpg
    Grimaud type V E.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 220

tmgrl2

This is one of my favorite cards.

Perhaps because it kept appearing in readings done for me when I first started with the Tarot last year.

I see the Valet d'Espees as the "apprentice."

This is a wise, but not necessarily young figure, who is learning by doing, who may at times, speak before thinking, but who is eager to learn and explore.

In the Hadar the figure holds a red baton in the active right hand as though channeling all of this intellectual activity (the yellow sword pointing with the left hand toward the hat/head...infinity symbol again....filled with ideas).

The Camoin's figure has a light blue sword which I think of, again as, communication/spiritual..and rod is yellow which makes me think here of the intellectual being channeled and gruonded.

Curiosity.

Eccentricity.

Fearless and bold, but perhaps too much so...the youthfulness suggesting someone who may be a bit too outspoken at times, or say something that could hurt and realize too late that words can be "weapons."

terri

Moonbow

Of all the Valets, this one is far more smartly dressed, he likes to 'look' the part, I see him as bright and confident but perhaps a little too wrapped up in himself. He reminds me of some of todays teens... selfish in someways, as he is very interested in his own furtherance and appearance. But he also has the attitude and intelligence to be successful, what holds him back is immaturity and at times the need to rely on others for help. Is it a baton? I see it as his scabbard, which shows me that he has drawn his sword, and why? Perhaps he is anxious to prove himself, to make a name for himself.

I would read this card, in it's individual state, as relating to youthful exuberance, perhaps a suggestion to throw yourself into something without too much thinking. The other side of this could be a warning not to be to hasty, but this would depend very much on other cards in the spread. There is a kind of envious quality about this Valet... too much thinking and worrying can stop us from taking risks and as we mature, risk taking is far more difficult a step to take. But this Valet will make a point of 'learning' as he goes.

firemaiden

Oh yes, Moonbow, you are right! he is smartly dressed, dapper even; what a charming little red dress. And what is that thing under it, a cod-piece? He has also the least lumpy legs, and the most graceful, almost balletic stance. The way he holds his sword, I have a feeling he is going to swing it around at any moment with a deft twist of the wrist. He bears the ermine cloak, does he aspire to be king?

jmd says more front than substance, do you think he might be a bit of a dandy?