Rosicrucian cross.. Thoth backs

Freddie

Greetings All,

I was wondering if anyone here could offer any information about the back of the 'Thoth' Tarot. I can't figure out why this design was used on this type of deck as it seems the creator of it would think it was too old school 'Golden Dawn' like..Rosicruian....Christian mysticism (which is what I am practicing). I like the backs and view them as a protection symbol, but maybe that is wrong.

I have researched this, but none of the books I have address the back design of the deck. I'd say in my humble opinion, it is the best back ever with The Waite blue roses and lillies a second.

Freddie

sapienza

Hi Freddie. I like the Thoth backs as well. In DuQuette's "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" he includes (from memory) a whole section which discusses the backs of this deck. He goes into a lot of detail about the cross and its symbolism. Someone on this forum once posted that the first section of the book alone (titled something like, from memory, 'Things you need to know before working with the Thoth deck' was worth the price of the book. I'd absolutely agree.

Sorry, other than that I can't help you off the top of my head.

Curtis Penfold

I just googled "Rosicrucian cross Thoth tarot" and a book popped up that the review claimed covered this exact topic called, "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot."

I am kind of interested in the choice of using a past Occult symbol.

sapienza

DuQuette's book indeed would tell you everything you need to know. I've just dug it out....Chapter Eight - Secrets of the Rose Cross Back. The actual symbolism of the rose cross relates to (or can be related to) the tarot. From the construction of the cross from the cube, the whole 3 + 7 + 12 = 22 formula, the rose cross of being, YHVH and the four suits etc. etc. He really explains it is great detail, very easy to read and by the time I got through the chapter it seemed a logical choice for the back of the cards. Sorry, I haven't read it all for awhile so I can't give much detail at the moment. In the book he includes a colour illustration of the complete Hermetic Rose Cross, which has additional symbols to what is on the back of the cards. It's quite fascinating really. :)

nisaba

Freddie said:
I was wondering if anyone here could offer any information about the back of the 'Thoth' Tarot. I can't figure out why this design was used on this type of deck as it seems the creator of it would think it was too old school 'Golden Dawn' like..Rosicruian....Christian mysticism (which is what I am practicing). ... I'd say in my humble opinion, it is the best back ever
It's very close to identical with the back of the Wang-Regardie Golden Dawn deck. This begs questions about GD symbolism.

Grigori

nisaba said:
It's very close to identical with the back of the Wang-Regardie Golden Dawn deck. This begs questions about GD symbolism.

What questions do you mean Nisaba?

nisaba

Well ...

for a start, we know the Thoth wasn't actually published for decades, probably until after the GD deck.

I'm wondering if FH designed the back, and if so, was it to tight instructions (as we seem to have evidence that the rest of the deck wasn't that tightly dictated to her). If she did, where did the symbolism come from: Crowley or the standard GD teachings? If she didn't, who chose the backs, and where from?

Wang was more tightly directed by REgardie when he illustrated the GD deck, I believe. Did he also illustrate the backs, or again, was that chosen later (or earlier) and if so, who put it together.

And that's just questions for starters off the top of a very tired mind who should go to bed.

Grigori

nisaba said:
for a start, we know the Thoth wasn't actually published for decades, probably until after the GD deck.

I s'pose that depends on what you mean by published. The book for the Book of Thoth was out in the 40's, so the deck was "available" then, though not a usable version for reading etc.. The GD deck was theoretically hand created by each member of the order individually for a long time before that, by copying from the original produced by Mathers (and likely actually executed by his wife Moina). I suspect Wang's deck which was published in the late 70's would be the first version of the GD deck commonly/commercially available. The Thoth was out before that with Weiser's edition in the early 70's, and the USG version out a couple of years before Wang's was released. However Regardie published the GD papers including a description of their tarot well before Crowley published the Book of Thoth so the description was already common knowledge. I don't think any mention is made of the backs there, hence its variation in different versions of the GD deck.

Hmm that's complicated, the simple timeline version is
Regardies GD text -> Crowley's Thoth text -> Crowley Deck -> Wangs deck
Nisaba said:
I'm wondering if FH designed the back,

No way, the Rosy Cross is a symbol older than the GD by far, and not invented by Freida Harris. It was maybe developed by the GD folks for their specific usage, I'm not sure on how much they added to it, but all their initiates would make their own as a lamen along the path of initiation. Many decades before Freida Harris came along. The Thoth back is just a simplified version of what was a common image to members of the GD or Crowley's orders.

Nisaba said:
and if so, was it to tight instructions (as we seem to have evidence that the rest of the deck wasn't that tightly dictated to her).

I don't think any such evidence exists, but that's maybe a different thread. This suggestion only seems to come from folks who want to make it clear that Crowley was not involved in the creation of the Crowley deck :laugh: Not that I'm suggesting FH had no input, she obviously had a great deal.

Nisaba said:
If she did, where did the symbolism come from: Crowley or the standard GD teachings? If she didn't, who chose the backs, and where from?

I suspect Wang took the idea from Crowley. Since all the previous GD decks were handmade, I doubt any had backs as we expect them on a mass produced deck. Hand drawing 78 images would be hard work enough, let along going back to do 78 identical backs :eek:

Nisaba said:
Wang was more tightly directed by REgardie when he illustrated the GD deck, I believe. Did he also illustrate the backs, or again, was that chosen later (or earlier) and if so, who put it together.

I don't know how tightly directed he was, the cards follow the basic text book GD description (apparently with a number of errors), but I don't think Regardie really had a big role in the actual execution, and if he did maybe he was too polite to say what he didn't like at the time.... I know the Cicero's claim that Regardie was unsatisfied with the Wang deck, and subsequently claim his support for their own GD deck (though Regardie was not part of that process either apart from seeing some early sketches before his death). I suspect the back of the Wang GD deck was done by the publisher, as its not really artistically similar to Wang's work on the fronts. Though that's a guess of course.

Probie

Forget the history - use them for reading!

I'm not too concerned about the history (though it sure is probably great), but I use them for reading. When I was first introduced to elemental dignitaries (ED or EDs), I was told look at the back of the Thoth Tarot. The colors for the elementals were:

Fire = red
Water = blue
Air = yellow
Earth = black[ish]

If they were across from each other, then they were weakened/contrary to each other. Of course same elementals were then (what I call) ally cards and either (as with fire-squared/air-squared) become very active or (as with water-squared/earth-squared) very passive. Squared is a better way IMHO to think of them then "x2" because a squaring is usual more intense. Then I realized you could do more with them too.

If you drew lines sloping downward to the left (in your mind only!), you found the friendly elemental for cards (fire & air are friendly as well as water & earth) that just strengthen each other only. Lastly, you can discover the neutral ED pairings by making imaginary downward sloping lines going to the right leading to the other configurations (fire & earth as well as air & water). Neutral cards, of course, do not effect one another much like strangers crossing each other on a busy street.

Due to my human services background, I've even come up with a ED genogram diagram so I can re-create my morning 7 card spread from memory along with all the ED relationships. So when I'm bored @ work or in a sleep-inducing workshop, I've got some strange doodles in my notebook...:laugh:

Aeon418

Freddie said:
I can't figure out why this design was used on this type of deck as it seems the creator of it would think it was too old school 'Golden Dawn' like..Rosicruian....Christian mysticism (which is what I am practicing). I like the backs and view them as a protection symbol, but maybe that is wrong.
The Golden Dawn teachings are the foundation of Crowley's work. But within it the seemingly "old school" stuff frequently takes on new and expanded meanings or an altered significance. Crowley was well aware of the older meanings of the Rose Cross, but over time he developed new levels of interpretation that are still consistent with the older meanings.

For Crowley the Rose Cross came to symbolise the Union of Nuit and Hadit. Nuit is the Infinite expansion of the Rose and Hadit is the Infinite contraction of the Cross. This is a fitting symbol for the Adeptus Minor, one who consumated the union of Nuit and Hadit within themselves. In this sense the Rosy Cross is Ra-Hoor-Khuit, and a very apt symbol for a Thelemic deck.