Finally! Chronata's tarot deck in progress

M-Press

Hi there!

BEAUTIFUL work!

You seem on a natural flow..I especially like the Sun, the way it peeks out of the curtain...So theatrical!
I have been a puppet maker as well, back then when I could still play around with glue-an dhad unlimited time!
I think you manage to transform a unique authenticy, that comes from your love and passion for the scene...
Way to go!
Good luck!

Aura Wolf

Mmmm....you've sold me, Chronata :)

Majecot

Beautiful..... I can't wait till they are all done.

I am sooo close I can drive there and get mine.... mercenary30... I am closer than you are :D

Mimers

Chronata! They are beautiful! What a darling deck. I especially love your Empress. I cant wait to see more cards. Your work is beautiful!

Mimi

mercenary30

Majecot said:
Beautiful..... I can't wait till they are all done.

I am sooo close I can drive there and get mine.... mercenary30... I am closer than you are :D

I will take the ferry from Ludington... :p

Chronata, put on some coffee or tea after your deck is done, Majecot and I are coming to get our decks in person. I will bring the gormet cookies (made by me of course).

Astra

Chronata, the next time you say you're not a "real" artist, I'll..., I'll..., I don't know what I'll do, but I'll think of something!

Credentials are what companies look for when they're hiring someone with no history of doing artwork and the Personnel Manager doesn't know how to judge. Otherwise, an artist is someone who creates art and works his/her tuchas off to make it as good as it can be, and comes back later and says - "that could be better - what if I....."

The step of putting out out in public to see how many other people like it enough to spend money on it (the REAL test of the work), is always a big one the first couple of hundred times.

Lady Eclipse

Hi Chronata,

What beautiful cards! Why in the world would you think you're not a real artist? You're very talented.

Joy to you,
Maralee

blue_fusion

it's been quite a while since i last visited aeclectic. and my oh my, what lovely decks we now have in the tarot deck creation section of the forums!

i especially love your deck Chronata. :) the illustrations have that whimsical, dreamy quality to them. for some reason, they remind me of the illustrations on the covers of them harry potter books. keep up good work.

blue_fusion

Dark_angel

Oh Chronata, I love your work! And the card you sent me is still up on my desk, as it's so beautiful. I think my favourite card is the Empress, but they're all stunning, so it's difficult to choose. When you take pre-orders, you can put my name down!

In a way, it makes me think of a darker MoonGarden, in that it's a slightly whimsical deck but the dark romance of the time comes through.

I love it.

Ironwing

I don't like plays, puppets, carnival masks, the circus, etc...anything to do with the theater provokes a visceral revulsion in me. But I DO like these cards. I too am reminded of Tarot of a Moon Garden...but these are more sophisticated. I like the colors and composition, but it is the faces that really make the pictures - they are very sensitively done, and the expressions make the cards come alive.

On being a "professional" artist: I have been selling and teaching my art for 12 years. I am completely self taught, but this has never been an issue with galleries, customers or schools - all of whom define me as a "professional". The ONLY time it has ever come up is when I have tried to get commissions as a scientific illustrator. I have had two book publishers ready to draw up contracts who backed out angrily when they found out that I have a M.S. in Geology, not a M.F.A.!

For a tarot deck I think it's utterly irrelevant. There are several decks created by people who have never done ANY art that are just as popular as those created by "trained" artists.

Don't hide behind the "I'm not a professional!" statement. Claim your ability. Accept praise and criticism. Seek your true vision and work hard to create it. Some will not understand, but you will also delight many people.

Lorena