can anyone help?

martyn_uk

I just had a thoth deck given to me.I was told it was form an antique market in France (hmm I hear you say!)
well, the cards are large with a blue/greenish border.The Rosy cross is on the back(borderless) but...some of the cards seem a little blurry and nowhere near as good as the Thoth decks available now.
Have I aquired an antique Thoth or is it a fake?

martyn xx

gregory

You've probably got an A, B or C (and it very likely did come from a French fleamarket !) See Tarot garden's page with all of them shown. I have two like that, one an A (as I recall) and one a "greeny" - which yours clearly isn't. Borderless backs are much sought after on this forum, if you want to pass it on; Deanres is particularly keen - or was a few months back !

There are MANY threads about the various things..... I like the Icky Green Deck thread best...

martyn_uk

awesome!..I just had a look and mine looks like the "A" deck.
would love to get rid of it so if you hear of anyone, let me know.

martyn xx

inanna_tarot

i have a inky green and a very slight green C type thoth and I love them both. I couldnt get rid of them lol I've also got a regular bordered back thoth but its nothing compared to the look and feel of my C type decks.

You have an A and you want to get rid?! Cant imagine it!

Sezo
x

Lillie

There are two types of large thoth with borderless backs.

The best and simplest way to tell them apart is to look at the front borders.

The A's and B's have plain front borders, a pale blue/white variable sort of colour.
The C's have patterns on the greenish borders. These are the icky green decks I love so much.

Telling an A from a B is a bit trickier.
I think the diagnostic thing (if you don't have a box) is to look for the presence of absence of the 8 on the 8 of cups.

The print quaity on the A's and B's is awful.

fyreflye

TYpe "A" is not uncommon on eBay (I have one) but the Llewellyn Type "B" with the Hong Kong printing is much rarer. I'm still looking to buy one of those. BTW, Tarot Garden seems to have missed the fact that the earlier edition of the Large Swiss had two versions - one with the three versions of the Magus card, and one with the standard Magus card plus a Unicursal Hexagram and the O.T.O. card. I have both.

Dean

Uk

Hi Martyn,

I just got your pm the best thing to see if yours is one of the early editions is look at the front borders, mainly plain white or pale blue colour i dont know if you have seen Tarot Garden's Thoth editions list, but that should help you find out which deck you have.

I have the Llewellyn 2 part white and gold edition which as the 8 missing from the cups, if your 8 is also missing on the Indolence card then you have the same edition as me.

gregory

fyreflye said:
BTW, Tarot Garden seems to have missed the fact that the earlier edition of the Large Swiss had two versions - one with the three versions of the Magus card, and one with the standard Magus card plus a Unicursal Hexagram and the O.T.O. card. I have both.
It has them both listed - one with the aysmmetrical box (3 magus cards, listed as Swiss blue box A) and one symmetrical (one magus ! - Swiss blue box B)
(I have 2 A type German, one large and one pocket ! And an A (Weiser), and a greeny, and a USG green box. But I still don't own a red and black hexagram card ! :( My greeny came in a lovely wooden box, but had just 78 cards.)

martyn_uk

:)

i have found out which deck it is.
deanres told me it's the 1969 "A" deck.

perhaps i will hold on to it after all!

martyn xx

fyreflye

gregory said:
It has them both listed - one with the aysmmetrical box (3 magus cards, listed as Swiss blue box A) and one symmetrical (one magus ! - Swiss blue box B)

Read my post again - carefully.