Origin of current Thoth backs

Freddie

Greetings All,

I have tried to research the origin of the current backs of the Thoth pack, but I haven't had any luck. Does anyone here know how the Rosy Cross design came to be used on the back of the deck? I saw an early (pre Us Games) deck by S. Weiser that had a different back on the net and it seems a mystery to me.

Has anyone here went to see the original paintings????? I'm hoping to see them in London if they show any of the restored paintings. I wish the Waite-Smith deck originals had survived as those would be cool to see as well.

Thanks to the experts here for educating me about this deck, Uncle Al and Frieda as much of what I read about both seems to be untrue.

Cheers

Freddie

Abrac

I haven't seen the originals but DuQuette says it was painted by Harris.

As for why it was chosen, he says: "I would soon learn that this was the device worn as the personal lamen of initiates of the Golden Dawn who achieved the degree of Adeptus Minor (the same in which they are required to paint their own deck of tarot cards)." That may be one reason why it was chosen, but I'm sure there was more than one reason.

What did the back design from the Weiser deck you saw look like?

Abrac

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the current back is the original. With as much attention as has been focused on Crowley and this tarot, if there was another (original) back I'm sure it would have surfaced by now. :)

Grigori

The current backs were printed in the first edition of the Book of Thoth. I think it's very certain that Freida painted them and they were the original planned backs. There are images of the original BoT online showing the backs included, but I can't seem to find any right now.... A little help anyone?

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
You can see a few of the original 1943/44 print blocks here:
http://weiserantiquarian.com/catalogtwenty/

Ah perfect, knew you would know!

An original engraved printing block. This was one of a set of blocks used to reproduce the color Rose-Cross design that was intended for the reverse of the cards in the Thoth tarot deck. It was used to print the design in the First Edition of The Book of Thoth 1944), and for the prototype of the tarot card itself (1943). The engraving presents a reverse (mirror) image of the Rose-Cross design. It is moderately finely executed and has three asymmetrical cut-aways to limbs of the cross, accentuating it. Overall VG condition. (32841) SOLD

Aeon418

And those blocks were used for this: (also on the same web page)
Aleister Crowley, & Frieda Harris, Two Tarot Cards - 'The Lovers' and 'The Ace of Swords,' from the 1943 test printing of the Thoth Deck. [London]: NP, circa 1943. Two 5 1/4" x 3 1/2" color-printed sample cards: one of 'The Lovers,' and one of 'The Ace of Swords.' In 1943 Crowley had a series of collotype printing blocks made to reproduce in color the images of seven individual tarot cards plus the design that he intended to have printed on the reverse side of each card. The plates were primarily struck so that high-quality color prints could be made to tip into his forthcoming The Book of Thoth, however he also took advantage of their availability to have a small test run of those cards made, for distribution to friends and acquaintances who might be persuaded to help finance the full printing of the pack. These are two of that test run. Each with the Rose Cross design on the back. Very unusual, and the true first printing of one of the most famous tarot decks. (32860) SOLD

Freddie

Grettings All,

Thanks for this information. I have a copy of 'Book of Thoth', but my version have nothing in it about the backs.

Great links thanks!!!

Freddie

ravenest

Abrac said:
That may be one reason why it was chosen, but I'm sure there was more than one reason.

Its also a perfectly good glyph to represent the tarot energies (check the full G.D. one) starting at the rose and the division of the letters into their elemental, planetary and zodiacal forms, the four elements, the colours, etc, actually it would be hard to come up with a better glyph that shows these tarot 'energies' .