Tarot Spread Survey

ofbainbridge

Tarot spreads

1. What spread do you use the most?
I'm not brand loyal so to speak...

2. How many spreads do you know by heart?
3 or 4
The Celtic Cross, past, present, future, beginning energy, present energy, fading energy, beginning middle end of a story or situation...

3. Do you think it is important to have a variety of spreads for reading?
Its important to have a variety of methods to get at the information requested yes and doing so keeps readings from becoming static and worn out...

4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself? spreads you only use for others?
No If I read for myself I do it third person to remain objective and the question asked dictates what spread is used just like for anyone else...

5. What is the most useful spread you have?
Something I call the developing trends spread...which can work for almost any read...this spread looks at...developing trends and how to deal with them depending on which direction or path is chosen...

6. What defines a useful spread for you?
Relavence to the question asked is useful -
Consideration of whether or not a spread promotes independent thinking or not...

7. Where do you go to find new spreads?
I most make my own up 99% of the time...rarely I'll find some tarot forum or other to generate ideas...

ArwenNightstar

Just wanted to thank everyone who has given their input on this subject and to ask what other type of survey like this you think might make for an interesting subject. :D My hope is that by polling here and other venues (all internet at this point) that I will be able to take the pulse of the Tarot readers who are on the 'net.

Pepe

3 card spread, relationship spread and work spread, sometimes decision making spread

several 3 card spreads, hihi

yes, i think it's important, because a spread can best help the question/need of the querrent.

4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself? spreads you only use for others?
At the moment, no

3 card spread

a spread that fits the question of the querrent

forums. here :D

sweet_intuition

Celtic Cross, 7 card chakra, and any derivation of the 3 card spread

About 10 odd

Well, yes it is. However, with spreads like the Celtic Cross, one can really adapt it to be used in all kinds of situations.

Nope, use the same ones.

All my spreads are useful, but love Celtic Cross

It's adaptability, so that it can be used in as many situations as possible.

AT (;))... plus books, create my own, friends, etc etc.

Sonic

Most fascinating questions

Thank you for posting this. I am truly fascinated and enthralled with peoples input here.

I use the 1 card a lot, and the past present future layout

About 4

It is my own personal wisdom that quantity comes with age and refinement of lessons. Quality is more important above else. You can memorize every spread in the book but that won't help your divination efforts and lessons.

It is very hard to read for myself, I'm very anxious. Reading others is way easier but I use all spreads for all people, myself included.

The modified celtic cross has been turned into a life cross. The standard version of it just gave me a headache. If it's not working CHANGE IT. And life is good :)

One that tells a story, one that allows my inner guidance to come through. Choppy secular q&a really defeats the purpose.

I either make them up, or in a real pickle come online. Now I can come here and network with you lovely people.

Thanks again

practicioner

I use the golden dawn key spread the most

six

yes, for specificity's sake

i have one spread i only use for myself, but none that i use only for others

my most useful is a nine-card spread i made

useful spread doesn't "zero in" on just the present or just the future... it is broad but encompasses everything needing encompassing

i will either look in a book or browse tarotforum.net... or i just make up new spreads myself

Zombina

Probably three-card spreads. None in particular. I try to use various ones for various questions. I try to relate the spread to the question as best as possible.

Not many, but I'm practicing day by day. I keep an online journal and notebook for writing down spreads I find and look to those when doing spreads.

Yes. I think in some ways the spread you use for a reading helps the person receiving the reading understand it better if the cards have their own representation, and it also helps the one reading be able to target how that specific card drawn relates to the representation that is shown in the spread.

Plus, it's always good just to have the knowledge just in case. You never know when it might be helpful.

4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself?
No.
spreads you only use for others?
Not really. I prefer to use a certain yes/no/maybe spread that my friends came up with and shared with me. It seems to be one that has worked the best for myself and for others.

The yes/no/maybe spread mentioned in question 4, my daily card spread I came up with that combines numerology with tarot, and any that I find that relate well to the question I ask.

It all depends how well I can relate to the spread. I tend to be attracted to spreads that are simple and direct to the point. I don't like spreads that have a ton of different cards that go all over the place - I tend to lose concentration and get confused.
Likewise, if I choose a specific spread to use on someone I'm doing a reading for, I want it to be as relevant to the question as possible. If I can't find a spread online or in a book that fits the question, I try to make one up - and those are often times the most useful spreads. :p

Here, books, other online sites, friends, etc.

Caz300

The spirit spread and talking to ghosts are my favourties then generally any spread that fits what I am looking to find out

around 5/ 6 give or take depending how often I use them.

I feel different spreads offer different things to a reading therefore I like to have a spread for every imaginable possibility, althought there are some spreads which fit all situations I am more a delve right in kind of gal and don't like doing things by halves.

generally I would try the spread myself and if i like it, it would then be on offer to anyone wishing to use it.

The talking to ghost spread has been amazingly useful to me although the protection takes a while to set but it is always worth it.

i try to find one that suits a particular situation and continually provides results.

I am an avid spread collecter i have a list of spreads which I have found in books, on the internet and been provided with through either friends or e-groups, unfortunately the list keeps growing trying them all have proven to be a problem but i will eventually do them all (fingers crossed)

Umbrae

ArwenNightstar said:

3-5-7 card speads

No difference

Unanswerable

Useful? Has to be basic and flexible.

New spreads? Have the old ones worn out? I don’t fix what ain’t broken (lol)

edited to add: more spreads has never equaled better readings IMO. As to their 'shape' or name? just silliness. I'm still looking for a good 1958 Chevrolet Impala hardtop spread...

berrieh

A: I use the Celtic Cross a lot, laid out in the traditional way, but with some variation from the usual meaning in about half the positions:

#1 - Present
#2 - Obstacle/Blocked Card/Crossing
#3 - Where you're headed/How your actions are impacting the situation
#4 - Foundation (Why things are the way they are)
#5 - Recent Past
#6 - Near Future
#7 - Things that can be changed
#8 - Karma/Unstoppable forces
#9 - Advice/Guide Card/Wisdom
#10 - Outcome

Of any sort? (Self-created, from books, and from others.) All told, there are 17 I know completely and use regularly. I know several others well enough to have them and their purpose and placements memorized, so probably about 30 for memorized spreads, but I don't feel I've found anything near the real, clear potential of any but those 17.

Yes. Absolutely. Personally, I'm not one to pull additional or clarifying cards once I've laid them down, so the spread itself needs to be working.

No. Though length becomes an issue, depending on the media being used.

The CC as modified above. Also, a 5 card spread my grandmother taught me, which is another general spread.

It's ability to answer any type of question. The clarity and purpose of each position and their ability to interact with each other in meaningful ways and yet be fully isolated and defined in their own meaning at the same time. Spreads I simply use a lot and that have worked in the past. And the unknown "X" factor... something that just visually makes sense to my mind. All of my spreads emphasize the idea of "Why?" because I find that to be the most important question I can ask the Tarot.

I like to ask people and watch them lay their cards, for actual patterns or look at books. But I like to create what the placement means myself, with a few meaningful exceptions, like the 5 card spread mentioned above, which I didn't alter a bit.