Etruscan tarot: X the wheel

poopsie

Description in booklet: "I follow necessity". A divine hunter is preparing his arrow. The card shows the harmony of time and change."

At this point, I perceive that the Etruscan has really encouraged one to increase the intuitive use of it. I'd like to quote a review in the AT "cards" which featured the Etruscan Tarot as follows: "This is meditative deck, with artwork inspired by Etruscan designs. When looking at art from Greco-Roman times, the intermingling of the Aegean Sea communities, Greece, Rome and even Egyptian artwork shows up in vases, frescos and other ruins found from the edge of African and Egyptian societies to places near Greece and Italy."

Indeed the look of the human figure changes. In the past cards, we have seen either young people, royalty, aristocrats and brutes as etruscan figures. In the Wheel card, the figure changes into a "divine hunter".

I wasn't able to find an Etruscan tomb or artwork that would depict the source of the card's design, so I may think that it may have been lifted from an ancient Greek vase.

The details of the card are quite interesting. The divine hero is in the center of a "wheel" - the wheel of life, time and change? Although he walks towards the west, his head faces the east -- the description says he prepares his arrow. The artwork may be confusing but I think that's where the magic lies - the prepares his bow held by his left hand, he pulls out his arrow using his right hand. The bow and arrow are facing east, and yet the hunter walks toward the west, although his head is facing east (looking back?). I'm rambling here... hehehe

Change may be symbolized by the border above which to me appears like synchronized waves of water. The border below shows three half-circles with 4-5 segments suggesting time in a cycle or circular motion.

Let's look at the divine hunter himself -- although I did mention that this may have been lifted from an ancient Greek Vase, it is also possible that other people may see him as resembling ancient Hindu characters. I am not as familiar with Hindu history and art so it may good for those who are to also comment on this one.

If I find a character source for the card, the closest would be Orion the hunter. Wikipedia has a background on Orion as follows: "Orion is mentioned in the oldest surviving works of Greek literature, which probably date back to the 7th or 8th century BC, but which are the products of an oral tradition with origins several centuries earlier. In Homer's Iliad Orion is described as a constellation, and the star Sirius is mentioned as his dog. In the Odyssey, Odysseus sees him hunting in the underworld with a bronze club, a great slayer of animals; he is also mentioned as a constellation, as the lover of the Goddess Dawn, as slain by Artemis, and as the most handsome of the earthborn.In the Works and Days of Hesiod, Orion is also a constellation, one whose rising and setting with the sun is used to reckon the year.

Orion also has an interesting phase before he died - he was supposedly hunting with Artemis, he bragged to her and Mother Earth that he could kill all creatures on earth. Mother Earth objected and therefore created the scorpion which eventually stung him and caused his death.

Putting all these symbolic images together, what would be a way to interpret the Wheel of the Etruscan when we draw it?

We create our own fortune or wheel -- we turn it across life and across time, riding through the waves of changes that come before us, that we are presently going through, and those that we are about to encounter. Some of the changes are outside of us while others are results or effects of what we have initiated.

As the hunter, we prepare ourselves to move forward but also ensuring that we keep our backs covered, or at least, we look back to see if there are some insights we can bring that can help us in our 'hunt" for life. The thing is, hunters act like predators and this mentality was what killed Orion - the more he wanted to take, the more it became dangerous for him. Other forces can take over and in a way put a stop to all "our hunting".

If we were Orion, we also should be careful and wary that we should not want to take too much or brag too much about what we are capable of doing, especially if this will harm others. Life has a way of giving back what we have done.

The Etruscan Wheel may be about cause-and-effect, and looking at the consequences of our actions - past, present and future.

Perhaps, when we draw out this card, we can reflect on the following:

a) what are the changes currently happening in our life? Are we about to initiate new changes? Or are we also feeling like victims about past changes that may have happened? In short, how are we handling our changes?

b) What are the consequences of our future intentions and actions, should we decide to push through with them?

We need to remember that in life, there are always two sides - a blessing and a "curse" or a negative repercussion.

As we go in our hunt for something better or different, it would be good to learn from the past, flow with time and changes, be prepared but also to some extent, and in some cases, allow nature to take its course. Otherwise, when we take too much or behave like an Orion - the scorpions of life may just sting us.

annik

I agree with Orion. I thought of that too while looking at the card. I also thought the man was in a hamster wheel (but must be my twisted mind suggesting another weird thing).
I always saw this card as graceful mouvement, a bit like the Japanese Archery.

poopsie

Hi Annik,

You're right about the hamster wheel -- come to think of it ... it reminded me of the Thomas Crown Affair song --

Round like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending nor beginning
on an ever spinning reel ...

The Japanese thing does seem closer in fact than the Indian -- I guess it's because of the clothing ..