New: Yes ~ No ~ Why

JSNYC

t.town.troy said:
"Is this spread (yes~no~why) one for me to use?"
yes position: ace of swords
no position: four of swords
why position: eight of swords

I'm not 100% sure if this is a good answer. Weak yes, need rest, feeling confined. I used the Dark Grimoire deck, late last night, if that might have any bearing on the reading.
Yes, the deck you use can certainly make a difference. But the amount difference varies from reader to reader, sometimes it is a lot, sometimes only a little.

So to interpret your spread: the answer is a weak and conflicted yes. If you just don't feel comfortable with the spread, if you feel confined by it, if you feel like you are fighting with it, or if it doesn't generate answers for you, then the answer changes to no.

LadyKathryn

ok so i'm trying to figure this out.

i asked my question.. will H come back to me in this time of pisces.

only the Ace of Pents showed up in the yes postion.

so in the no position i had the 8 of swords... and in the 3rd position i had Justice.

so is this a yes???

i'm not sure how i'm supposed to interpret the other two cards that are in positions 1 and 3...

t.town.troy

JSNYC said:
Yes, the deck you use can certainly make a difference. But the amount difference varies from reader to reader, sometimes it is a lot, sometimes only a little.

So to interpret your spread: the answer is a weak and conflicted yes. If you just don't feel comfortable with the spread, if you feel confined by it, if you feel like you are fighting with it, or if it doesn't generate answers for you, then the answer changes to no.
That makes sense. I haven't really tried yes-no questions before and usually use more cards, so that might explain not being comfortable and feeling confined.
I'm still uncertain about the four of swords; could it be "try again later"?

I like the spread, it seems very "old" or "traditional" to me.

olivia1

I'm sharing this because I'm sure others will want to know this.

JSNYC, please correct me if I am wrong but from what you explained to me via PM, if you have an emotional investment at all in the outcome then this might not work for you? Or if the situation is at all complex..even if all you are asking and seeking for is a simple yes or no? So that would leave out "will I reconcile with my mother, husband, ect?", "will my friend call me?", "will i get this job", or another one that I am super interested in "will the lady at the book store ever find my deck" kind of questions, wouldn't it? Because those are kind of questions I'm sure a few of us on here would like simple answers to but since some of us might care greatly about whether or not we ever speak to mother or get the job then the answer we would get (from your explanation) would be invalid

However, I am still lost. in the PM you said that such questions wouldn't work if one had an emotional investment in the answer...did you mean *any* at all or just a great deal? And you said it would not work if one even so much as even "thinks" they kind of know the answer even if they really dont *know* the answer and are open to hearing it. If that is the case then what kind of question does this spread work for? Because it seems that not even the most mundane ones like where a sitter wanting to know if it "will indeed rain tomorrow" if they even suspect the answer one way or the other will work for this spread. So, once again, I am sure I misunderstood what you are trying to say...

ETA: and sorry if I sound like I'm being overly critical. I'm just a bit sad because I had so many yes/no questions I was dying to ask this spread

JSNYC

LadyKathryn said:
ok so i'm trying to figure this out.

i asked my question.. will H come back to me in this time of pisces.

only the Ace of Pents showed up in the yes postion.

so in the no position i had the 8 of swords... and in the 3rd position i had Justice.

so is this a yes???

i'm not sure how i'm supposed to interpret the other two cards that are in positions 1 and 3...
The Ace of Pentacles indicates a definite yes. My impression is that the 8 of Swords indicates that a no answer... would cause problems, and that ultimately, what will happen is what is supposed to happen based on the situation as it exists and past actions. But the Ace of Pentacles is a definite yes.

I consider the 2nd and 3rd cards to be really subordinate to the answer. The card in position 1 tells you about the opposite answer, why that answer wasn't chosen or why that is the wrong answer. And the card in position 3 tells you what could change the answer, either what you could do to change the answer or what could happen to change the answer.

Whether the answer is serious, jovial, or sarcastic you can ascertain by the type of answer and all the cards combined as well as your motivation for asking the question. Maybe your Tarot deck is saying if it answered no, you wouldn't like him anymore, you would put him in a box somewhere and not use him again! So the answer is absolutely yes! :laugh:

I don't mean to make light of an issue that may be very serious to you, I am just trying to expand the idea of the range of answers that can be provided. Maybe the Tarot is saying yes because that is what you need to hear, because to say no would cause you too many problems because you are not ready to accept that. And then Justice is indicating that you need to learn to accept the results of your actions.

LadyKathryn

JSNYC said:
The Ace of Pentacles indicates a definite yes. My impression is that the 8 of Swords indicates that a no answer... would cause problems, and that ultimately, what will happen is what is supposed to happen based on the situation as it exists and past actions. But the Ace of Pentacles is a definite yes.

I consider the 2nd and 3rd cards to be really subordinate to the answer. The card in position 1 tells you about the opposite answer, why that answer wasn't chosen or why that is the wrong answer. And the card in position 3 tells you what could change the answer, either what you could do to change the answer or what could happen to change the answer.

Whether the answer is serious, jovial, or sarcastic you can ascertain by the type of answer and all the cards combined as well as your motivation for asking the question. Maybe your Tarot deck is saying if it answered no, you wouldn't like him anymore, you would put him in a box somewhere and not use him again! So the answer is absolutely yes! :laugh:

I don't mean to make light of an issue that may be very serious to you, I am just trying to expand the idea of the range of answers that can be provided. Maybe the Tarot is saying yes because that is what you need to hear, because to say no would cause you too many problems because you are not ready to accept that. And then Justice is indicating that you need to learn to accept the results of your actions.

I aked if my recent ex girlfriend would return to me in this time period of pisces.

i know she needs to put her head in a good place and what not... but i keep getting mixed answers...so i tried your spread..and others have said yes eventually.... i had asked when..and got the 9 of cups...twice...corrosponds with piscies.. so.. lol i asked my q and got only the Ace of Pentacles *coins* in the yes positon.. the rest of the positions.. no and the advice.. didn't have any ace or magican or fool.

lol i guess i just have trouble believeing it..even though i know she still loves me. I'm just so confused by everything going on.

and lol i use my cards regardless of a yes or no.. lol... they won't be put in a box.. i use them professionally. lol ..

but clever imput to that. LOL ...

JSNYC

olivia1 said:
I'm sharing this because I'm sure others will want to know this.

JSNYC, please correct me if I am wrong but from what you explained to me via PM, if you have an emotional investment at all in the outcome then this might not work for you? Or if the situation is at all complex..even if all you are asking and seeking for is a simple yes or no? So that would leave out "will I reconcile with my mother, husband, ect?", "will my friend call me?", "will i get this job", or another one that I am super interested in "will the lady at the book store ever find my deck" kind of questions, wouldn't it? Because those are kind of questions I'm sure a few of us on here would like simple answers to but since some of us might care greatly about whether or not we ever speak to mother or get the job then the answer we would get (from your explanation) would be invalid

However, I am still lost. in the PM you said that such questions wouldn't work if one had an emotional investment in the answer...did you mean *any* at all or just a great deal? And you said it would not work if one even so much as even "thinks" they kind of know the answer even if they really dont *know* the answer and are open to hearing it. If that is the case then what kind of question does this spread work for? Because it seems that not even the most mundane ones like where a sitter wanting to know if it "will indeed rain tomorrow" if they even suspect the answer one way or the other will work for this spread. So, once again, I am sure I misunderstood what you are trying to say...
As to the first paragraph, I think you are completely correct. However, I wouldn't say that it "won't work" but rather that you are not likely to get a definitive yes or no answer. But you will get an answer, which could then lead you in the direction you need to go in.

And to your second paragraph, I would say that your predisposition, or your emotional investment in a situation has to be considered in the answer but it does not exclude you from attaining an answer.

The real crux of my point doesn't really pertain to this spread itself, it is really my belief on how the Tarot works, so thus it is open to interpretation. But I do think this spread (and the Tarot in general) will not give good answers to concrete questions when the seeker cannot possibly know the answer. And since this is a very constrained, yes or no spread, if a yes or no question is asked when a yes or no answer cannot be given, I would expect the results of the spread to be... unclear. Deeper questions or issues may need to be addressed, maybe with a deeper spread, or possibly because the answer can only be known through time or after other events have occurred. Either way, the cards will point to things outside the question, which could make the answer unclear.

To go back to your hypothetical question of, will it rain? If I asked the Tarot if it was going to rain next week, I would expect to get an, "How should I know, dummy!?!" answer. The Tarot could answer yes, because in truth either answer could be right or wrong, but then the other two cards in the spread would attempt to explain why the question is wrong and unanswerable. So in the example of the rain, you wouldn't be asking if it was going to rain next week unless there was something scheduled, which rain would ruin. So if you are a pessimist the Tarot may answer yes, only to highlight your pessimism and show you that a belief that it will rain is just as wrong as a belief that it won't. It won't rain next week due to your engagement or activity; it will rain if there is enough moisture in the air to cause it to rain!

olivia1

JSNYC said:
And to your second paragraph, I would say that your predisposition, or your emotional investment in a situation has to be considered in the answer but it does not exclude you from attaining an answer.

from your experience, how accurate was the answer you received?

To go back to your hypothetical question of, will it rain? If I asked the Tarot if it was going to rain next week, I would expect to get an, "How should I know, dummy!?!" answer. Tarot could answer yes, because in truth either answer could be right or wrong, but then the other two cards in the spread would attempt to explain why the question is wrong and unanswerable.

i was making a point. from the PM you sent, it seemed like just about every question that could be asked (that wasn't as mundane as the weather) would have been too loaded of a question for this spread. Even traffic questions "will leaving an extra hour earlier mean a more significantly less stressful commute?" seems too loaded.

So in the example of the rain, you wouldn't be asking if it was going to rain next week unless there was something scheduled, which rain would ruin.

not everyone who watches or asks for a weather report has something scheduled or a great emotional investment in whether it does or not...definietly not one that should be so great that it skews the answer. some of us just want to know whether or not we should bring an umbrella or not ;).

i just felt it odd that the spread seemed to have so many conditions which would influence whether it would work or not...more so than a typical tarot spread! I am glad you cleared that up, though. I tried this spread because I was hoping that this spread would be more efficient than just simply asking a yes or no question then laying the cards out (which already has a good accuracy rate but i'm always in the look out for something better).

Anyway, I'm glad it worked for you and I'm sure it will also work for others. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions, JSNYC, and hopefully (for those who were a bit confused like me) that they now have a better understanding of the spread you were so kind enough to share with us all.

JSNYC

t.town.troy said:
I'm still uncertain about the four of swords; could it be "try again later"?
I read the 4 of Swords together with the 8 of Swords to produce the interpretaion in my previous post, because I view the cards as being fairly related in their meanings. However, the 4 of Swords could also possibly indicate that you struggle for every spread to be "just right", maybe it is saying just relax and try it out. :grin:

t.town.troy

JSNYC said:
I read the 4 of Swords together with the 8 of Swords to produce the interpretaion in my previous post, because I view the cards as being fairly related in their meanings. However, the 4 of Swords could also possibly indicate that you struggle for every spread to be "just right", maybe it is saying just relax and try it out. :grin:
Thanks for helping me out with this (I do think I struggle for every spread to be "just right" at times). I was going to say "relax" in the earlier post, but "try again later" popped into my mind.
I just recorded an outline of this spread in my notes, so I can get my deck used to it. ;)