Antidepressants and your intuition.

*morwenna*

Hello everyone. I am just wondering if anyone has found that their intuition is a lot better when not taking antidepressents. I found that I can tune in a lot better without them. Has anyone found this?

Anyankah

I didn't, but that sounds entirely believable. They change your brain function; ideally in a mostly positive way, but they can and do have all sorts of mental effects.

Abrac

I don't know if antidepressants could directly influence intuition or not. But they could theoretically influence the amount of time a person spends doing readings which could be indirectly influential.

Antidepressants are frequently prescribed for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I wouldn't call Tarot reading a disorder, but if a person is inclined toward obsessive-compulsive behavior they might be drawn to the ritualistic aspects of reading the cards. If a person was on antidepressants they might lose some of the obsession with reading.

suedeheadsmiths

Wow I'm not alone in this world. I just recently asked if being being bi-polar (manic depressive) can affect my readings. I have a problem because I always think negatively about getting cards that I really fear eg.(Devil, Tower, just about any swords). I also have so obsessive compulsive behaviors, and I'll admit I do multiple readings. I just get fascinated with shuffling over and over to see what pops up next. I know I have a problem with it, and I share it with my therapist all the time and she says I take it too seriously. I'm not sure though how intuitive I am because I am pretty negative most of the time.

Chris

connegrl

This is really kind of loaded! If you are depressed and I mean really depressed, you need help treating the underlying cause of the depression. That comes first. You also need therapy to learn about the causes of your depression. MD's will just prescribe Prozac or what ever and they won't help you find out why you're really depressed. Working with the Tarot can help you find some of those underlying causes of depression. Christine Jette has a book that guides you thru the process. Of course there are some forms of depression that are genetic in nature. Bottom line is the help of a professional is certainly a wise choice. And there are therapists who will prefer to use natural anti depressants. Your body will respond slower, but better to these depending on the severity of the depression. Too bad there aren't more really good therapists. There are a few therapists who actually use the Tarot in their practice.

That being said...many of the anti depressants out there are unpopular with creative people. They say that they lose their creative edge. Many artists do their best work when they are verging on being suicidal. Take that pain away and they don't have the urge to work. Anti depressants can also have a 'muffling' effect. You can feel sort of numb. They may not affect your intuition. That's the little voice in you that you need to listen to. Not the manic one that tells you that yes, you can fly. But, I do believe that anti depressants will affect any psychic ablity that you have. Not only will they affect serotonin production, but they can affect how the neurons in your brain fire.

Good luck!

Jen

Alissa

This is my opinion only: drugs which dampen your emotions are not Tantrically-positive drugs to take.

When you medicate your emotions to a flat line and live that way consistently in your life, you're removing all emotional feedback that comes from your soul. That includes intuition, empathic awareness, and in the worst cases, it removes compassion from the drug-taker (they feel "nothing").

That said, there are cases where medication is medically necessary to keep people alive and to keep them from hurting themselves, or others.

Gayla

I take zoloft...I don't feel like it hampers my intuitive ability at all...if anything it probably helps because I am a much more cool, calm and collected person when I am taking zoloft. But, zoloft is a very mild antidepressent...I would think a really strong antidepressent would be a problem.

Anyankah

connegrl said:
You also need therapy to learn about the causes of your depression. MD's will just prescribe Prozac or what ever and they won't help you find out why you're really depressed.

I agree that it is very important to figure out the root causes. Therapy is the way to do this for some people but not others. And medication, though a kludge, can be useful in this: it's easier to sort out your life if you're functional.

connegrl said:
Anti depressants can also have a 'muffling' effect. You can feel sort of numb.

For some people that is one possible effect. Some people feel less numb. Some people feel more intuitive when they're emotional and some people feel less. What matters is whether it allows you to live your life more the way you want or not.

Anyankah

Gayla said:
But, zoloft is a very mild antidepressent...I would think a really strong antidepressent would be a problem.

What makes you say that? All the SSRI's are fairly similar, and far from what I would think of as mild. They mess with your brain function (which sometimes people need and is worth it.) With regards to mildness in general, as opposed to individual reactions (which vary tremendously, both between the same person on different medications and between different people on the same medication), what matters more is the dosage. Do you mean that it's an SSRI as opposed to a different class of antidepressant? The older ones had more side effects, the newer ones have more varied effects.

Original Destiny

Ive never had to take a prescribed anti depressant but recently due to being fleeced by a friend for a very large sum of money, plus being interviewed by the police and put on the whitness protection list for his coming court case...(he is charged with 24 offences of fraud, deception and money laundering totalling £800,000) and having to rebuild my business, I took CALMS a natural herbal anti depressant for a while....this enabled me to sleep without the bad panic dreams and the panic attacks I got during the day...once got my business back on the up i stopped taking them.

The pressure caused by being let down by a friend both financial and emotional lead to me consulting the cards daily for support. I found that taking the pills didnt hamper my insight and the support I got from daily readings got me through this bad patch....