why cant people say what they do....

BeyondtheVeil

Umbrae

Clearly you are confused and need to be given some much needed information. :)

Accuracy is NOT subjective.You don't need an "old thread" but rather a dictionary. I have decided to help you out..here you go.... :thumbsup:

Here are some definitions since you clealry have no idea what you are talking about.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/accuracy
1 : freedom from mistake or error : correctness
2 a :conformity to truth or to a standard or model : exactness b : degree of conformity of a measure to a standard or a true value — compare precision 2a
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/accuracy
ac·cu·ra·cy
NOUN:
1.Conformity to fact.
2.Precision; exactness.
3.The ability of a measurement to match the actual value of the quantity being measured.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/accuracy
ac·cu·racy (ak′yə rə sē)
noun
the quality or state of being accurate or exact; precision; exactness

Clearly, accuracy is NOT subjective!:thumbsup: It is either accurate or it is not period.:D This is not my 'feelings/opinions/thoughts on the matter but FACT. This is how EVERYONE should understand the meaning of the word. It clearly has a defined meaning. It means exactness. No mistakes.
If in your readings that you don't have that.. you are not accurate. Period.

I hope that I finally cleared up the actual meaning of "accuracy" for you.

BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

Umbrae said:
Scuze me?

I know some auto mechanics that are far more intuitive than most psychics.
Your sentence makes no sense. If to you, the words psychic and intuitive mean the same thing that's fine and dandy. But don't be so quick to state that everybody (the general public) thinks or feels the same way.

They don't. The words are not interchangeable. They mean different things.

Psychic readings, and intuitive readings are not the same thing. The latter becomes a malapropism when used as a substitute for the former.

This is how "I" think of the two words. I will gladly look them up if you want me to. :) I think though since I was stating that is how "I" thought about it.. and not stating it as 'fact".. I will let it stand. They are "interchangable" to me. I think in my own personal experiences they go hand and hand.

To clarify what I said..... I said "I" the general public -{meaning that "I" do NOT give professonal readings so therefore I am answering as the "general public" and not a professional reader}. I did not say I was answering as the entire general public. :thumbsup:

Umbrae said:
Accuracy? ACCURACY??? Here we go again...

First we butcher the English language, by assuming that different words with different meanings are the same. And now we are to discuss accuracy?

Accuracy is subjective, and I a bit of research on a couple old threads would help clarify that one for you.
Since I have already covered this with FACT.. I don't thnk I need to continue here. Accuracy is NOT subjective. It has a defined meaning which is clear.

BeyondtheVeil

gregory

Accuracy in tarot is a whole different thing from the dictionary meaning. Are you saying that the kind of reading you expect is one where the reader gives you detailed predictive information and you expect it to come to pass, to the letter ?

I would never expect that from any kind of reading. But by the dictionary, that would be accuracy.

While I rarely agree with Umbrae ;), I think it is completely uncalled for to say that he "clearly does not know what he is talking about". In the matter of the meanings of words here, I would have to say that I agree with him. The dictionary is in any case generally a starting point, IMHO. All words have nuances.

Umbrae, you have my permission to faint :D

BeyondtheVeil

gregory said:
Accuracy in tarot is a whole different thing from the dictionary meaning. Are you saying that the kind of reading you expect is one where the reader gives you detailed predictive information and you expect it to come to pass, to the letter ?
I would never expect that from any kind of reading. But by the dictionary, that would be accuracy.

I disagree. Yes.. in the post that "I" wrote talking about the reader who gives me 'accurate" readings.. I expect and get "predictive information that comes to pass to the letter". I, of course, am only talking about my experience with a specific accurate reader.

gregory said:
While I rarely agree with Umbrae ;), I think it is completely uncalled for to say that he "clearly does not know what he is talking about". In the matter of the meanings of words here, I would have to say that I agree with him. The dictionary is in any case generally a starting point, IMHO. All words have nuances.

I think it is completely uncalled for to get a rude reply to a post that I am stating on my own thoughts/feelings. I am merely clearing up Umbrae's "opinion" of what they think from fact. I see nothing wrong with that since it was brought up rudely by Unbrae. I merely responsed.

As for 'accuracy' I also clearly stated in my post what "I" thought accuracy meant with that reader. If there is any disagreement with what accuracy means.. I merely gave multiple fact based definitions to support the accuracy "I" was describing in my post. I also think most paying people/sitters expect most information given in a reading to be accurate. Or atleast most of it.

I think "most" readers do have that idea of if I get a couple of things I am "accurate". The dictionary definition is also my definition of accuracy. I have a great reader that is accurate. The accuracy as in the dictionary's definition. It is perfection that can be done and is expected from me when "I" pay to get a predictive reading. Others can and may have other ideas. I will decide in my own post and description of my own personal experiences with a reader, what "I" mean when I say accurate. That is my point.

Peace,
BeyondtheVeil

moderndayruth

BeyondtheVeil said:
Accuracy is NOT subjective.You don't need an "old thread" but rather a dictionary. I have decided to help you out..here you go.... :thumbsup:
All of AT members who have posted in this thread know how to and can use a dictionary.
As a long-term poster, i would ask you indeed to go through the older threads to understand what's been discussed here because the way in which you are insulting one of our most respectable members is unacceptable.

Umbrae

Its okay to disagree, no problem here.

Accuracy as used to define readings, is usually actually validation. Dissimilar but also confused.

Psychic and Intuitive are also - not the same thing.

Yes I was rude. For that I apologise. There was a tone in the post I was responding to that I found assumptive in nature, and in error by content - but it made me respond. It forced me to think about how I feel - which I expressed. For that I thank you.

photokat

Umbrae said:

Yes I was rude. For that I apologise.

Oh please - that's your most appealing asset !

pasara

I think an intuitive reading is different from a psychic reading, and I also think it is different from what you are calling a "traditional Tarot reading." Here is how I see them being different, though this is just my own understanding of it and is not meant to be an official definition in any way.

A Tarot reader has studied the "language" of the cards and reads them out of that knowledge and understanding, looking at them individually and by position (when applicable,) and then holistically, that is reading the spread as a whole and how cards relate to one another. That is how I would define a basic Tarot reading.

An intuitive reader may diverge quite a bit from the norms of others in reading, cards may mean one thing in one reading, another thing in another reading, depending on what speaks to them more strongly in the particular case. This is a freer way of interpreting the cards, that often works more out of the actual picture before them (though not always.)

A psychic reader will integrate his or her psychic abilities in conjunction with the cards to pick up additional energies and messages.

Like I said, these are just my own personal interpretations and what I think when I see people describe themselves one way or another. I think it is find for people to use these terms when they are marketing themselves because it gives at least some indication of their style and approach to reading. I think excellent readings can come using any of these approaches. Inept ones can too, and everything in between. If you find a great reader the terminology won't matter to you, but when you are just looking and they all seem the same, it can be helpful as some place to start.

To me it is just like how restaurants market themselves. Their sign can say "gourmet" or "fine dining" or "the best in the city" or whatever, but it is going to come down to whether you had a good dinner or not. The description is just to draw you in, which is their business, and we all know that.

There is nothing wrong with trying to make your skills stand out in some way that reflects what you are offering. People who are reading professionally do hope to make a living of some sort and can't without clients. Whatever the approach or choice of label, it is competence that matters.

Grizabella

I think we find the most "accuracy" in cold readings. A good cold reader can get you right down to a T but a legitimate Tarot reader doesn't even try. The legitimate reader will only do his/her best to relay the meanings they read in the cards. They read cards, they don't read people.

gregory

BeyondtheVeil said:
I think it is completely uncalled for to get a rude reply to a post that I am stating on my own thoughts/feelings. I am merely clearing up Umbrae's "opinion" of what they think from fact. I see nothing wrong with that since it was brought up rudely by Unbrae. I merely responsed.
I think to use the term "uncalled for" in response to "uncalled for" can hardly be called rude. I borrowed your words.

But every word in the English language (I am not fluent enough in any other to be sure of them) has nuances. I don't think a dictionary definition can be held up as the ultimate.
However - if we are to do that, I couldn't resist my dictionary::

Tarot: a game played with, or each card of, a pack of 78 cards.

Oops.