The unwashed general public & the book of Thoth

Tanga

Erm... I didn't mean to suggest joining was traumatic, I was looking at the underlying feelings and thoughts that might surface in the process, much like doing anything. I would think that making an opening post on a forum that gets no replies would also trigger feelings, some more accessible than others.

Lets not forget what initiation actually IS ... and many of these groups are initiatory societies.

Traumatic ? It was supposed to be traumatic ! ... emotive, aware, in shock, have fear, mysterious, be revealed, overjoyed, ecstatic ..... you might even die from the process !
Your 'feelings' are SUPPOSED to be triggered !

Thats all a bit too much nowadays eh ? What a bunch of pussies we have become ....
"Oh, my letter didnt get answered ... oh, I was spoken to in a way I didnt like ..."

What ? Too hard Princess ! - get over it ... and your self ! })

Okay, I am finished with that now ;)

YES.
Took the words (that I hesitated to express) right out of my mouth. Lol.
(being perfectly emotive then. Lol).
I read - about the "good old" initiation rites. Not that 'old' really for covens but...
So - I was patient. (my mum would call it my father's stubbornness).

I love mangoes... *goes to see if there are any in the kitchen...*

P.S. to ravenest: and ahh ravenest... as of tonight, I am the only girl in my Kung Fu class. Any advice?
Bwahahahahah!

Barleywine

P.S. to ravenest: and ahh ravenest... as of tonight, I am the only girl in my Kung Fu class. Any advice?
Bwahahahahah!

I can answer that, in the words of Don Henley:

Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em all around

ETA: Or, in the immortal words of John Cleese (slightly edited): "Oh. I hadn't fully divined your attitude towards the (classmates)" (?)

smw

Erm... I didn't mean to suggest joining was traumatic, I was looking at the underlying feelings and thoughts that might surface in the process, much like doing anything. I would think that making an opening post on a forum that gets no replies would also trigger feelings, some more accessible than others.

Lets not forget what initiation actually IS ... and many of these groups are initiatory societies.

Traumatic ? It was supposed to be traumatic ! ... emotive, aware, in shock, have fear, mysterious, be revealed, overjoyed, ecstatic ..... you might even die from the process ! Your 'feelings' are SUPPOSED to be triggered !

Thats all a bit too much nowadays eh ? What a bunch of pussies we have become .... "Oh, my letter didnt get answered ... oh, I was spoken to in a way I didnt like ..."

Its interesting to see the differences of opinion about it all from those that have bitten the mango and those that have not.

I am not quite sure how my post led to what seems to me a distorted reply from you ): I was just contributing some thoughts on no replies from letters. I was interested in possible feelings or reactions, not attempting to give an opinion on traumatic initiation or otherwise, in societies or orders that I have no experience of.

eta as for the comment "Too hard Princess ! - get over it ... and your self ! "- please can you not make unpleasant remarks like that when replying to one of my posts.

earthair

Traumatic ? It was supposed to be traumatic ! ... emotive, aware, in shock, have fear, mysterious, be revealed, overjoyed, ecstatic ..... you might even die from the process ! Your 'feelings' are SUPPOSED to be triggered !

Thats all a bit too much nowadays eh ? What a bunch of pussies we have become .... "Oh, my letter didnt get answered ... oh, I was spoken to in a way I didnt like ..."

Its interesting to see the differences of opinion about it all from those that have bitten the mango and those that have not.

Hmmm verrry interesting. So these initiation ceremonies where you might die from the process, I assume as it's a ceremony in a building, that there is no actual real risk...or is there? Because you can't really bite the melon unless you are actually doing something which is actually dangerous which regularly kills people... which is out of the control of the participants?
I've always assumed (and please correct me if I'm wrong!) but the raison d'etre of orders is for spiritual enlightenment, part of which is only attainable if one is properly, really, actually in a life or death situation?

ETA what is going on with quotes not working at the moment?! :D

earthair

I am not quite sure how my post led to what seems to me a distorted reply from you ): I was just contributing some thoughts on no replies from letters. I was interested in possible feelings or reactions, not attempting to give an opinion on traumatic initiation or otherwise, in societies or orders that I have no experience of.

eta as for the comment "Too hard Princess ! - get over it ... and your self ! "- please can you not make unpleasant remarks like that when replying to one of my posts.

I think -if I understand ravenest's post -he was in character, talking as if to an audience, so I don't think he meant to direct that at you personally smw, even though I can see how it would feel like that to you. :livelong:

smw

I think -if I understand ravenest's post -he was in character, talking as if to an audience, so I don't think he meant to direct that at you personally smw, even though I can see how it would feel like that to you. :livelong:

Thank you earthair :) I thought I might have to look over my posts tomorrow with fresh eyes, maybe I came across as really annoying or attempting to give opinions on things I don't know about:(

Barleywine

Hmmm verrry interesting. So these initiation ceremonies where you might die from the process, I assume as it's a ceremony in a building, that there is no actual real risk...or is there? Because you can't really bite the melon unless you are actually doing something which is actually dangerous which regularly kills people... which is out of the control of the participants?
I've always assumed (and please correct me if I'm wrong!) but the raison d'etre of orders is for spiritual enlightenment, part of which is only attainable if one is properly, really, actually in a life or death situation?

I may be way off-base, but it seems to me such death-and-resurrection rituals are intended to be purely symbolic and have their roots in Rosicrucianism. But some of Crowley's rituals where he professes to eat wafers made of "impure" or "Moon" - I assume he means menstrual - blood, now those would give me pause!

thorhammer

I may be way off-base, but it seems to me such death-and-resurrection rituals are intended to be purely symbolic and have their roots in Rosicrucianism. But some of Crowley's rituals where he professes to eat wafers made of "impure" or "Moon" - I assume he means menstrual - blood, now those would give me pause!

I'm pretty sure the recipe for Cakes of Light does specify menstrual blood as one ingredient.

ravenest

YES.
Took the words (that I hesitated to express) right out of my mouth. Lol.
(being perfectly emotive then. Lol).
I read - about the "good old" initiation rites. Not that 'old' really for covens but...
So - I was patient. (my mum would call it my father's stubbornness).

I love mangoes... *goes to see if there are any in the kitchen...*

Bwahahahahah!

Yes, flummox them with circular yielding movements ... thurn that Bwahahahaha into Bhwa ha BAGUA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baguazhang

ravenest

Sorry, I was commenting on the original idea of 'traumatic' , I should have quoted the person that first said it , but then, it was more me reacting to the word than any person here, so sorry about that.

The comments dont refer to you, they refer to the people I was bitching about. And I just let it flow ..... owww ...

And I am assuming the supporting comments realised that as well, and where not supporting me going off at you for no reason. I certainly dont want people to stop voicing their frustrations or experiences as a seeker, I am hoping to address some if I can.

My apologies. (actually I will go back and edit my post ) .